87 ET 77 Militant

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 310
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Picked up the Mili this morning and I'm well impressed, even sprayed the underneath which I hadn't expected (or discussed) within the price. Looks very smart, took it to nearby Ashbourne truck workshop for a few finishing touches. Hope to show it for the first time this weekend. Jerry can holder & Oxy box will be put in place next week.:D

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

Thanks for the comments, the bodyshop certainly met the brief of 'doesn't have to be a mint job, just a good job' so well pleased. The rear marker boards & missing side reflectors are being fitted along with the missing light guard come step under the bumper, they'd also sprayed the internals of the cab doors which saves me a job. Tub of red liquid was, I believe, hydraulic oil for a skip wagon under restoration after mine.

Very smart indeed Nick. It makes all your preparatory hard work worthwhile, you'll just need to keep it looking like that now.

indeed Iain, once it's at its new storage home I can get the huge tarp over it. Bodyshop reckons £300 ish to tidy up the paintwork if required in years to come. I need to order the pressed metal number plates from somewhere and the missing cupola pad, I may well copy Iain's spare wheel cover too :D

Yes lost the crane control cover on M1 by Luton, so need that too - was there another cover then Iain?

two pack expoy BS285 NATO green if I remember correctly pal.

Thanks Nick.

yes, as well as the canopy for the operator there should be a small bag like cover that goes over the controls and clips onto a row of fastners that are inline with the bolts that hold the top on. I have the fastners but no cover, I've never seen one or a canopy so not sure what materiel they are made of. Possibly canvas or maybe plastic?

Iain

Thanks Nick.

yes, as well as the canopy for the operator there should be a small bag like cover that goes over the controls and clips onto a row of fastners that are inline with the bolts that hold the top on. I have the fastners but no cover, I've never seen one or a canopy so not sure what materiel they are made of. Possibly canvas or maybe plastic?

Iain

Similar material to those you had made maybe?

Similar material to those you had made maybe?

I have had the hip ring pads done in canvas same as the original, the seats are not canvas and they still need refurbishing.

Of course the spare wheel cover was done at the same time as the pads in canvas looks OK. Not sure it would be suitable for the seats though. :undecided:

I would think canvas would do the job fine enough, was your cover canvas?

I have had the hip ring pads done in canvas same as the original, the seats are not canvas and they still need refurbishing.

Of course the spare wheel cover was done at the same time as the pads in canvas looks OK. Not sure it would be suitable for the seats though. :undecided:

I would think canvas would do the job fine enough, was your cover canvas?

Now you mention it, I've only seen the seat material from my passenger seat I've yet to fit on modern DAF LF tippers, like an almost plastic type material. I have a very good automotive trim man down my way but maybe a bit far for you. The material for the crane cover felt almost too heavy for canvas but could well have been, wish I'd been able to stop & jump out to retrieve it!

That's what the oil companies tell you but our supplier has a different story;)

Nope, no difference, both are ultra low sulphur now, it used to be the case that red had a higher sulphur content.

Any tractor engine in good condition shouldn't smoke, if its worn or the timings out etc, its going to smoke whatever its running on!

I just re read the whole thread again.

In post #33 there is what appears to be an electrical cable with a four pin connector, is that for a boiling vessel? Looks similar to one in my opinion, was it a standard fit or do you think that was a crew improvised scammed luxury piece of Gucci kit?

I a sure your budget is stretched all the time, but is a set of repro military plates on the list somewhere? I well understand the civvy registration issues and concerns, just seems to be a final display item that will really set the vehicle off nicely. I have been accused of being pedantic elsewhere by others, its just me.

Keep up the good work, you are a very lucky man owning it, wonderful project.

I just re read the whole thread again.

In post #33 there is what appears to be an electrical cable with a four pin connector, is that for a boiling vessel? Looks similar to one in my opinion, was it a standard fit or do you think that was a crew improvised scammed luxury piece of Gucci kit?

I a sure your budget is stretched all the time, but is a set of repro military plates on the list somewhere? I well understand the civvy registration issues and concerns, just seems to be a final display item that will really set the vehicle off nicely. I have been accused of being pedantic elsewhere by others, its just me.

Keep up the good work, you are a very lucky man owning it, wonderful project.

mine doesn't have the extra cable you mention but the previous owner did rip out the battery cradle (which I am trying to replicate albiet a bigger version for the huge batteries now in the truck) so he may well have ripped that out too. Iain may be able to tell us?

Mil plates on order thanks to John's post above :) thanks again John & thanks for the words of encouragement Robin, makes it all worthwhile.