Stormer track on a cvrt

Duffy

I understand the track is different. The Stormer drive sprocket teeth are notably larger and the horn on the Stormer track is again notably longer.

My question: Is it safe to run the Stormer track on my Spartan?

Al

Al

As you rightly point out Stormer track is of a different design to original CVRT track. Whilst I imagine it could be made to work somehow, I have been told by people who know about these things that it is strongly inadvisable ie it is best to leave it as nature (ie Alvis!) intended...

Cooks (who make most of the track) now advertise 'bigfoot' track (ie with thicker pads) and a version of the original track with a replaceable pad. I have always been a little dubious about replaceable pads on CVRT, due to the high road speeds but the thicker pads would be interesting to try. In 8 years of owning CVRTs Ive never actually been forced to replace a set of track, only now starting to think about it, and even then I can probably squeeze another two seasons out of it at a push (worn pads not bushes).

Cheers

Tim

Some CVRT were modified to work with long horn chevron track. The most noticeable alteration is a box cut out of the sponson immediately over the drive sockets to allow for the thicker pads. I don't know whether the sprockets or the carriers are modified and whether the rear idler has to be changed to allow for the longer horns.

Richard

Well, pull up a pew and lets have a chat.

The basic CVRT powered by the J60 and the Stormer powered by the Perkins are what we have at work.

I think I am one of the few people who has access to both side by side.

Today at work I took a few minutes to try and answer the questions thrown out by Mr Duffy

The first picture shows a section of "new" Stormer track, the one with the chevron pattern (that you can't see) laid beside a Spartan which has barely used track.

So, observations, the two of them appear to have links that are the same length overall, but we know that is not what we were asked.

I struggled to find a measuring tool with horns long enough to get down into the contact points in the tracks

In the end we have an approximation until I get a better measuring tool. What is clear is that the CVRT has a shorter slot for the drive sprocket than the Stormer, it is only a few millimeters but it is obvious when side by side.

My determination is that Stormer track will turn on a CVRT drive sprocket, but a CVRT track would bind up on the sprockets of a Stormer.

As far as total height of the links the Stormer track is much thicker and has a parallel rubber surface whereas the CVRT track has a rubber surface that has an angle to it.

I would suspect that anything more than shunting around the yard and the thicker Stormer track would bind under a sponson somewhere.

You could likely cheat a bit by using Stormer drive sprockets on a CVRT hub with Stormer track (I think they are the same but will have to check) but the overall height of the links would still be the concern.

I hope this helps those concerned.

I will try some better measurements of the coming days.

Robin

Stormer - CVRT track.jpg

CVRT Track.jpg

Stormer Track.jpg

My understanding (from a conversation with A.B long ago) is that prolonged use of Stormer track on a CVRT will cause the rear idler to crack due to the difference with the horn depth. Stormer rear idlers are different to CVRT, as are the final drives (I believe that CVRT were upgraded with Stormer final drives as part of the deiselisation process). I do believe that Stormer front sprockets are also different.