Bedford MW

Davey089

• Replies 193
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks Howard , its taking time but will be worth it in the end . Gearbox opened up looks all in good fettle , no oil only gunge but cleaned out great :) . Compressor was a little stiff but seems to have cleaned up ok , if it doesn't work when I get it all up and running I have a NOS one still in its box I can fit .

IMG_0638.jpg

Edited by Davey089

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

A few more bits and pieces going on . Chassis and axles all cleaned off ready for dismantling , hubs stripped , new brake cylinders required , master cylinder all restored S/S liner etc , new king pins and bush's . I was going to restore the steering wheel myself but have decided to send it away for a proper job doing, going to replace the bearings in the gearbox while its out , rebuilding the starter motor ,managed to find a place that supplies the brush's and bush's , the suspension arms and drop links are going for refurb, new bush's and whatever else they find, hopefully not too much :-).Engine now going back together nicely after its health check.

Wooden body isn't too bad 4 pieces of timber are a bit soft ,leaving the body till last and the rest is done up and running.

Got the paint sorted , found a couple of panels and also under the regulator with the original paint still present .......Brown....... took the panels into the paint shop and had them paint match them , so putting it back to its original colour .

9747_810601659003425_7421553407950305695_n.jpg

10640987_809976955732562_7587381930988101574_n.jpg

11587_810601789003412_5361582646355959720_n.jpg

IMG_0652.jpg

10665671_802811033115821_5015734384629301727_n.jpg

10574464_810601942336730_7821548283755929103_n.jpg

10712874_811659938897597_3475356060467431815_n.jpg

IMG_0761.jpg

Edited by Davey089

Nice Job Davey

I have got an MW engine to rebuild after Christmas, so may need a few pointers if you don't mind.

I noticed in an earlier post you mentioned Totec tyres and them having, or getting Dunlop Track Grip tyres in ?

as you have probably found out by now, finding any new Dunlop Track Grip pattern tyres are like Hens teeth !

I expect they meant bar grip 900 x16 ?

Any way keep the info coming, I must update my Morris PU resto thread

Jules

Nice Job Davey

I have got an MW engine to rebuild after Christmas, so may need a few pointers if you don't mind.

I noticed in an earlier post you mentioned Totec tyres and them having, or getting Dunlop Track Grip tyres in ?

as you have probably found out by now, finding any new Dunlop Track Grip pattern tyres are like Hens teeth !

I expect they meant bar grip 900 x16 ?

Any way keep the info coming, I must update my Morris PU resto thread

Jules

Thanks Jules. I don't mind at all ,only too happy to help if I can .

Yes the tyres , when I originally spoke to Totec they said they were expecting delivery of "track grip " tyres, when they rang me to inform they had them in stock they told me they were Bar grip:rolleyes: . Not so long back on E Bay someone sold a number of "track grip" tyres for £50.00 each........I missed the that bargain , probably someone on the forum dropped lucky on those .

The new wheel cylinders and king pin set turned up today :), more parts of the jigsaw to get on with .

This week the wooden body is getting the cleaning treatment , then its getting down to replacing some of the "soft" timber .

I'm wondering what, if anything I can use on the timber as a preservative that won't react with the paint ,or is it just a case of a good few coats of paint as no doubt the first 2/3 coats will be soaked up by the timber.

NOS king pin set and front brake wheel cylinders arrived :) , king pin bush's fitted and reamed .Cleaned off the suspension lever arms this evening and found the dates 4/43 ,sent off the drop links to have new bush's fitted and at the same time having new seals fitted etc in the lever arms .

Sent off the steering wheel to have it recast , too many cracks and splits in the Bakelite and the steel frame work needs to be cleaned of the corrosion.

IMG_0762.jpg

IMG_0763.jpg

1460063_813635882033336_5182689640293249007_n (1).jpg

King pin bush reaming.jpg

Edited by Davey089

• 1 month later...
would the MWC (tanker ) have the same hand throttle as the MWR (radio truck )the one on my MWR has no kind of calibration to engine speed ?

Nicky

Having a chat with someone earlier about the plate , MWR came into conversation as possibly having the same plate fitted , not 100% on that though but someone will know :-). The label is actually moulded into the plastic .

Edited by Davey089

Back to the shock renovation . The suspension arms arrived back today .............some bad corrosion was found on the pins and luckily they had some NOS ones on the shelf , one of the drop arm links was also badly corroded and again they had one on the shelf . They re- bushed the links replaced the seals in the suspension units and refilled them with nice new oil :). £395.00

The bush's in the links were a problem in not being able to source enough , they managed to find some of the correct diameter but are an 1/8" short in length , the main thing is though the bush's fit and work fine .

Pictures of the corroded pins /drop link and NOS drop link .

IMG_0803.jpg

IMG_0802.jpg

IMG_0801.jpg

Edited by Davey089

Hello there... I've been reading this thread with great interest... Just got onto HMVF and I own an MW...

You asked about markings on the MW in your initial post but I'm unsure if you got a response...

If you were doing it up as late war British Army... Then you'd need the Divisional markings front and back... Mine has removable metal plates on the back board for markings...

The Z numbers go along the top of the doors (or along the bonnet - both are correct) and there is also a Z number on the rear...

by late late war it was stipulated that all vehicles were to have a large five pointed star (in a solid circle for British - this appears most common) on the largest horizontal surface... Usually the bonnet... It would be as large as physically possible...

Also so stars on the doors... No circle...

I actually haven't marked mine up with any stars as yet... Apparently drivers didn't like stars on the doors as they created fantastic aiming points!

There is also the question of whether to paint it 'Mickey Mouse'...

Have you decided what you are doing about a tarpaulin and canvas?

Have you got the correct 2 ton Ern Lake / Britool Jack?

Kind regards,

Pete

The rear lights shoulf be rubbolites No 5 and 5a one brake light and one rear light, like this,

[ATTACH=CONFIG]84928[/ATTACH]

John

John - And Davey... Any luck on sourcing these lights? I currently have Land Rover lights fixed on mine which I'm happy with... But ideally I'd like them to be able to fold away (I've got fold away indicators on the front)...

any my decent pictures of a correct rear light configuration with some detail would be very much appreciated...

Also, do I need lucas reflectors on the rear?

Sorry to clutter your thread, Davey...

John - And Davey... Any luck on sourcing these lights? I currently have Land Rover lights fixed on mine which I'm happy with... But ideally I'd like them to be able to fold away (I've got fold away indicators on the front)...

any my decent pictures of a correct rear light configuration with some detail would be very much appreciated...

Also, do I need lucas reflectors on the rear?

Sorry to clutter your thread, Davey...

Hello Pete

No luck as yet , I'm off to quite a big Auto jumble on Saturday so I'll have a good rummage around and you never know I might just be lucky...........even one would do to start with :D .What I'm going to do when out on the road is hang a trailer board over the tail gate and discretely hide the socket underneath. As far as the reflectors on the rear I don't think they had them War time but possibly post war ..............someone on the forum will know for sure :)

Dave