CAN any one ID this . WW1

Morris C8

Interesting pictures. The YMCA was one of many charitable organisations which operated on the Western Front. They usually brought their own vehicles or purchased them locally but it looks like this Pierce Arrow has been lent by the US Army. Other charitable organisations which you can occasionally see pictures of them at work are the Salvation Army, Red Cross and Knights of Columbus to name but a few. The YMCA was probably the largest one of them all however.

I'm not expert enough to specify the model, but I am certain that this is a Mercedes.

Many points of similarity with this:

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/3/3e/Old_Mercedes-Benz_pic1.JPG

and this:

http://pixels.com/featured/1916--mercedes-benz-automobile-and-aircraft-advertisement--worl-war-one-john-madison.html

Edited by mtskull

I'm not expert enough to specify the model, but I am certain that this is a Mercedes.

Many points of similarity with this:

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/3/3e/Old_Mercedes-Benz_pic1.JPG

and this:

http://pixels.com/featured/1916--mercedes-benz-automobile-and-aircraft-advertisement--worl-war-one-john-madison.html

Well, you are nearly correct, you are only a few years too early, as on June 28, 1926, Benz & Cie. and DMG merged and became the Daimler-Benz company, and only then baptized all of its automobiles,Mercedes Benz. Before that they were known as BENZ, as is the WWI car in the glass negative.

Regards Rick

Well, you are nearly correct, you are only a few years too early, as on June 28, 1926, Benz & Cie. and DMG merged and became the Daimler-Benz company, and only then baptized all of its automobiles,Mercedes Benz. Before that they were known as BENZ, as is the WWI car in the glass negative.

Regards Rick

Vehicles branded "Mercedes" were produced from 1900 onwards; however you are right about the car in the photo and I stand corrected.

There are detail differences but it looks very like the Benz 18/45 illustrated here:

http://www.mbca.org/star-article/march-april-2011/automobiles-benz-and-mercedes-1908-1925

Edited by mtskull

It does appear that there is no rubber on the wheels. The rear wheels show a steel band about the outside of the wheel while the front wheel has a deeper edge to the wheel, almost as if it was a wooden sections about the wheel. This would equat to a fellow on a wooden spoke cart wheel, but they had a steel tyre about them to hold it all together.

Radiator design and the front tow hook leads me to consider a European manufacturer, with Tatra coming to mind, also purhaps early Benz.

Doug

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

The following vehicle is certainly a Daimler CB, one of a few released to civilian owners on essential war work. The leading is somewhat more difficult !, bonnet /radiator look Thornycroft but the wood wheels ,bonnet lifts are not. Chassis at front seems to lack dumb irons as such, more like a Dennis. Appears shaft drive rather than chain drive.

Richard Peskett.

The following vehicle is certainly a Daimler CB, one of a few released to civilian owners on essential war work. The leading is somewhat more difficult !, bonnet /radiator look Thornycroft but the wood wheels ,bonnet lifts are not. Chassis at front seems to lack dumb irons as such, more like a Dennis. Appears shaft drive rather than chain drive.

Richard Peskett.

The leading vehicle appears to me to be chain drive; I can see what looks like a sprocket where you would expect to find one, also what appears to be the opposite side chain. There are also several other features which are consistent with this being a Commer, i.e. Curved bonnet top, two bonnet latches, chassis extending forward of front spring hangers, wooden wheels.

Sorry, couldn't resist identifying the aircraft; they are examples of the Sopwith type 806 "Gun Bus".

The leading vehicle appears to me to be chain drive; I can see what looks like a sprocket where you would expect to find one, also what appears to be the opposite side chain. There are also several other features which are consistent with this being a Commer, i.e. Curved bonnet top, two bonnet latches, chassis extending forward of front spring hangers, wooden wheels.

Sorry, couldn't resist identifying the aircraft; they are examples of the Sopwith type 806 "Gun Bus".

no.

the 805 used an anzani radial....the engine fitted to this is clearly a beardmore:

300px-Beardmore_160HP.JPG

....which would make this aircraft more likely an FE2b:

300px-Royal_Aircraft_Factory_FE2b_profile.jpg

.............:-)

no.

the 805 used an anzani radial....the engine fitted to this is clearly a beardmore:

300px-Beardmore_160HP.JPG

....which would make this aircraft more likely an FE2b:

300px-Royal_Aircraft_Factory_FE2b_profile.jpg

.............:-)

image.jpg

There manifestly isn't enough detail to identify the engine beyond the fact that it clearly is not a radial or rotary but, leaving that aside, even at a glance this can be seen not to be an FE2b.

There are significant differences in the position of the control horns; the size, shape and layout of the nacelle; the arrangement and number of undercarriage struts and the fitment of skids to the undercarriage. There's also the large radiator behind the rear cockpit, filling the gap between the nacelle and the upper wing.

You are correct in that the original "Sopwith pusher" trainers for the Greek navy used Anzani radial engines; however these were all seaplanes. The subsequent armed versions, designated S PG N, were fitted with Gnome rotaries (Some of these were retained by the Royal Navy and a few converted to wheeled undercarriage).

The subsequent six aircraft built for the Royal Navy by Sopwith and the further 30 aircraft built by Robey & Co. were fitted with Sunbeam V8 engines and designated Type 806, two examples of which can be seen in the original photograph.

Edited by mtskull

• 2 months later...
Think that's a Robey-built Maurice Farman MF.11 Shorthorn

There is a copy of this photo on the web which is incorrectly captioned as a Farman but in fact it's a Sopwith type 806, as explained in previous posts.

Edited by mtskull

[ATTACH=CONFIG]102999[/ATTACH]

What is this?

Did someone drop a naval Gun on it?

or did the counter weight bucket at the rear spring a leak!

Looks like the ubiquitous Daimler Marienfelde to me; no idea about the gun, though.

• 1 month later...