Page 19 of 19 FirstFirst ... 9171819

Thread: Bedford MW

Default Re: Bedford MW

Checked the head bolts , all good .Looks like the head is going to have to come off and see if the gasket is dodgy fingers crossed it is , still getting wisps of steam out of the rad cap........................
    1942 Willys MB Script
    Nov 1943 MBT Trailer
    1944 Para Bicycle
    1942 Welbike Mk1 Series 2
    1943 Bedford MW
    1944 RE Flying Flea

2. Advertisement

Hi Dave,

I have had this problem with my OX as long as I have owned it. Before I had the engine rebuilt, foam came out of the radiator cap. Since the rebuild coolant comes out. I have never managed to find the cause, despite an engine rebuild, replacement (pressure tested) head, radiator re-cored, filler neck spring reinstated and neck set up as per manual. I try to keep the coolant level just above the tubes and try to put up with it, but you can guarantee when coolant does spray out, it goes all over the windscreen! With vacuum wipers, this is more than a minor inconvenience.

Regards,
    Mike.

Hi Mike

I lowered the water level to just above the tubes and it no longer pushes water out, fitted a new spring and NOS rad cap and only sends out swirls of steam when I switch off the engine .

What's frustrating the engine was totally rebuilt ,the only thing that wasn't replaced with new was the crank . The only thing to do now is a pressure test and see if that shows anything ? or it might be one of those things , like yourself , I'll have to put up with . I did think maybe the NOS rad cap isn't seating properly , I could have tried eliminating that but the problem is it didn't come with one so can't try the original .

If I do manage to get to the root of the problem I'm going to fit a Temp gauge just for piece of mind . I did contemplate fitting elec wiper motors but stuck with the originals , something I might regret it at some point

Dave

Quote Originally Posted by mike30841 View Post
    Hi Dave,

I have had this problem with my OX as long as I have owned it. Before I had the engine rebuilt, foam came out of the radiator cap. Since the rebuild coolant comes out. I have never managed to find the cause, despite an engine rebuild, replacement (pressure tested) head, radiator re-cored, filler neck spring reinstated and neck set up as per manual. I try to keep the coolant level just above the tubes and try to put up with it, but you can guarantee when coolant does spray out, it goes all over the windscreen! With vacuum wipers, this is more than a minor inconvenience.

Regards,
    Mike.
    1942 Willys MB Script
    Nov 1943 MBT Trailer
    1944 Para Bicycle
    1943 Bedford MW
    1944 RE Flying Flea

I fitted a temperature gauge to mine a couple of months ago. It's supposed to have one and it's really good to know what's going on.
    Interestingly, I finally got round to fitting a thermostat this week. On it's first test run since, the water temperature went up and down like a yo yo and water was pushed out of the radiator cap! Thermostat's back out again now. I figure that I'll use the grill cover to hold the temperature up while I find out what's causing it.

Quote Originally Posted by Bigjohn View Post
    I fitted a temperature gauge to mine a couple of months ago. It's supposed to have one and it's really good to know what's going on.
    Interestingly, I finally got round to fitting a thermostat this week. On it's first test run since, the water temperature went up and down like a yo yo and water was pushed out of the radiator cap! Thermostat's back out again now. I figure that I'll use the grill cover to hold the temperature up while I find out what's causing it.
    That is interesting, because the one thing I haven't tried is taking the thermostat out and running without. Might give it a go and see what difference it makes - incidentally, I did fit a new thermostat when the engine was rebuilt.

Mike.

That's an idea worth a try saves taking it apart again .I did warm it up with the rad cap off and there was water flow , maybe its operating intermittently ? ....... probably clutching at straws though .
    1942 Willys MB Script
    Nov 1943 MBT Trailer
    1944 Para Bicycle
    1943 Bedford MW
    1944 RE Flying Flea

Thumbs up Re: Bedford MW

Quote Originally Posted by mike30841 View Post
    That is interesting, because the one thing I haven't tried is taking the thermostat out and running without. Might give it a go and see what difference it makes - incidentally, I did fit a new thermostat when the engine was rebuilt.

Mike.

Not sure if it will help but I fitted a new thermostat once and it caused the engine to boil up initially then work ok after a while.Turned out there was a small 1 to 2mm hole to give some water flow when the thermostat was fully closed ..BUT..in the hole was fitted a Y shaped piece of copper on the the one end of which was a 2 to 3mm plastic ball which blocked off the hole when water was pumped round ???!!!!!...hence no flow at all!! Engine got hot real quick and boiled up but would settle down when I assume the thermostat finally opened. Removed said "thing " from the thermostat to small flow even when cold and everything worked fine from then on.
    Hope this helps
    Andy

Quote Originally Posted by andy1960 View Post
    Not sure if it will help but I fitted a new thermostat once and it caused the engine to boil up initially then work ok after a while.Turned out there was a small 1 to 2mm hole to give some water flow when the thermostat was fully closed ..BUT..in the hole was fitted a Y shaped piece of copper on the the one end of which was a 2 to 3mm plastic ball which blocked off the hole when water was pumped round ???!!!!!...hence no flow at all!! Engine got hot real quick and boiled up but would settle down when I assume the thermostat finally opened. Removed said "thing " from the thermostat to small flow even when cold and everything worked fine from then on.
    Hope this helps
    Andy
    Had you put thermostat in wrong way up?
    Leading the charge!
    Jeeps posed for pictures Dodges were to busy working. I'm not mad! My voices say I'm sane! And I am not in the pay of Jersey tourisim No longer a 101. Now a Dodge WC54. If there is one thing makes me angry, its all the Incredible Hulk Films!! (Tony Banner)

Quote Originally Posted by andy1960 View Post
    Hope this helps
    Andy
    Andy,
    The little ball valve is there to release air when filling the system, once full the valve will float up and lock off flow. Once engine is warm, thermostat opens.
    If the thermostat was fitted upside down as Tony says, then the ball valve would stay open, but thermostat would not open very quickly as it sense temperature of coolant from the lower side.
    Richard Farrant

1943 Bedford QLD - 1941 BSA WM20 - 1943 Daimler Scout Car Mk.2
    MVT no. 1087 - IMPS no. 57 - AMVCS hon. member and Comms. officer
    KVE President and Newsletter Editor

Page 19 of 19 FirstFirst ... 9171819

Thread Information