How Many Humber 4x4 Utilities are there ?

thedawnpatrol

I was trying to work out how many Humber 4x4 PU Utilities there are restored, i can oly think of 4

can anyone add to that, a picture would be nice..............

I'll start with the 4 i know, mine of course :-

IMG_1723 (2).jpg

Tobin Jones :-

1942%20Humber.jpg

Bernard Venners :-

Bernards Humber.jpg

David Skinner's :-

674817-humber-military-vehicle-ww2.jpg

It would make a nice photo to have then all side by side

Jules

I saved a picture off the web a year or more ago of a Humber based on some pics of a wireless & pers. with a 15cwt rear body in a Bellona booklet. Or is it the original vehicle? I labelled it as a French Humber.I hope there's no objection to this pic being shown.

Being a Heavy utility owner I would like to see up to date listing of Heavy utilities.

Oh, and I suppose the shortest list would be for Ambulances!

regards Andrew

French Humber.jpg

I saved a picture off the web a year or more ago of a Humber based on some pics of a wireless & pers. with a 15cwt rear body in a Bellona booklet. Or is it the original vehicle? I labelled it as a French Humber.I hope there's no objection to this pic being shown.

regards Andrew

Hello Andrew

Yes, i found the same photo on the net, i don't know who it belongs to ? but i'm told that there were very few fitted with wooden GS bodies, it would be interesting to find this vehicle and check its history.

Cheers

Jules

Being a Heavy utility owner I would like to see up to date listing of Heavy utilities.

Oh, and I suppose the shortest list would be for Ambulances!

regards Andrew

Hi Andrew,

A list of existing 4x4 Humbers has been compiled by an owner in England. It shows 4 of the Truck Personnel models. There are two 4x4 ambulances, and as for the Heavy Utility, there are 17 shown, but I have a feeling there are several that are currently being restored and may not be on that list.

regards, Richard

I received Alec's list (thanks Alec) when dated oct 2008 and have been using it to keep track of heavy utilities. Alec had listed any details of about 50 vehicles (some minimal info for some).

I have accumulated photos of 37 different vehicles, and several unidentified.

From this distance I can only go by registration plates and it seems that some vehicles have had more than one over time.

I have wondered where the HU auctioned in the USA ended up, also the Hexonaut.

It appears that the Wireless & Pers. vehicles would be on the RARE list!

regards

Andrew B

Yes Richard I wouldn't publish his contact details without first asking him. But my many meetings with him and his family over the last 25 years, indicate to me that he is more than happy to talk about MV's at any time, any place, anywhere!! He also does the best Tommy Cooper impression I've ever seen......Fez and all. Ron

To add to this string, Tobin's PU has of course had its markings changed. So to avoid confusion, this is what it used to look like:

Humber FWD pu 2.jpg

Humber FWD pu 3.jpg

Humber FWD pu 4.jpg

The question of ambulances has interest for me - there are more than two.

When thinking of survivors most folk will mention the very original 115KGC, restored by Rob Hickmott and owned by the Rowell family for the last 25 years or so. It was recently advertised for sale at an eye watering price.

Humber FWD Ambulance 1.jpg

Humber FWD ambulance 2.jpg

Next up is FSK420. This was restored by Dave Rowlands - I think his name was - who built up a fleet of Humbers which included FWDs and LRCs. I understand that the vehicle uses an original ambulance chassis but how much else is original I wouldn't like to say - the main body is clearly wrong, using what I think is a post war radio body. But the bulkhead and windscreen rake also looks a bit odd. Nevertheless a good effort.

