Good News at The DVLA.

The good news is the DVLA have appointed someone who actually knows about military vehicles to manage the licensing of newly registered ex military vehicles, just after lunch I met him today and it was clear he knows what he is talking about.

He has served in the army and has contact with Bovington when he needs to regarding information on more obscure types.

Last week 3 Spartans were registered and recently a Ferret, so things should start to run more smoothly as time progress's especially with CVRTs.

Diana

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The good news is the DVLA have appointed someone who actually knows about military vehicles to manage the licensing of newly registered ex military vehicles, just after lunch I met him today and it was clear he knows what he is talking about.

He has served in the army and has contact with Bovington when he needs to regarding information on more obscure types.

Last week 3 Spartans were registered and recently a Ferret, so things should start to run more smoothly as time progress's especially with CVRTs.

Diana

That is good news. Is the idea all MV registrations will be routed through this one chap?

More good news regards the DVLA, I got my newly purchased Dodge WC52 registered and the V5c back in FIVE days, start to finish :) This was purely down to Chris Brook of the MVT, his inspecting officer Roger AND a very helpful lady at the DVLA who all bent over backwards to help speed things through, many many thanks to ALL of them. :D

The short answer to your query is yes, he is now dealing with all ex military vehicles wherever they are in the UK, additionally any obscure types he will be able to research to ensure they can get road registered if at all possible.

Diana

That is good news. Is the idea all MV registrations will be routed through this one chap?

Not a chance I will pass you his details, and yes all paperwork must be included with any application including a dating letter, registration fee, insurance etc...

Diana

Any chance of sending me a PM with the contact details

I am sure though the DVLA will still need a verification letter from an approved club and the applicant to follow the correct V55/5 process

Not a chance I will pass you his details, and yes all paperwork must be included with any application including a dating letter, registration fee, insurance etc...

Diana

Hi my application for my RB44 was sent last Wednesday , nothing has come back yet , did call the dvla just to confirm a couple of things and they told me that you do not need to Send a copy of the insurance details as they can check on the insurance data base . It changed last November , hoping this is not duff info from the experts !!!

A week!! ...give them a chance,

The website quotes six weeks, in reality its taking about 2 weeks for most people.

Diana

Hi my application for my RB44 was sent last Wednesday , nothing has come back yet , did call the dvla just to confirm a couple of things and they told me that you do not need to Send a copy of the insurance details as they can check on the insurance data base . It changed last November , hoping this is not duff info from the experts !!!

Diana

Slightly abrupt I have to say!!

My reason for asking was that I am the MVT Verification Officer and that my request was quite valid as it will enable me to help the members of the MVT get their vehicles registered

Having said that there are very few (probably 2-3 in the couple of hundred verifications that I have done over the past two years) that have been returned because the verification letter or the details included in it from the MVT was insufficient or the incorrect completion of the V55/5

We (the MVT) have also built relationships within the DVLA to enable Jeep owners whose vehicles were registered post 1960 to change date of manufacture to take advantage of the MOT exemption without the evidence laid out in the regulations

I also find it interesting that this person will research obscure vehicles, this has always been part of the verification/inspection process we (MVT) undertake

Sounds as if my role is redundant!!!

Chris Brook

MVT Verification Officer

Being a true sceptic. We will see how long he lasts. Make a system foolproof, the DVLA/VOSA will improve on the fool. My local office at Sidcup were very expert , very helpful, and had people who could speack sevral languages fluently. Look what happned to them.

Slightly abrupt I have to say!!

My reason for asking was that I am the MVT Verification Officer and that my request was quite valid as it will enable me to help the members of the MVT get their vehicles registered

Having said that there are very few (probably 2-3 in the couple of hundred verifications that I have done over the past two years) that have been returned because the verification letter or the details included in it from the MVT was insufficient or the incorrect completion of the V55/5

We (the MVT) have also built relationships within the DVLA to enable Jeep owners whose vehicles were registered post 1960 to change date of manufacture to take advantage of the MOT exemption without the evidence laid out in the regulations

I also find it interesting that this person will research obscure vehicles, this has always been part of the verification/inspection process we (MVT) undertake

Sounds as if my role is redundant!!!

Chris Brook

MVT Verification Officer

Diana, is there any reason you will not pass OUR Verification Officer his details?

C.

Edited by Charlie

I can understand why someone with information like this may choose to be careful about passing it on, particularly on a public forum.

It may also be Jackie (or Diana) was not aware that Brooky is the MVT's main man - unless they keep right up to date with everything posted on here that bit of information may have passed them by.

If I was this 'new person' at DVLA I would certainly be making it a priority to establish contact with the verification officers of DVLA's various 'approved' organisations - I'm sure he is working on it this week!!

To be honest I am not bothered either way.

The MVT verification service is recognised by the DVLA as having a robust system for verification.

As I said in an earlier post we very rarely y have issues.

