some snaps

Snapper

I am sitting here struggling with the implementation of the population and metadata creation phase of a multiimillion pound photographic database. I needed to clear my head so please accept this dip into the Barnes snap library. The following pix from Beltring date from the late nineties.

here are some more snaps. You may get days of these - but I'll do them as new posts. I am now having to get my head round dealing with masses of snaps of the latest Big Brother contestants..zzzzzzzzzzz.

These pix come from Beltring and Duxford in 2001 and from the first Military Odyssey. Just for balance there is also one of the cutting edge of the Greek army in 1984. I wouldn't mess with them...

Good question. I think it is always getting bigger and with that you get bits of better or worse depending on your outlook. For me it can go whichever way it likes. I love the show and think it is a window into a brilliantly eccentric world. I have met some of the best people (plus a few tossers - but the football terraces were no different when I lived there). All I want is more and more variety. I just love the mix. I've never been to Overlord or the main MVT event, but have enjoyed Duxfords and Tilbury Forts..and of course Kelvedons - all other "regular" shows seem much more purist. Lizzie Ware compared Beltring to Glastonbury. She is 100% correct. In my day it was the old Reading festival. I've never really recovered from the cheap lager and dope cakes from those years...but at Reading I never got my hat run over by a tank. No contest. See you all there, I hope!

All these fine pics of W&P make me realise just how soon it is, and how little time there is to do all the work that needs doing. The build up seems to start erarlier and earlier each year. Only need to finish building up 2 CVRT engines, collect and fit a CVRT gearbox and completely rebuild and rewire a Spartan, along with MOTing trailers, Land Rovers and readying trucks.....can the all powerful Forum lobby the powers that be to add a couple more hours to my days?

Here is one from my archives, taken at one of the MVT end of season meets, Bovvy 87, held jointly with the All Wheel Drive Club. This is a section on their Heavy Vehicle Trial, how mnay RL owners on here, would take theirs on something like this?

RL owner here and no sorry not that brave with my RL, my ar_e would be biting chunks out of the seat. :shake: That looks like some climb and looks like the drive is very close to the side.

Here is one from my archives, taken at one of the MVT end of season meets, Bovvy 87, held jointly with the All Wheel Drive Club. This is a section on their Heavy Vehicle Trial, how mnay RL owners on here, would take theirs on something like this?

Fantastic picture Richard! Did it make it?

Brilliant pix from both of you chaps. More please. I'm glad I started this now.

The Hop Farm are looking for early show stuff. I only started in 1998. I don't know how I missed all the earlier stuff, but that's life. Spilled milk!

A couple of pics in particular catch my eye.

1. T62 with snorkel erected. Mainstay of the Soviet Tank regiment until the advent of the T64 in Russian tank regiments and its export version brother, the T72 - shown above - in the other WarPac nations' tank regiments. T62 then served as the MBT of the tank batallion of the Motor Rifle Regiment. You see how important it was to get your AFV regognition right?

After the collapse of the Soviet Union, 15/19H sent the first NATO battlegroup to exercise in Poland. They were shocked to find that the Soviets had landscaped entire rivers to match exactly the shape of, for example, the Weser, which would have been BAOR's main attempt to hold them. Thus they were able to work out exactly how to assault any river before they met it. In BAOR on the other hand, we learned that there wasn't a river in the BRD whose banks would allow us float our vehicles, so we ripped off all the float screens and threw them away, simply giving them up as a bad job. They were, anyway, easily damaged in forests and, on Scorpion at least, the ranges if, for example, fired from hull down, with the gun therefore ay minimum elevation, it didn't extend beyond the front of the hull and the heat and blast did nasty things to the float screens. Waste of money on two counts.

T62s such as that shown, would have trained rigorously to drive in, along the bottom and up the other side, barely slowing.

2. There are two pictures of Soviet MICVs. From the front, I wouldn't have spotted the difference. But the former (with green cam painted over the sand base) has only four roadwheels per track and the latter (in plain sand) looks like 6 - hard to tell in the dust.

I have dredged the depths of my AFV Instructor memory and decided that the latter is a variant of BTR50. I have to distinguish between BTR50 and BTR60 by remembering that a wheeled APC might have six wheels but never five, so BTR60 must have wheels whereas tracked vehicles like our Scorpions might have 5 road wheels per side, so the BTR50 must be tracked. Even though neither the BTR60 has six wheels (it has eight) nor the BTR50 five per side. What the former is, I have to admit defeat. I'd guess at a WarPac copy and put my money on the Czechs, whose Skoda T35 and T38 tanks were the best in the world before the war when the Germans moved in and they allowed the Germans to re-equip four Light Divisions as Panzer Divisions, including Rommel's 7th, to add to the six existing Panzr Divisions. They became known as PzKpfw 35T (for Tscechisch, "Czech") and PzKpfw 38T.

However, sat in the Recce Screen on the Forward Leading-edge of Own Troops (FLOT) well forward of the main force on the Forward Edge of the Battle Area (FEBA), we were never allowed the luxury of using roadwheels as primary recognition features. When they're coming toward you (as they would) all you can see are glacis plates and guns (hundreds of them) churning up so much mud or dust and diesel smoke that you wouldn't see them anyway from the sort of range you'd need to make a decision by.