DODGE WC51 Rebuild

HWade

Hello Everyone, well heres a new blog on the restoration of a Dodge WC51, the vehicle arrived a few months back, it consists of a chassis,with front tin work bonnet wings, seating area, scuttle, but there is no rear body at this stage, we are still searching, my Client also has another rolling chassis with engine ect, this is due to be delivered any time so I can go through the engine. At this stage I have started by stripping down the chassis of all of its tin work, brake pipes and fuel lines, also anything else that would unbolt,in fact nearly every nut and bolt came off easily which suggested to me that this had been worked on before, due to alot of red oxide primer.Once the chassis was stripped of all parts. I set to work getting the chassis grit blasted which I did, after this was done I moved the chassis into the spray booth for the coats of primer, followed by several coats of olive drab. Since being painted the chassis is now in a bay in the workshop awaiting work. The next stage will be to make up the new brake lines and fuel lines and fit to the chassis. I have sent all brake parts to past parts for restoring and I received a call to say they are ready, so once collected these can also be fitted, which will allow me to build up the wheel stations. Well this is it for the time being, I will up date the blog as I go along. Howard

gmc pics 1275.JPG

gmc pics 1276.JPG

gmc pics 1284.JPG

gmc pics 1352.JPG

gmc pics 1353.JPG

gmc pics 1358.JPG

gmc pics 1275.JPG

gmc pics 1276.JPG

gmc pics 1284.JPG

gmc pics 1359.JPG

gmc pics 1352.JPG

gmc pics 1366.JPG

gmc pics 1353.JPG

gmc pics 1364.JPG

gmc pics 1358.JPG

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Another one lives! Great work. The brakes on those can a right pig to set up but once done are great. Got a chassis number?

Hello Tony, yep your right about the brakes they can be a pain, just a case of getting the adjustment exactly right.

There not as such. The procedure is adjust the shoes through slots in the drum with feeler gauges, then spin the wheels and the final cam adjustment. The trouble is bleeding, the master is under the steering coloum in the engine compartment, and is only just above the wheel cylinders. The cylinders for the wheels are also handed. Provided you follow the manual there fine.

So that answers that!:-D Just curious. I've managed both without using a remote, but went into all the rigmarole of wether to mount one when I was doing Katys the WC54's brake. Where she had been standing due to Carol's illness the fluid ended up more like a treacle. Whole lot where changed.

• 2 weeks later...

A Small update for the thread the Brake parts are now back from past parts. So getting the new parts installed with new brake lines can start at some time, just got to get the flexi pipes. No rush on this rebuild as its a fill in job. Howard

dodge brake parts.jpg

• 1 month later...

Well time is ticking by, ive done a little more not a great deal but it all helps getting this dodge back on the road, I have blasted and painted four of the wheels, a engine was also sourced and I am making a stand to sit her in to make it easier to work on and clean.I want to check the compressions and go from here. I will up date in due course, sorry its not being done any faster its being treated as a hospital job. So when time allows a bit gets done.Are add some pics later of the wheels.

Hi Howard,

If this is the chassis/front end that was bought from Sussex, you are correct that it was part restored by the previous, previous French owner but that was over 20 years ago and then it sat in an open-sided shed until we brought it over to the UK.

- MG

Theres been a little bit more done 4 of the wheels have been blasted primed and top coated, just need to get the tyres to get a rolling chassis. I am very busy on other Jobs, so this is just a fill in so will update as and when.Howard

dodge wheels primer.jpg

dodge wheels.jpg