Humber FWD ambulance 3.jpg

Humber FWD ambulance 4.jpg

The third, JUV833, is barely known about. I only know of it because it used to be mine! The chassis number indicated that it started life as an ambulance and at some stage was given the 'fire service' body shown. I acquired it circa 1987, as a teenager, from a chap near Hook Norton - so presumably just down the road from Jules and Tobin! It had been sitting in the vendor's front garden for many a year and took ages to start, which should have been a warning sign; as should it boiling up about half a mile from the vendor's (and all the way home!). But what did I know, I was young and I'd wanted a Humber FWD for ages. It soon became apparent that it was very un-roadworthy; almost everything was worn out; and the decision was taken to strip it down and re-build it back to ambulance guise. However life got in the way and it moved to the Portsmouth area and I subsequently heard that it had been given a 15cwt body. I'm fairly certain this and the French 15cwt are one and the same vehicle. From other pictures I've seen they both have the early concertina air filter. But the chassis number or a closer examination of certain tell-tale features would confirm for sure.

Humber FWD ambulance 5.jpg

As an aside, the inside of the rear body had been red at some time or other, suggesting fire service use but the vehicle's history was unknown. And then during or shortly after ownership an aeroplane disaster movie from the 50s/60s was shown on the gogglebox. One scene showed some crash tenders being scrambled - WOT1s etc - at somewhere like Heathrow. Amongst them was a Humber with a JUV registration a few digits away from this one and a similar body. So my FWD may have indeed have had a (post war) fire service history at an airport somewhere. But given the style adopted, you'd have thought it would have been much easier to convert a PU than an ambulance!

During ownership I was given details of another Humber ambulance in need of a total rebuild near Leeds Castle (Maidstone/Ashford area). From memory this was said to be complete, as such I don't think this is the Rowland vehicle. Tantalizing, eh? Perhaps I should go and try and find the address...

Finally, I think the person who bought 'my' FWD was the owner of the tourer MMF120. If you look carefully at this vehicle you'll notice that the windscreen frame supports are bolted to the side of the bulkhead, which would suggest this is not a cut down box. It is most likely an ex PU - I'd have remembered if it was an ambulance!

Humber FWD pu 1.jpg

Edited by Runflat
pictures!

I viewed the above Humber Ambulance? FSK 420 last year with a view to purchase but on close inspection it appears to be an ex Humber Box chassis bulkhead/bonnet, a made up windscreen frame, cab & doors and the body from a 1950's Commer signals truck, ..its a replica!

Edited by Nick Johns

• 9 months later...
...an aeroplane disaster movie from the 50s/60s was shown on the gogglebox. One scene showed some crash tenders being scrambled - WOT1s etc - at somewhere like Heathrow. Amongst them was a Humber with a JUV registration a few digits away from this one and a similar body.

The film was the 1955 film "Out of the Clouds".

They're gorgeous trucks for sure :)

Do I recall one of these being rescued from Paris a few years ago??? I seem to recall reading an article (possibly on here?) of one that had been found in the back of a sort of lumber yard in a Paris backstreet?....The truck had to be more or less stripped down to get it out of there ????? Or am I thinking of a different vehicle all together ? :)

Anyways ! ..they're wonderful looking trucks ! :)

Do I recall one of these being rescued from Paris a few years ago??? I seem to recall reading an article (possibly on here?) of one that had been found in the back of a sort of lumber yard in a Paris backstreet?....The truck had to be more or less stripped down to get it out of there ????? Or am I thinking of a different vehicle all together ? :)

That was an Austin K2 ambulance

• 2 months later...

The third, JUV833, is barely known about. I only know of it because it used to be mine! The chassis number indicated that it started life as an ambulance and at some stage was given the 'fire service' body shown. I acquired it circa 1987, as a teenager, from a chap near Hook Norton - so presumably just down the road from Jules and Tobin! It had been sitting in the vendor's front garden for many a year and took ages to start, which should have been a warning sign; as should it boiling up about half a mile from the vendor's (and all the way home!). But what did I know, I was young and I'd wanted a Humber FWD for ages. It soon became apparent that it was very un-roadworthy; almost everything was worn out; and the decision was taken to strip it down and re-build it back to ambulance guise. However life got in the way and it moved to the Portsmouth area and I subsequently heard that it had been given a 15cwt body. I'm fairly certain this and the French 15cwt are one and the same vehicle. From other pictures I've seen they both have the early concertina air filter. But the chassis number or a closer examination of certain tell-tale features would confirm for sure.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]85012[/ATTACH]

