Rapier Missile system winch assembly

Hi all, I recently managed to get my hands on one of these:

http://www.mod-sales.com/vehicle/history/62770/British_Aerospace_Rapier_Missile.htm

With the aim of eventually being able to use it as a towing winch. If anyone has any information or ideally a wiring diagram that would be awesome.

I have no idea about what power source this thing needs or how to wire in the controller- please see pictures here:

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/0zfcz5x84u6fagl/nknpnV47m5

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Ezra

The disappointing thing is that the electric motor on them is 400 volt AC. Supply must have come from the generator supplying the Rapier system. I think a lot of people ate buying them blind off the auction site not realising this fact.

Thanks for all the help- From conversations with my electrical engineering friends the motor is powered by a fairly standard 3 phase arrangement with a 24V DC control system. Hopefully we will work out the exact voltage/ampage soon and with a 3-phase inverter get this thing up and running soon!

Edited by EzraT

• 1 month later...

About 30 years ago I worked in the Rapier FRTV facility in Stevenage, on the DITMCO test line.

Im sure all the Rapier kit runs on 400 Hz 3 Phase (so not the 50 Hz we normally use)

So you will need a aircraft solid state static inverter(they do come up for sale from time to time) or a Rapier SCREAMER genny.