Large scale Chieftain tank model enigma

Chieftainmk4

• 1 year later...

The Enigma concluded.

From the man who wrote about the Chertsey military proving ground, The Tank Factory ISBN 978-0-7509-6122-6. The model was a radar signature model one of a kind. The book was very informative capturing life and times of British military proving ground. Sadly now gone making way for a motion picture studio.

From his own description.

I believe it was built for developing radar systems. There is a one to one relationship between the model size and the radar frequency and so you could test a 1/5 scale model with a radar 5x the frequency and get equivalent results. There used to be an in-door radar range at a place called Hutton Moor near to Bristol where testing was done and being in doors with a scale model it was easier to control what was going on. This model is unusual because as far as I know it was the only model of its type that was motorised in order to look at the Doppler radar signature of a moving vehicle.

• 1 month later...
The Challenger with the man in the white coat is still around; not as big as the Chieftain by some way but still a substantial model. Power unit is gone but the transmission is still there. Suspension works and the track is made from individual links. The model at present weighs around thirty kgs. It looks like the elevation was controlled by a simple mechanism. All pictures taken today.[ATTACH=CONFIG]90766[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]90767[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]90768[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]90769[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]90770[/ATTACH]

Is the challenger for sale? please PM me and name me a price if this is the case.

I have a 1/10 challenger1 tank made by the apprentice in Barnbow in Leeds in the 80s,It has been restored and its fully funtional with electric drive and the main gun is pitch stabilised and the turret is gyro stabilised.It even has a rotating beacon on top of the turret.KGrHqJjoE9UbgeycIBPcNDOhhVg60_12.jpg

KGrHqJo4E9dBBZBphBPcNKQqL60_12-1.jpg