As an aside, the inside of the rear body had been red at some time or other, suggesting fire service use but the vehicle's history was unknown. And then during or shortly after ownership an aeroplane disaster movie from the 50s/60s was shown on the gogglebox. One scene showed some crash tenders being scrambled - WOT1s etc - at somewhere like Heathrow. Amongst them was a Humber with a JUV registration a few digits away from this one and a similar body. So my FWD may have indeed have had a (post war) fire service history at an airport somewhere. But given the style adopted, you'd have thought it would have been much easier to convert a PU than an ambulance!

Hello Runflat, I think I have a few photos that may interest you.

JUV 833 shown in service with Birmingham Airport Fire Service in the '60s.

My Grandfather was Chief Airport Fire Officer there, for many years and often used this vehicle as his personal station car. (My uncle has many fond memories of driving this - even when he shouldn't have!)

Hope you find these interesting?

juv8331.jpg

juv8332.jpg

41.jpg

scan0057.jpg

FT - wow! If only we'd made contact 20 years ago the fate of JUV833 may have been very different.

For interest, here are some pictures of JUV825 from the film I was thinking of - "Out of the Clouds" (1955) - said to be Heathrow. Apologies for the quality! I wonder if there was a similar Humber at each of Britain's main airports.

Humber JUV825 01.jpg

Humber JUV825 02.jpg

Humber JUV825 03.jpg

Humber JUV825 04.jpg

Humber JUV825 05.jpg

Humber JUV825 06.jpg

Humber JUV825 07.jpg

Humber JUV825 08.jpg

Humber JUV825 09.jpg

Some cracking pictures there Father Ted and Runflat. I thought I recognised that registration plate and as you will see the picture attached shows the machine in a different guise some years later.

Someone sent me the picture so I have no details on it. Having checked on the DVLA website it was last registered almost 20 years ago in 1995, so it could well be no more.

Scott

image.jpg

• 3 months later...

Here are the remains of o Humber 4x4. I don't know if it was a box or a utility but would restore more easily as a utility.

Tarthra101010 052.JPG

I saw them in October 2010 near Sydney but do not know if they are still there as the owner has moved house and I hope took them with him.

Regards Rick.

Tarthra101010 047.JPG

Tarthra101010 048.JPG

Tarthra101010 049.JPG

Tarthra101010 050.JPG

Here are the remains of o Humber 4x4. I don't know if it was a box or a utility but would restore more easily as a utility.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]103608[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]103609[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]103610[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]103611[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]103612[/ATTACH]

I saw them in October 2010 near Sydney but do not know if they are still there as the owner has moved house and I hope took them with him.

Regards Rick.

Rick, that Humber has almost gone to god

There are a few HU models in New Zealand , imported post war by the NZ govt. for use by the survey/mapping dept. At least one kiwi example has been restored . Mike

I will be driving NHJ 751(1942) and accompanied by another - 425 JMV (1942) - Both Heavy Utilities when we head to Guernsey on the 6th May - when we were there last time(10 yrs ago) we had a photo shoot of all the Humbers taken - there were some 15-20 on the tour as i recall.

Ive just helped change the clutch on NHJ 751 - Relativly easy once youve taken out all the tin work and interior,but a wonderful vehicle to drive and certainly draws attension wherever it goes.....

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Rick,

I have just seen the photos of the Humber remains in Sydney.

It was a 4 door heavy utility as the side step is visible, which extends full length between the front and rear wheels.

It may look bad but there are sure some parts there I could use (for a second vehicle project!) If I ever get that far.

Thanks for showing us.

regards Andrew B.

• 1 year later...
  • 1 year later...

This may well have been my MkIIIA LRC as it was rescued from a timber yard in Angers near Paris and was covered in a single page of Wheels & Tracks many years ago.