Jeep 6V Generator Mounts

Max Reheat

I am in the process of re-building my Jeep engine and until now the 6V genny has been mounted using a rather inelegant combo of 10mm threaded bar, a multitude of nuts and washers and the dog eared remains of the rubber bushings and cup washers. I'd like to fit the proper arrangement but am not sure how it should be. I can see that the rubber bushings are available on ebay and shoulder bolts too. Are the bolts the same for each mount? Also, I am missing one or two cup washers, are these available anywhere?

Would be very grateful if anyone could kindly link me to (or post :-)!) a decent photo showing how it should be please?

Cheers,

Dave :-)

Dave

I would strongly recommend you join the G503 forum and use the search engine in the technical knowledge section, there are pictures and words aplenty about fitting jeep dynamos. Basically you need two rubber mounts, two shouldered bolts two large flat washers to fit the shoulder on each bolt and two large flat washers to fit the threaded portion of the bolts, two spring washers to fit the threaded bolts and two nuts. All this is available from a number of suppliers as a kit.

Fitting can require the need for three hands or two people one underneath and one above. If you are doing this with the wing on, you can make life a bit easier if you supper glue the washers that go between the dynamo casing lugs and the rubber mount onto the rubber mount after installing the mount but obviously before installing the dynamo just make sure the holes line up.

Pete

Edited by Pete Ashby

Your welcome Dave,

one thing I should add, I have assumed you have the correct mounting bracket that bolts onto the block, if not you need to get one again these available from most suppliers.

Pete

Thanks Pete.

I have now come across this, which is perhaps what you meant:

http://www.1942mb.com/c-14-G503_WWII_Jeep_6v_Generator_and_Arm_installation.aspx

http://g503.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=124121

My block mounted bracket looks something like the one in the articles (don't have it to hand right now) but the second article suggests there are two different lengths, going to have to wait till my block comes back from the m/c shop to check exactly which one I have.

My top brace arm, however, is nothing like the spring loaded, adjustable length, T bar one shown. Mine is just a simple slotted arm, much like a modern engine might have.

Have ordered some bushes and bolts now. I see a top brace kit is available on ebay from the US, will have to check if any UK suppliers have them.

Cheers,

Dave

You will need the proper belt adjusting arm as well, the arm comes in three parts the outer arm that clips onto the generator, the inner arm that is fixed to the front engine plate and the slider clip that locks the two arms together. You will also need the tension spring and the shouldered adjusting bolt and nut. This is all available from the usual dealers for not a lot of money.

The links you posted show the way everything fits together with the exception of the large flat washers between the generator lugs and rubber bushes and the head of the mounting bolts and rubber bushes. These are nearly always missing as they are such a pain to fit but if you don't fit them the face of the rubber bushes can be damaged with time. Search the G503 for a discussion on mounting the washers correctly.

regards

Pete

• 2 weeks later...

Getting there slowly! Just the lower bracket to come from Jeffrey's tomorrow hopefully and then I can try it all out.

Still a little confused about the bottom mounts though :embarrassed:.

Looking at the G503 photos, it looks like the 1/2" dia. shoulder on the bolts should enter into the lugs on the genny, but my genny only has 3/8" dia. holes so they don't go in, see below:

genlower_zpseb288252.jpg

Am I missing something or do I need to drill my lugs out to 1/2"?

Also the top lug bolt where the slot in the T-arm engages, is that just a 'normal' bolt, i.e. tightens up onto the T-arm when the belt tension has been set or is it another shoulder bolt that I don't yet have? :undecided:

Cheers,

Dave

Do not drill out your generator mounting lugs Dave, they are correct as they are. Wait for your engine mounting bracket to arrive and trial fit the bracket to the generator off the engine, it will help you to see how things go together.

One question, are your rubber mounting bushes one piece or in two half's? I ask because in your photo the bush looks to be in two half's, the proper bush is a one piece unit, a bit of a struggle to fit into the engine front plate and bracket but holds the mounting bolts square. The one piece bushes are readily available, do a web search or do an e bay search using the search 'willys mb gpw jeep'.

Let us know if you need anymore help

Pete

Do not drill out your generator mounting lugs Dave, they are correct as they are. Wait for your engine mounting bracket to arrive and trial fit the bracket to the generator off the engine, it will help you to see how things go together.

One question, are your rubber mounting bushes one piece or in two half's? I ask because in your photo the bush looks to be in two half's, the proper bush is a one piece unit, a bit of a struggle to fit into the engine front plate and bracket but holds the mounting bolts square. The one piece bushes are readily available, do a web search or do an e bay search using the search 'willys mb gpw jeep'.

Let us know if you need anymore help

Pete

You are right Pete, the rubbers are split, sold on the basis of easier to fit :rotfl:.

Am waiting patiently for my bracket but it looks like it'll be after Easter now :-(.

Thanks,

Dave

Well, finally got my bracket from Jeffrey's and as I'd suspected I had a problem with the make up length, the 1/2" dia. shoulder protruded beyond the washer, bush, bracket assembly preventing it pulling up tight against the genny.

gen1_zpse012543e.jpg

To solve this, I popped the bolt in the lathe and put a new shoulder on the shank, 9.5mm dia. and 23.5mm from the underside of the bolt head.

gen2_zps03b12869.jpg

gen3_zps32bede6a.jpg

This allowed the 1/2" shoulder to butt up against the genny lug with a little bit of compression in the bush, the newly turned bit sitting snugly in the lug rather than it slopping about on the thread.

gen4_zpsd80dadd0.jpg

The same was true on the front plate mounting:

gen5_zps0c38d6db.jpg

and the same fix did the trick:

gen6_zps66ab9502.jpg

Have to put it down to a dodgy pair of bolts I guess :undecided:

If anyone's interested, large washers are stainless M12 penny washers from Screwfix.

That's one job down, a million to go... Finally got the engine block back from the machine shop yesterday, Normandy currently seems a long way away... :-)

Edited by Max Reheat