18 pounder limber

Hi Damien wondering if you could tell me what spares you may have for sale for the limbers chasing a break assembly for the rear limber Regards Tim

Tim,

sorry for delay in responding as I have not had a chance to look at the forum for a while. Unfortunately I do not have any spares for the ammunition wagon (rear limber) brake system. I am looking for the axle attachments myself. That said, what I have may become available later.

Attached is a photo of the gun limber with draught pole and pole support bar. I am still hunting for leather straps and a WW1 dated shovel in case there are any spares out there. Also looking for cartridge cases, projectiles, fuzes and the cruciform primer protector (aka shell base crosses). Methinks these will have to mainly come from Australia due to import grief. I hope to have some photos of the gun and limber together shortly. Footboards are varnished - I thought I would enjoy the woodgrain for a while before they are painted over. Colour is Service Colour mixed from original recipe in Artificers handbook. This is the prewar / early WW1 colour. It is more like the German Feldgrau than the later strong Brunswick greens etc.

P6182009.jpg

All the best,

Damien Nicholas...

P6182005.jpg

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi Nick,

Again what a cracking job you have done on the Limber ,I'm sure you are very pleased with the finished item.

Have you had it in combination with the 18 pdr ?

I have some pics to send you of my latest addition to the collection , right up your street !

All the best for 2017

Rob....................rnixartillery.

Edited by rnixartillery

Hi Rob,

many thanks for the compliment. The gun is effectively complete, but is blocked in the shed by next project. I will try and do some re-arranging in next couple of days so I can drag the gun up to the limber for some photos. It will be a nice "shazzan" moment to have them back together for the first time in 80 years,

all the best,

Nick.

Hi Nic,

Again what a cracking job you have done on the Limber ,I'm sure you are very pleased with the finished item.

Have you had it in combination with the 18 pdr ?

I have some pics to send you of my latest addition to the collection , right up your street !

All the best for 2017

Rob....................rnixartillery.

Hi Rob,

I managed to do the rearranging so managed to get some photos of the completed gun outside the shed for the first time.

It is the first pattern with updates to about 1912 standard. This is as the Gallipoli guns left Australia on their way to Egypt in Oct 1914. This particular gun is a MkI made by RGF in 1905. Those interested will notice many detail differences between this gun and those made from about 1914 onwards.

Again, will do the final paint job on the gun before it goes out for display

I hear that the ranks of the 18 Pr survivors is growing due to other restorations, which is a good thing.PC312324.jpg

Look forward to seeing your pics,

ATB

Nick

PC312299.jpg

PC312300.jpg

PC312323.jpg

Nick,

Well what can I say , an incredible restoration and although not entirely finished you have managed to give it a lovely patina.

Hopefully it will be seen at a few parades whilst the centenary is being commemorated.

And then on to the next project :-D

My new addition is not an 18 pdr but of equal interest ;-) ,Ill send some pics over shortly.

Rob.......................rnixartillery