FWD gallery

There doesn't seem to be one for FWD's, as far as I can see anyway. The main reason for starting this is that I was reading the ads section in the Classic & Vintage Commercials magazine last night and stumbled across the following advert:

'AMERICAN SUCOE FWD 1942,

£1,500 ONO. 4x4 truck, reg CBN 189, originally petrol new 5LW Gardner diesel. Later used in showland. Needs restoration. North Nottinghamshire.'

Now they don't come up for sale that often and I was wondering if anyone knew of this one. If there already is an FWD gallery then please merge this post into it MODS.

In the meantime please see below a couple of pictures from the War & Peace Revival below.

IMG_4091_zps7acc7ff9.jpg

IMG_4092_zps135a2c73.jpg

Edited by Smithy

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

CBN189 was registered in Bolton 5/12/46. It was used by a showman Billy Williams in the North West of England, Williams was based in Rhyl. Williams operated one, possibly two more FWDs. It was in use still in the late 1950s. At some stage it was fitted with a recovery crane and is now offered for sale in this condition

cbn189.jpg

CBN189 was registered in Bolton 5/12/46. It was used by a showman Billy Williams in the North West of England, Williams was based in Rhyl. Williams operated one, possibly two more FWDs. It was in use still in the late 1950s. At some stage it was fitted with a recovery crane and is now offered for sale in this condition

Hello Trevor, thanks for the extra information. Is it still with the Williams family do you know or with another showman? I only ask as in the same magazine there was also a showman's caravan as being listed for sale with the same telephone number etc.

Scott

Ayup Barry,

Good to hear from you, i'm already looking forward to w&p and hitting the bar....

That Morris finished yet...?

Ben

Sadly wont be there this year due to work commitments :(

Hello Trevor, thanks for the extra information. Is it still with the Williams family do you know or with another showman? I only ask as in the same magazine there was also a showman's caravan as being listed for sale with the same telephone number etc.

Scott

I think the seller is Jack Schofield of Retford, he is a showman

I think the seller is Jack Schofield of Retford, he is a showman

Thanks Trevor.

Here is another one which has been seen on the show scene in the last couple of years in the South of England.

FWD1copy_zpsa9756524.jpg

Scott

Well this is certainly an interesting thread that right up my familys street :-D

My name is Karen and my father is Colin Smith who owns an FWD HAR-1 cargo truck. Here are a few photos of it from when my dad acquired it in 2007 to the recent photo taken on the far right.

DadsFWDProgress_zps0122aee3.jpg

Edited by Puff

I also took these photos of the FWD HAR-01 and SU-COE at The Great Dorset Steam Fair last year.

The latter is a photo of a FWD snowblower parked in Aberfeldy, Scotland until a few years ago before it was scrapped in Perth. >:(:-(

DSCN2490.jpg

DSCN2491.jpg

DSCN2492.jpg

DSCN1076.jpg

The 2 pictured above were both operated at a timber mill in Wiltshire. After retirement they were both restored by 2 `older` gents. Can not recall their exact ages but to be kind, one is in his `late 80s` and the other `late 70s`. the su-coe is restored to the markings found under the layers of paint. Both run the original petrol engines and both are driven to the GDSF. The su-coe is 1 of 3 operated by the timber mill. The Har-01 is very rare, possibly only 2/3 remain

• 1 year later...

Though this hasn't been replied to in a while i'll give it a shot. Not that I'm even considering the thought of doing anything to this truck yet, I would like to start piecing together the history and what not of it if possible. Its an FWD SuCoe which was sporting the civi Reg plate of LVX 965. How can I find the military number? Where would it be painted on the bodywork if its hiding under layers of paint? I've been pointed towards the rear of the cab on the passenger side to find an ID plate of the vehicle, but can't seem to see one. The truck has a winch, would that be in the way? Any information would be gratefully received so I can try and start to uncover the history of the truck :)

http://cdm15847.contentdm.oclc.org/cdm/singleitem/collection/p15847coll3/id/55885/rec/12

http://cdm15847.contentdm.oclc.org/cdm/singleitem/collection/p15847coll3/id/55884/rec/126

I hope those links work, the second being the truck I have back when it was being used by Presland & Son Amusements

Thanks in advance,

Russ

IMAG1882.jpg

Though this hasn't been replied to in a while i'll give it a shot. Not that I'm even considering the thought of doing anything to this truck yet, I would like to start piecing together the history and what not of it if possible. Its an FWD SuCoe which was sporting the civi Reg plate of LVX 965. How can I find the military number? Where would it be painted on the bodywork if its hiding under layers of paint? I've been pointed towards the rear of the cab on the passenger side to find an ID plate of the vehicle, but can't seem to see one. The truck has a winch, would that be in the way? Any information would be gratefully received so I can try and start to uncover the history of the truck :)

http://cdm15847.contentdm.oclc.org/cdm/singleitem/collection/p15847coll3/id/55885/rec/12

http://cdm15847.contentdm.oclc.org/cdm/singleitem/collection/p15847coll3/id/55884/rec/126

I hope those links work, the second being the truck I have back when it was being used by Presland & Son Amusements

Thanks in advance,

Russ

Hi,

On my SU-COE the chassis number is on the LH chassis rail, just in front of the front wheel. All of the ID plates would have been inside the cab in the centre of the dash above the engine cover. This would only show the chassis no. and not the census no.

If you're lucky the military number may still be under the paint on the driver's and passenger's doors as per Morris C8's photo above. If not I'm afraid there's pretty much zero chance of finding it.

Do you own both the trucks in the photo or just the Presland one? That looks like an artillery tractor which would have had a winch behind the cab, whereas the one on the right appears to be the cargo variant like mine.

Regards - MG

Do you own both the trucks in the photo or just the Presland one? That looks like an artillery tractor which would have had a winch behind the cab, whereas the one on the right appears to be the cargo variant like mine.

Regards - MG

Having just read your introduction thread I'm guessing the cargo truck became 825 YUP ?

- MG