Fiat 18bl at Stow Maries Aerodrome

john clayton

I am the proud new owner of the Fiat 18bl restoration project. I have bought it along with another investor to secure it for the aerodrome and get it finished

It is partially restored and have all the important bits. The engine is a runner ,gearbox needs a minor repair,diff good,diff lock and drive shafts need rebuilding,chain adjustors need new bearing surface ,got new chains, sprockets great, l/h rear stub axle bent, chain guards awful as it had been driven with shattered wheel bearings. I have already built most of a new flatbed. the rad is good but makes a good fountain when connected to a hosepipe, steering box good and so is linkage, no mudguards, I have fabricated a new hood (bonnet) and hinges . So all in all not too bad!!!!! My real headache is the wheels. The spokes have been cut down and new rims welded on to take adapters for pnuematics. The adapters are completely rotted but I want it back on solid tyres. I am hoping that the ones in the French auction last year are still there. The ones I need have round spokes. Can anyone help with info.

Pictures to follow

John the Blacksmith

Stow Maries Aerodrome

p.s. The Oxford Concise Dictionary no longer includes the word Aerodrome but spellchecker does!

Hi John

Good luck with the project. Happy to help with any info you require. You may know more than me however. Your project sounds to be more advanced than mine and more complete as well. Sounds like you have most of the 'hard to find' parts, so the rest should be quite straightforward.

Regards

Dale

You can see from the photos the problem thatI have with the wheels.The spokes have been cut down and the rims altered to take adaptors for pnuematic tyres These adaptors are rusted out. Does anyone know of any complete whees for solid tyres (the round spoke type). I am chasing up the ones in France but might not be successful.

John,

I would have thought that finding wheels for your truck would be far easier than almost any other part. When a WW1 truck has been through all its lives, what is left seems to usually be a mangled chassis with four wheels and nothing else. You will find some somewhere. Tyres are a bit harder of course !

Is it possible for you to post a couple of photos of your louvre tool. I have some to make and they need to be quite a distinctive shape. I have never punched louvres and it would be nice to make a tool to get them right. What were the problems? Also how did you press the ridges round the edge of each panel of the bonnet?

Good luck with the restoration

David

Edited by David Herbert

Hi John,

Very impressed with the Fiat progress, look forward to meeting you on the fly-in weekend, I am bringing my Lion engine down.

Andy

Answers to some of your questions. The crankcase, gearbox and diff are cast in bronze.The bonnet panels have been made with 18 swg zintec steel which is quite easy to form. I used my swage rolling machine to form the swages around the panels.057.jpg

Pics of diff / gearbox before it was cleaned up. Note transmission brake. The outside shoes are fabric lined and water cooled. The unit is very clean inside but a fork shaft is mis-aligned due to a collapsed bearing. The casing has a 50mm crack in the side where something on the inside has hit it. I will either bronze weld or silver solder this.049.jpg

046.jpg

047.jpg

Oil pump worn out . I am wondering if I can fit a gear one tooth larger in here , changing it from 28 mm to 30 mm. It will eat into the rim about .5 mm but might not matter. HPC can supply lengths of splined shaft at 2 mod that I can machine . I do not know what the clearances should be in an oil pump.008.jpg

009.jpg

I am busy restoring a 1927 Velie car. The oil pump was in a terrible condition and would not even pump oil. I purchased a new high output pump for a VW Beetle. We used the gears from this pump, measured all the clearances and machined a new pump body to fit the gears to the measured clearances. The VW pump is cheap and available. Good luck!

I don't see a problem in fitting slighty larger gears as long as they match correctly at the same center distance. Also check on displacement volume, more teeth means usually a smaller tooth depth thus smaller displacement but a few percents should not matter. I like Tom's idea, you could also check on hydraulic pumps and maybe find a pair of gears that can be modified. The brass strip is probably an earlier fix?

Marcel

Oil pump worn out . I am wondering if I can fit a gear one tooth larger in here

I can make you some bigger gears. I have a hobbing machine and hobbed gears "just work" even if the tooth shape is strange.

In this case you can probably get away with keeping the pitch circle the same and just having more Addendum.

What is your tooth-count and shaft spacing, and what OD do you need to suit the un-shimmed cavity?

I will be cheaper than HPC, I do this for fun :-)

Thanks for the offer Andy but I have already got the gear blank from HPC. I now realise that adding one tooth would mean I could not keep the same gear centres. I am considering making a new centre for pump and pinning it in position .I have bought a blank with 12 teeth ,the same as original.

Thanks for the offer Andy but I have already got the gear blank from HPC.

That doesn't necessarily make that the best solution. You made that purchase before I made that offer and you may now be falling for the "sunk cost fallacy".

Your ideal fix is to re-bore the cavity to the current shaft centres to only-just-round then see what the gear diameters end up at, then make (odd) gears to suit.

Perhaps the gear blank will be useful in the future?

• 1 month later...

New back soldered into pump body. New face plate machined . Needs screw holes drilling and matching with new holes to be tapped in body. Idid try brazing the damaged holes in the old face plate but it was like trying to turn cheese 053 (2).jpgas it had gone so soft with the heat .New impeller and shaft on it's way.

052 (2).jpg

050 (2).jpg

Has anyone seen a thrust bearing like this before. Radiused on one side. It comes from the gear shaft that has the crown wheel drive pinion on it . It did not have any balls in the race so the pinion at the other end was not properly engaged . This caused burring on the crown wheel which will be ground off. I am not concerned about the wear sa the truck only goes 15 mph.054 (2).jpg

Has anyone seen a thrust bearing like this before. Radiused on one side. It comes from the gear shaft that has the crown wheel drive pinion on it . It did not have any balls in the race so the pinion at the other end was not properly engaged . This caused burring on the crown wheel which will be ground off….

It is difficult to see from the photograph if the shape is a function of design or wear, but I'm wondering if it was a plain spherical thrust bearing. Maybe there never were any balls/rollers in it - I don't think ball/roller bearing design had progressed that far at the time the machine was built. For the slow speeds involved in that era it would not be a big task to replace the thrust cap fairly regularly to take up the inevitable wear.

edit: Ah! I can now see what might be a ball track on the inside (flat) face of the bearing half. So was this was a ball thrust bearing with convex outer faces so it would be self-aligning? But why would it need such movement?

Edited by N.O.S.