clutch problem

rampant rivet

Question

Fitted clutch and gearbox awhile back on my Bedford Mw and have a slight problem in that there is a lot of slack on the clutch pedal :red: I have taken it all apart today to see what went adrift. The clutch fork is not bent and was located properly and the bearing was the correct way round, I did notice that the release fingers were all slack allowing for the excessive movement. As I loosened the bolts holding the clutch to the flywheel this play was taken up, I then removed the clutch and friction plate all looks ok I used a new recond friction plate the first time.

Just before leaving the workshop tonight I reffited the clutch without the friction disc and re fitted the clutch fork and I then had a good pedal.

Any Ideas on what's going on ? do I need to remove the flywheel and set the release fingers to suit the new friction plate or is it going to be a new clutch help please !!!! :red:

RR.

100_3526.jpg

pic showing excessive play of clutch fork

100_3531.jpg

Ditto

100_3522.jpg

Edited by rampant rivet

10 answers to this question

i had a similar problem on a Chevy 8cwt (almost the same clutch etc) that turned out to be the recon clutch plate was too thick, only a by a couple of mm is i remember correctly, be worth checking the thickness of the plate.

I hesitate to ask, but you have neither mentioned the spring on the clutch lever nor have it fitted, in the photo.

If you do not have the bulkhead in, maybe the pedal is not being held in the correct rest position?

Hi Richard yes I am missing the clutch spring will have to get one soon, there was so much slack in the pedal that when fully depressed it does not operate the clutch.

i had a similar problem on a Chevy 8cwt (almost the same clutch etc) that turned out to be the recon clutch plate was too thick, only a by a couple of mm is i remember correctly, be worth checking the thickness of the plate.

Hi just checked clutch friction disc and it is correct thickness new reconditioned.

Ok I think I have found the cause of the problem on closer examination of clutch fork and ball there is excessive wear also a washer was absent which should account for the slop, it was only after talking to an old retired mechanic today that things look like they are sorted :-D