Its the same old story, when something goes wrong blame the D VLA. In my experience if the applicant follows the system and provides the correct paperwork the system works

We only see the brick bats on here when there is problem and we rarely see praise when it all goes right

I cannot of course speak for other clubs authorised to carry out verifications on our vehicles.

So I am not really concerned about the news because as far as I am concerned its business as usual.

To be honest I am not bothered either way.

The MVT verification service is recognised by the DVLA as having a robust system for verification.

As I said in an earlier post we very rarely y have issues.

Its the same old story, when something goes wrong blame the D VLA. In my experience if the applicant follows the system and provides the correct paperwork the system works

We only see the brick bats on here when there is problem and we rarely see praise when it all goes right

I cannot of course speak for other clubs authorised to carry out verifications on our vehicles.

So I am not really concerned about the news because as far as I am concerned its business as usual.

Chris, I passed on to you the woman's name at the DVLA who was very very helpful to me during my recent application she not only did everything possible to help but rang me to tell me the V5c was on the way two days after I sent in my application. I suggest she would maybe be a point of contact if you have any problems in the future as she seemed very sympathetic to the problems involved. I have more details of her contact details should you need them. Best Wishes. D

Dave

You did indeed and many thanks for that

I have been in touch with my contact in the DVLA today regarding our "new man on the inside" so will be interesting to see the response.

As I keep saying there should be no problems with registering any vehicle providing you give them the details and the paperwork is in order then everything should be OK

They follow a process and if everthing is OK then out pops a V5 and a reg number

Interesting comment about insurance earlier, I have double checked and the DVLA request a copy of the insurance, so I would send it!!!

Dave

You did indeed and many thanks for that

I have been in touch with my contact in the DVLA today regarding our "new man on the inside" so will be interesting to see the response.

As I keep saying there should be no problems with registering any vehicle providing you give them the details and the paperwork is in order then everything should be OK

They follow a process and if everthing is OK then out pops a V5 and a reg number

Interesting comment about insurance earlier, I have double checked and the DVLA request a copy of the insurance, so I would send it!!!

Hi

ref the insurance when I called to confirm the paper work required , the operate also double checked with her supervisor that no cert was required as the rules had changed. So this looks like it's going to drag on as they have had my application a week with contact details and no has got on to me to say there is a problem. Great services face to face was a much better, iron out any problems there and then.

Regards Tony

Hi

ref the insurance when I called to confirm the paper work required , the operate also double checked with her supervisor that no cert was required as the rules had changed. So this looks like it's going to drag on as they have had my application a week with contact details and no has got on to me to say there is a problem. Great services face to face was a much better, iron out any problems there and then.

Regards Tony

HI All

has anybody called the DVLA mid process and had any help to resolve Any problems ?

Regards Tony

Unfortunately the local offices are closed so we are where we are!

They quote 6 weeks to process the application, in practice they are taking less than that

As I say if everything is in order then it works!

You can download the paperwork needed from the DVLA website, I think I have posted it on here and I send a copy to each applicant with the verification letter

They quote 6 weeks to process the application, in practice they are taking less than that

You can download the paperwork needed from the DVLA website, I think I have posted it on here and I send a copy to each applicant with the verification letter

I agree, I followed Chris' advice to the letter and had excellent results, I did put a note in with the application giving my mobile number and asked if they could please contact me should there be any problem, there wasn't but they still rang me to tell me the V5c was on it's way. All in all my advice is go with the advice from the MVT and if you do exactly what they tell you your application will be simple and painless :D

Hi I know that if everything is in order it works but when you phone them up and they give you duff info about insurance paperwork then that does not help. And it not likely to be in order.

Regards Tony

Hi I know that if everything is in order it works but when you phone them up and they give you duff info about insurance paperwork then that does not help. And it not likely to be in order.

Regards Tony

By the way Chris I am not having a pop, the help you gave me with the champ was invaluable . You would just think that when you ask a question about registration to the organisation that process the application for registration then you would hope that they get it right . Or am I asking to much

Regards Tony

Edited by cossy1

I got my Jeep registered recently, but had problems due to the Jeep being imported over two years ago, and as a result having a Customs 386 form. However when applying, all I got from the DVLA was that it had to have a 'NOVA' electronic import record. It wasn't until I contacted the Customs & Excise people that I got the correct information that NOVA only started about June last year, and that my 386 form was still valid and should be accepted. They gave me a pdf document to show that was the case, and suggested I send that to the DVLA as proof.

From both my and a friends recent experience, the people handling the applications and helpline are lacking in training, and rather than pick up the phone to confirm or ask for further information, they just send everything back with a covering letter to try again. After some of my original documents weren't returned, I was told by the DVLA that "they were probably shredded". Fortunately a complaint letter resolved that.

The MVT on the other hand we quick, helpful friendly with the verification process. So the people who deal with this paperwork as a hobby in their spare time for other members, do it better than those paid to do it!

May be I just kept getting the newbie on a Friday afternoon?!