Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: What type of girder fork is this?

Einbeck/Germany, between Weser River and Harz Mountains

Default Re: What type of girder fork is this?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	aabpkw.jpg 
Views:	96 
Size:	144.7 KB 
ID:	88158

2. Advertisement

Looks like 18157....? And, all looks original frame-wise.....? But I'm a tad rusty with WD Enfields and isn't that an odd location for a frame number...? Weren't they either on the headstock or front downtube..???? (almost "vertical" ?????)

Thanks for this picture! But... this doesn't look like an original frame number... As Steve already mentioned, this number was always stamped vertically on the WD/CO. It could of course have been a replacement frame...?

This is the "normal" frame number location:

Cheers,
    Jan
    "And now it's your turn to get up off that couch and go into the deserts, go into the mountains, go under the lakes, rivers, and seas and search for history. You'll never find a more rewarding adventure!" (Clive Cussler)

Quote Originally Posted by rewdco View Post
    Thanks for this picture! But... this doesn't look like an original frame number... As Steve already mentioned, this number was always stamped vertically on the WD/CO. It could of course have been a replacement frame...?

This is the "normal" frame number location:

Cheers,
    Jan
    Hello,
    I am new around here but I bought about 2 years ago the royal enfield front fork and fender. Last winter I worked on it and now it is build back in my Royal Enfield. I am still working on the bike but yes it wasn't the original frame number. I found the original one under the paint. The original number is 1515 and as far as I could find it in the books it must be build in 1940. You still can see a part of the number 18157 which must be added after the war.
    Regards
    Theo
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DSCI6388 front fork enfield.jpg  

Nice that you still have the original number that hasn't been filed off! It's an early 1940 WD/C from contract C5654 ( could be ex BEF) Where did You find it. Any numbers/symbols on the engine case? More pictures please!

Here is my own from a later contract in 1940. Ron
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails WDC 099.jpg  

Morris PU8/4 1940
    Austin Tilly 1942
    Willys MB 1942 (British)
    U/C MK2 1944
    2 Pounder anti tank gun 1941
    24 motorcycles 1939-44
    BSA parabike

Mosi, I'm puzzled here. Your post seems to indicate that the headstock on the machine in the photograph is the one which was photographed detached in the 2014 posts. (Has the headstock and front tube been grafted onto another frame ?) Certainly I can see the horizontal numbers '8157' which appear to be part of the '18157 ?' on the earlier photos...

But then the problem with the newly visible number 1515 is that as 'Rewdco' pointed out, the headstock has the horizontal cross-tube lug of a Type 2 CO frame. This would have had a number between 19827 - 26542 and prefixed with an 'M'. (although there were some Type 2 frames used at the end of contract C12425 (around number 11000 but again with the 'M' prefix.)

Previous research also seems to indicate that the number was stamped parallel to the headstock between the bearings. I fear that 1515 is another non-official stamping.
    "Always avoid the flashy use of the throttle so dear to the young, sporty boy". (with apologies to the Army Kinematograph Service).

Ah yes I agree with Rik. I just hadn't paid attention to the fact that it's the cut off frame section from the previous posts in 2014. It's clearly part of a late (1944/5) CO frame and therefore couldn't have had such a low number. Would you care to post more pictures? Ron
    Morris PU8/4 1940
    Austin Tilly 1942
    Willys MB 1942 (British)
    U/C MK2 1944
    2 Pounder anti tank gun 1941
    24 motorcycles 1939-44
    BSA parabike

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information