No 38 set Wireless

snort

Today I bought a boxed installation kit for the 38 set.

It says 'for the installation in Armoured Fighting vehicles for comms. with infantry units with No.38 sets. It is fitted in addition to the Wireless set No. 19 , operated by the same mike and switchgear'

My question is, as this all was unopened and complete would this have been a common fitment to the 19 set?

And who carried the 38 set?

It has lots of bits including a full box of spare valves to fit the pieces.

I am, as you may have realised, not a radio man!

Thankyou

Hi

WS No. 38 came in infantry (backpack) and AFV variants. WS No. 38 (AFV) was usually fitted alongside WS 19 in armoured vehicles, I think mainly for infantry cooperation. The page at http://churchilltank.com/radio/ shows a typical AFV installation.

Hope this helps

iain

Thanks for that, a great help. Now looking into it a bit more.

Thanks for that, a great help. Now looking into it a bit more.

It would seem that it is a NOS 38 radio unit, a power unit and full fitting kit to run through the 19 set including the aerial so a result for me after all.:-D

mind you it wasn't what i thought I had bought!!

Blimey, that was good going! WS38AFV was carried in tanks for co-operation with the infantry (who would otherwise have to use the handset on the rear of the tank). Two of the WS19 control boxes inside the vehicle were changed to new ones that could handle both the WS19 and the WS38AFV and switch between them.

I've got control boxes and I'm not far away from you if you want to take a look.

If I understand correctly there are (at least) two different fitting kits, with PSU/Radio mounted lengthwise of hieghtwise next to each other.

Blimey, that was good going! WS38AFV was carried in tanks for co-operation with the infantry (who would otherwise have to use the handset on the rear of the tank). Two of the WS19 control boxes inside the vehicle were changed to new ones that could handle both the WS19 and the WS38AFV and switch between them.

I've got control boxes and I'm not far away from you if you want to take a look.

If I understand correctly there are (at least) two different fitting kits, with PSU/Radio mounted lengthwise of hieghtwise next to each other.

Yes good news Lauren, I will be looking for Control box No.16 and a few leads and then it looks like I am sorted.

I already have the 17 Control unit.

Keep your eye out for me, see you on the 8th.;)

The WS 38 AFV dates from mid 1945 and used the number 16 and 17 control units. It didn't survive very long as the infantry went over to the 88 set a few years after the war, and the 88 AFV set quickly replaced it. I have only ever seen one installed in a tank, and during the war tanks used an infantry 38 set installed next to the 19 set. The 38 AFV had it's own mounting trays and I will try and find out details about these. The set runs off of a 12volt supply.

The WS 38 AFV dates from mid 1945 and used the number 16 and 17 control units. It didn't survive very long as the infantry went over to the 88 set a few years after the war, and the 88 AFV set quickly replaced it. I have only ever seen one installed in a tank, and during the war tanks used an infantry 38 set installed next to the 19 set. The 38 AFV had it's own mounting trays and I will try and find out details about these. The set runs off of a 12volt supply.

Thankyou for that, most interesting and I was unaware about the trays, The instructions that came in the box are dated Nov. 44.

I will be fitting it I think, so it would be nice to get it right.

Amazing what you can learn here in such a short time:-)

Interesting, I hadn't twigged that the radios on their side in late war turret drawings were just the infantry ones put on the stowage shelf. That explains the batteries (I wondered why they weren't using the PSU, and figured it was using the lower voltage supply from the Canadian WS19)

It looks like the control boxes are earlier than the AFV version radio (there's a WS38 radio and replacement control boxes shown in the Churchill V & VI service instruction book April 1944).

A number 12 IIRC

The control boxes were not in the kit, the instructions that came with it (dated Nov.44) show fitting with a Control Unit No. 16 and a No.17.

I happen to have a No. 17 but am looking out for a No. 16 if anyone has one for sale.

Thanks for all the info

• 2 weeks later...