Willys M38 Jeep

Aha !! a jeep thing :D good oh ! Paul I'm glad the Mw lives on so to speak Looks a nice M 38 but must admit I know little about them apart from the fact I have an M38 engine block in my garage that I was going to build as a spare for my GPW does it need much TLC ? you'll have to post up lots more pics for us all, good luck with your new project.

The Rivet.

Aha !! a jeep thing :D good oh ! Paul I'm glad the Mw lives on so to speak Looks a nice M 38 but must admit I know little about them apart from the fact I have an M38 engine block in my garage that I was going to build as a spare for my GPW does it need much TLC ? you'll have to post up lots more pics for us all, good luck with your new project.

The Rivet.

thats a nice early one ! love the name !!.......always liked the m170 ambulances......

• 2 weeks later...

A M38 was our first MV.

Loved it but haven't got it anymore.

Ours turned out to have a cracked engine so it was replaced.

The engine had a tiny crack from a watercooling tube/tunnel thing between 2 cilinders.

Still have the engine tucked away somewhere.

Edited by Enigma

• 2 weeks later...

jeepmarch2014003_zps590e350b.jpg

The strip down has begun. The starter has been changed for a 12v unit (M38s were 24V) and an alternator fitted. The rest of the electrics are well past their best and will have to be renewed. I am working towards removing the body. So far most bolts have undone quite easily.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

What's not to like ? It's a Jeep ! M38? Hotchkis ? Willys ? who cares !!!!!...... 'cept for them 'orrible high bonnet ones! .... And I'd still have one of those if it was the right money anyways !....... And yes ...... The Korean War is fascinating ......my Dad was there ;) read 'To the last round '......staggering !

• 3 months later...
  • 2 months later...
Well done on a great restoration. Nice to know another M38 is back on the road in the UK.

Other than mine I only know of two others, both up north near me but one has been restored to look like a WW2 jeep.

I'll look out for you at shows."

I think you will find there are a lot of M38's out there and not just up north.......;)