Thistlegorm vehicles - mistaken identities

Underwater_Alex

I am adding the given info from this forum to the ships plans I have.

Numerous ‘funny’ facts occur now.

Like some of the truck axles are floating in mid air (hatch area).

Now I know they were actual ontop of the hatches.

The hatch doors are gone they felt down or so.

I always thought the trucks moved but they are still on their original place.

2nd deck leyland hatch 1.jpg

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Albion AM463 Zwicky refueler was the 12' the length?

Because I have it longer like 20' but in that case the Albion bridging trucks don't fit.

But if the Zwicky is only 12' in length The Albion trucks will move backwards 8' and then the Bridging trucks will fit the ship nicely.

G15-00 Cargo 142.jpg

Degsy has the wheelbase at 12'0", so that's the length from the centre of the front axle to the centre of the rear axle. The Albion's a smallish truck but 12' overall would be very small - about the size of a small family car!!

My guess would be that on a 12' wheelbase, an 18' overall length might be about right. I've had a look on the net; from the few side-on photos I can find and using the wheel size to give scale, I make them around 17' - 18' overall length.

Edited by Sean N

Degsy has the wheelbase at 12'0", so that's the length from the centre of the front axle to the centre of the rear axle. The Albion's a smallish truck but 12' overall would be very small - about the size of a small family car!!

My guess would be that on a 12' wheelbase, an 18' overall length might be about right. I've had a look on the net; from the few side-on photos I can find and using the wheel size to give scale, I make them around 17' - 18' overall length.

Thanks Sean,

I think you are right... In that case I misplaced the trucks.

Because they don't fit or the curve of the ship is drastically different then it sister ships.

Time for some extra research.

Maybe Alex remembers the location of the Albion bridging trucks.

Now I have them located below hold 1 more or less halfway.

Next to them are the zwicky refuelers they are forcing the bridging trucks more to the front of the ship.

Behind the zwicky refuelers is an bulkhead so they can’t go more backwards.

On the picture it looks like the trucks do fit but they don't

Albion AM463 versus BY3.jpg

• 5 months later...
[ATTACH=CONFIG]89565[/ATTACH]

The above shows all the gubbins on the refueler in your photo's.

Hi, What is the source and ref number of this image on page 7 of this thread, I need a large scale enlargement of this for pump detail.

Cheers

BOBC

• 4 weeks later...
I however need to track down the original source and get a b/w hi res photographic print.

We get a lot of requests like this at work, and it all depends on what you mean by "hi res" (a term that drives us crazy) as you can scan the original in at the highest possible resolution and it may never make a difference as it all depends on the original photograph. Judging by the image on the link it doesn't look like the original was very sharp.

What exactly is it you are after? There's a little bit of stuff available on Zwicky pumps which i can dig out for you.

• 2 years later...

I don't post much here, but feel its a good time to wake this thread from its slumber.

For those who don't know me, I'm an underwater photographer that creates 3D models of underwater subjects. Back in the last century I completed my Apprenticeship at 43 Command Workshops REME, so military vehicles really are in the blood...I digress...Regular readers may remember the NDAC models I shared a while back:

https://sketchfab.com/simonbrown/collections/submerged-military-verhicles

This summer I have been working as a Visiting Fellow at the University of Nottingham with a specific mission: To scan the wreck of the SS Thistlegorm and its cargo. It has taken months of work, but there will be a press release very soon announcing just what has been covered and achieved.

Alex Mustard (original starter of this thread and key chap behind the research as to what cargo is really in the holds of the wreck) and I have been chatting about the results and he mentioned there were a few gaps in the surviving vehicle types - most notably the Morris-Commercial CS11/30.

In the intervening time does anyone know if an example of this vehicle has turned up? Anything been found/restored since?

....Regular readers may remember the NDAC models I shared a while back:

https://sketchfab.com/simonbrown/collections/submerged-military-verhicles ......

Great images Simon.

Are there any fundamental differences in techniques for underwater scanning? Other than the obvious (such as waterproofed electrics/electronics!), does laser light require relatively clear water, similar to that needed for good visibility?

Tony

Great images Simon.

Are there any fundamental differences in techniques for underwater scanning? Other than the obvious (such as waterproofed electrics/electronics!), does laser light require relatively clear water, similar to that needed for good visibility?

Tony

Hi Tony - its all done with a DSLR, albeit one in a waterproof housing rated to 60m, plus some waterproof flash guns. The technique involves shooting hundreds or thousands of overlapping images that are then stitched together to understand where common points exist in 3D space. The software knows the sensor size, the physical characteristics of the lens and what points are common, and from that some some witchcraft-like calculations (sometimes taking days) to figure out how the points relate to each other. Bang in some known scales and GPS points and you get an accurate model, good to measure from, print or derive something called a DEM and termed an Orthophoto - see these links:

http://deep3d.co.uk/2017/04/07/ndac-orthophoto/

http://deep3d.co.uk/2017/06/25/the-art-of-dem/

http://deep3d.co.uk/2017/06/08/geo-referencing-the-ub-116/

Visibility wise, the further you can see the easier it becomes. Worked in some very dirty water at Port Royal, Jamaica, for National Geographic earlier in the year, but proved it was possible - just needed a lot more images.

Pete Gaine has recently restored a Morris CS11/30 Ambulance. Currently advertised for sale on Milweb.

Now that is great news - thank you Simon.

The good news is the owner of the Morris Commercial CS11/30 rang me yesterday. Even better news is he lives less than 10 miles away, so a visit will be arranged very soon.

Now, in the intervening years, has anyone restored an Albion BY3 Bridging Variant?

There are three examples in the holds: One visible and two buried under debris. We are very confident of the two buried examples - their rear load deck is quite distinctive and the parts we can see measure identically to the visible example. With the 3D model scaled and geo referenced we have no immediate need to dive and measure anything...we can measure the model directly.

Edited by SimonBrown