B81 Rolls Royce engine rebuild parts

lowfat

Hello gents

My "spare " b81 is lying unceremoniously in the back of my "spare" Stalwart.

It was removed due to low power apparently by the previous owner.

Now I need to do something with this engine , the stalwart it came out of is not in the best of shape but neither is it beyond saving and if it I decide to save it then it will need a working engine.Likewise if it goes to the stalwart gods in the sky a spare working engine is nice to have for the other stolly.

Can you give me some pointers on where to get components and also what is the "usual" failures on these engines.

I have the Stalwart EMERs which have some engine details in but I do not have the Rolls Royce manual.

I see Marcus Glen has some head gaskets and have been impressed with the stock Bannisters hold and the last item he supplied (wheel stud) surprised me beyond words.

So in short the only thing I can guarantee is its painted sky blue and its lying in the back of the truck.

I have the Stalwart EMERs which have some engine details in but I do not have the Rolls Royce manual.
Hi you say you have the Stalwart EMERs I assume you mean EMER WHEELED VEHICLES V 640 - 649 and V 640/2 - 649/2

But you may not necessarily really need the RR manual as the engine is covered in EMER POWER S 520 - 529 and S 520/4 - 529/4.

Forgive me if you already have those & it also nice to have the RR manual :D

It's worth looking at the whole EMER POWER series as the generator, starter, instruments etc are to be found & of course these systems were shared other vehicles.

S 520 etc is general to B Series and /4 is specific to B81

I read on a fire engine site that they start a head gasket leak between cylinders which if ignored leads to severe head damage. Any body found that or is there an unlimited supply of crate engines which people are just slinging in?

• 2 weeks later...
I read on a fire engine site that they start a head gasket leak between cylinders which if ignored leads to severe head damage. Any body found that or is there an unlimited supply of crate engines which people are just slinging in?

Hi. Marcus Glenn have some B81 gaskets for sale

http://marcusglenn.com/b81-head-gasket?filter_name=B81

Give them a call, if the B81 is not suitable, the chances are they probably have the B80 one floating around.

Banister's is also worth a go.

http://www.milweb.net/go/banister/

I've dealt with both in the past and both Marcus Glenn and Banister's are helpful and friendly

For what its worth, in my humble experience.......if you're going to strip it then pay particular attention to the valves & valve seats....I've seen badly burned out & split inlet & exhaust valves on B40s & B80s. Have also known valves stick open causing misfiring with some impressive backfiring through the air cleaners & detonation in the exhaust manifold.

Seen a hole through a piston once, & blown head gaskets between cylinders as mentioned above.

Leaky fuel pump diaphragms (spelling) also not uncommon.

Rarely does the bottom end give trouble (in my experience that is) always seems to be valve trouble if anything.

H

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 years later...