Scrap yard relics...

Jack

• Replies 995
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I must admit to a real mixture of feelings when I see such a yard as that ..

...firstly I hate to see all those wonderful vehicles disappearing into the dirt :( ...

...but the other side of me is going " ooo! ooooooo! oooooooo! looky looky looky!!!!!! "

I have to admit to having spent many a very memorable hour or 50 clambering over and through such yards in the years gone by..... I love the thrill and the shiver you get up your back when you start to mooch such a place :)

Every time I think " ah there can't be many yards left like that "....

..someone comes along with pictures like this to prove me wrong :)

Its great that you have been given access. I first visited this yard about 20 years ago (oh eck:shocked:) and the proprietor was most helpful in supplying two Dodge engines (long block not WC type). And more recently he helped a good friend with a pre war Albion engine. Understandably he doesnt want sightseers, he is running a business from there after all, although it would make a great visiter attraction to us types! So thanks for sharing the pictures with us, yards such as this wont be around forever.

My goodness! I was ferreting around in that yard 42 years ago and it seems not to have changed. The dodge ambulances (three or four of them) were in a clump and were regarded as too rusty even then. They would have needed almost complete re-skining. There were many military Bedfords but only one OS, which was actually quite intact. Several Morris 4x4 C9 Bofors were in fairly rusty condition. The Albion bridging trucks were relatively intact and at least one was extracted and is now being restored for the second time by a member of HMVF. He tried and failed to buy the front end in the photo above but it had gained a rather high asking price so he had to give up on that. At that time I didn't think to take photos so thanks to Tim for reminding me.

David

• 6 months later...

I was told about these Hagglunds up Penang a year ago and to date I haven't had a chance to get up there due to work and travel. My mate who owns the yard I tinker in could help himself and bought one, so at least I have some more internal pictures.

I haven't seen them up close as yet as once again away but this weekend most likely. I'll also find out how many are left

[ATTACH=CONFIG]107292[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]107300[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]107299[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]107298[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]107297[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]107296[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]107295[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]107294[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]107293[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]107301[/ATTACH]

• 9 months later...
Been out and about today, seen a few oddities, here is a selection:

Unsure of this one, definately ex military but rather modified, I guess it was a glider winch latterly. It has gained a 4cylinder fordson major engine, and part of a lambourne cab from the same tractor. Anyone recognise it?

[ATTACH=CONFIG]42886[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]42885[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]42883[/ATTACH]

Unsure of this tug, it had a leyland diesel engine, and a large winch fitted to the rear

[ATTACH=CONFIG]42882[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]42881[/ATTACH]

This old Bedford QL ended up as a timber tractor, unusually it had a Garwood winch fitted (not original I suspect). Not turned a wheel in some time, still petrol powered!

[ATTACH=CONFIG]42880[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]42879[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]42878[/ATTACH]

Gardner 4LW generating set, brass plate said searchlight generator, made by G.E.C.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]42877[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]42876[/ATTACH]

Bit of a long shot as this was posted in 2011 but I don't spose you remember where you spotted the sentinel tug, it was owned by my family for about 15 years and then sold to the britannia trust at kemble to tow the britannia. I would love to see if it's still there and have a last look around it

• 4 months later...
  • 10 months later...

When does the hull of one of these become a no longer viable item such that it is scrapped? I know my Minis used to rust out until they were ready to be folded up and delivered to the scrappy, so are these hulls flawed in some other way?

trevor

When does the hull of one of these become a no longer viable item such that it is scrapped? I know my Minis used to rust out until they were ready to be folded up and delivered to the scrappy, so are these hulls flawed in some other way?

trevor

I think as they slowly replace them with the AMPV this is just their de-mil program as there is not many M113's in civilian ownership

trevor

Good chance that isn't a factor, often military material is supplied by the US with the condition that it is never to reach the civilian market but scrapped or destroyed.

A friend tried to buy a lot of non-flying ex-USAF C-47's (ex-Vietnam) that were supplied to the Thai airforce. The Thai were willing to sell until a single phonecall from the US embassy stopped it all as it turned out they were supplied to the Thai under a similar condition. They were sunk as diving objects for tourists in Thailand and not properly anchored, and after the first passing storm they were gone. None has been found back.

He described this incident in full in his book 'The Dakota Hunter: In search of the legendary DC-3 on the Last Frontiers' (by Hans Wiesman), complete with photos.

Those M113 hulls would be in Italy, wouldn't they?

10 68

not sure..... popped up on a mates Facebook. I was thinking the US because of the massive building in some of the shots, but could be somewhere else, given they are all green.

What I think strange is there is several companies that upgrade M113's by stretching them and adding an extra bogie, armour etc. You would think they would be kept in storage until that demand fizzled out

• 4 years later...