Rare S3 109" Land Rover Found

robin craig

Well, first of all let me assure those who have clicked in here expecting to find another toy on a plinth, you are out of luck.

I continue to be amazed as to how strange the truth of life can be in comparison to fiction. I think in the morning I am going out to buy a lottery ticket, for two reasons, first is that I can not believe how in the last few months I have stumbled upon vehicles in places very close to me, and secondly so I can afford to finance this one that really interests me, despite it being a bona fide basket case in many respects.

When you consider this vehicle was one of less than 50, made in Great Britain, served in Germany, was sold off in Belgium, and was shipped over to Canada, where I happen to live now, its amazing.

I well know what this vehicle is, but I am intentionally going to tantalise a few people here.

Some might argue that the series 3 were the worst of the military Land Rovers with a lot of the quality just not being there. I agree for the most part. In the end all that rhetoric doesnt mean the vehicle isnt worth saving, it just means there is a bit more work involved.

The current owner (a real gent) knows what it is but we could not agree on a price today, we were up to four figures, I have to figure out how to leverage a bit more cash out of thin air. Time will tell if I am successful.

Anyhow, here goes. I will post one image tonight and let you have a look at this side. It does not reveal much, in fact it has some red herrings.

I have contacted Clive Elliott privately and asked him not to comment as I am fairly sure he is able to identify the vehicle very quickly and ruin the fun.

It doesn't look very special does it?

Regards

Robin

LR Find 1.jpg

Edited by robin craig

IIRC - there were a small quantity of Royal Marines 109" (and 40 qty. sounds about correct) , that were more or less a Civilian standard utility (I don't think they were nomenclature classed as CL as such) , IIRC they were equipped with the De-Luxe deep dished bonnet equipped for military strap securing using the light centre loop with taper ed end pin to fit a pad-lock (rather than the heavy plated stud type military securing). This was because they were used for troop carriers in the rear tub , something makes me think they were a rush gap-fill for training area. HOWEVER - these were fitted with a Pick-up cab , so my £ is on one of these converted to sticks & full canopy. That is until you provide a few more pics LoL

Dear All,

My level of rotteness is only matched by how stupid and giddy I have become since yesterday, at least that is what my lady says.

I don't even have a garage built alongside our house yet and I already have vehicles to fill it!

That was so unfair to post the original photo, you were doomed from the start.

Here is the opposite view. I will have to give written adjustments in the way of clues from here on as I ran out of picture space on my phone so only have the data plates as the last shots and they would give the game away.

Disregard the hood sticks, they are a complete red herring. Look very very hard and ask yes or no questions and I will reply on here.

Im going to sit back now, a very close look is required.

Robin

LR Find 2.jpg

Well , the way the body has been cut back , I would say a "Missile Launcher" and due to the fact of the RAF Blue/Grey paint - I would guess Rapier , rather than Orange William or Malkara. The chassis is military type , what was the VRM - abt. "KB" as there were a few funniues batches around then.

Ah yes, what a result, I shall now go and buy a Lottery ticket perhaps luck is coming my way!

Clues were in the rear door , and the insides were painted black , as if they were the cupboard insides.

rear bulkhead as well er.................................lucky guess after that if I am truthfull.

I found one once near me but didn't appreciate its value or rareness, so I bid him far too low.

By the time I had researched it the Guy had sold it for £30 more than I had bid...........:-(

The cut-away tub transon made me wonder (bed) , the oblong patch-over plate on the rear quarter panel (240 volt electrical services) , however it was the cut away inner wing that got me (angle of inclination for missile methinks) . All I can think is that on a LHD , the hand of all changed including the sink-unit ??

So I have been doing a massive "self sell" job in the last 24 hours and a few mates have egged me on and my lady has kind of resigned herself to the fact that it will be coming home, at some time.

I will finalise a deal later this week and drag it home shortly therafter, maybe all in one trip. At work I'm just prepping our recycled winch for our float trailer usage and I need a test for it so maybe this will be it.

I will see if I can get the post hole auger on the back of the tractor asap and sink some posts quickly before spring thaw takes a hold. A quick and dirty pole barn structure will give some shelter compared to where it is now. I have used tin sheeting in stock.

I have figured out how the roof of the Carawagon works and have resigned myself that as per the threads it will be a restoration / original debate vehicle. I can make the roof I am confident of that. I will be pestering a few of you for some info, so watch your in boxes. measurements and pictures will be the main needs.

Does anyone have a current email address for Wayne Davies?

I am going to pay over the odds for it but what else am I going to do before I die? Save it all for the kids? Heck no! After two ex wives there is not much cash around anyway. I gave up smoking a year ago and use that as an excuse all the time.

Oh well, here we go . . .

Robin

Ive just rejoined the 101" club after buying that truck.

I think there is a Ferret club to join somewhere

Now I also should also join the EMLRA

Next I should join the Series 3 club

Next I should join the LRCC

Is there a Sankey trailer club?

and if there is a domestic harmony club could someone sign me up for that one too?

R:angel:

Oh joyous,

By the time we see it all the way out here it will be November!

I will get a copy reserved.

Thanks for the heads up.

R

As soon as that:laugh: perhaps someone on here could buy you a copy and post it on. Unfortunately I'm not in a position to help you at the moment due to being a long way from a stockist and busy with lambing.