R Cubed

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• 3 weeks later...

David, Clive - thanks for filling in the forms, sitting in my inbox when I work this morning - able to read them on my phone from the warmth of my bed!

I hope the process was no more painful than filling out a paper form, it's something I am developing so that we spend less on postage - quite an amount these days - and also have documents, both electronic and printed out, that are legible for the booking-in guys and for the arena team.

And we look forward to seeing you in May 2014!

David, Clive - thanks for filling in the forms, sitting in my inbox when I work this morning - able to read them on my phone from the warmth of my bed!

I hope the process was no more painful than filling out a paper form, it's something I am developing so that we spend less on postage - quite an amount these days - and also have documents, both electronic and printed out, that are legible for the booking-in guys and for the arena team.

Online forms are just the way to go. When I now get a form - like a piece of paper stuff, I am at a loss of what to do with it :blush:. Then I have the hassle of writing a cheque - can't remember the last time I wrote one :angel:

all i can say is a lot easier to do than i thought it was going to be:wow: and next year i will be there come hell or high water as enjoyed this year and 1 of the best shows that i have been to this year

hopefully a few more of the solent team will make the plains invasion at the begining of may next year:angel:

That worked well. Although it took longer than I had expected because I filled out the form then realised I hadn't checked the Code of Conduct. I clicked on that, came back & my info had gone. But I'll get it right next year!

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Hi Peeps -

What's the score with heavy armour attending the show?

Markheliops

Hi Mark - all and any vehicle attending the show can be either static display - owner sat in deckchair snoozing in sun - or displayed in the arena - owner enjoying putting on a display for the crowd who are informed by the notes on the vehicle given to the commentator :)

Heavy armour is fine, and very welcome, no restrictions on weight. The only problem we have is that the land isn't ours and the landowner is not prepared to widen the entrance gates in case it makes the site easier for travellers to get into.

So the restriction is on width rather than on weight from memory we are looking at around 9 feet and a bit between posts on the main entrance - if you can wait a couple of days we will get up there and measure all three gateways to see which is widest and what the exact width is.

Just entered online. I did notice a lot of the check boxes didn't work on my Mac, tried Safari and Chrome. I assume I will be contacted to clarify anything :-D

Loved the show last year (even though my truck blew its engine on the way home...)

Hi Paul, sorry to hear about the truck engine, hope all is well now.

Website runs on Wordpress with a reasonably standard set of plugins, I'm surprised that the forms don't work too well on a Mac. It's put together on a Linux PC running Chrome as a main browser with Firefox as an alternate. I also view it from time to time on my Win 7 laptop (Chrome and IE) and viewed on my Android phone (Chrome and native browser) to check the correct working of the switcher for mobile sites

Give me an hour and check the site - I'll implement a quick and dirty workaround for the check box issue.

Hi Paul, sorry to hear about the truck engine, hope all is well now.

Website runs on Wordpress with a reasonably standard set of plugins, I'm surprised that the forms don't work too well on a Mac. It's put together on a Linux PC running Chrome as a main browser with Firefox as an alternate. I also view it from time to time on my Win 7 laptop (Chrome and IE) and viewed on my Android phone (Chrome and native browser) to check the correct working of the switcher for mobile sites

Give me an hour and check the site - I'll implement a quick and dirty workaround for the check box issue.

Well it was running by War & Peace but not quite right so has been having some loving care over winter, picking up on Sunday and we are going for a little convoy with a REO, Jeep and my Dodge ;)

Yes - odd on the site, Wordpress normally delivers pretty good code. Its my business area so happy to get my head of dev to have a quick look if you want. Just PM me

Well it was running by War & Peace but not quite right so has been having some loving care over winter, picking up on Sunday and we are going for a little convoy with a REO, Jeep and my Dodge ;)

Yes - odd on the site, Wordpress normally delivers pretty good code. Its my business area so happy to get my head of dev to have a quick look if you want. Just PM me

Hi Paul, application shows in logs as received February 4, 2014 18:57. It should have generated an auto-reply and then our Paul, Paul Beauchamp who has taken over from Gary Lamsdale (thanks for five years hard slog Gary!) will sort out documents and get back to you.

Looks like there is a problem between the theme I have revamped the site with and the form builder plugin. I have mailed the developers of each to try and find a work around - j query is involved in there somewhere. I have no coding skills whatsoever so I'm somewhat reliant on various bits of software playing nicely together, when they don't and I shout at them to behave they take no notice :(

Hope the weather is good for Sunday, I had an hour in the sun today and it was extremely pleasant, makes me look forward to Spring and, of course, the late May Bank holiday.

Yes - odd on the site, Wordpress normally delivers pretty good code.

I left a comment last night on the developers site, he's in NZ. About ten minutes after me leaving the comment he was looking at my site. Impressive!

Now the bad news -

I note that it is just Chrome which has this issue. Everything looks fine in Firefox and IE11. It is the visual form builder which controls the styling of the form, and apparently clashes with the theme styles in some way that impacts display in Chrome. We could spend some time to help, but this is beyond the level of free support we can provide here in the comments

So for anyone who is running Chrome and wants to fill out a traders form please PM me via HMVF and I'll send you one you can use. The tick box on the vehicles and living history applications has been removed and replaced with a probably ungrammatical statement.

You can always reach us at the SOE group on Facebook or via the contact form on the SOE website

I left a comment last night on the developers site, he's in NZ. About ten minutes after me leaving the comment he was looking at my site. Impressive!

Now the bad news -

So for anyone who is running Chrome and wants to fill out a traders form please PM me via HMVF and I'll send you one you can use. The tick box on the vehicles and living history applications has been removed and replaced with a probably ungrammatical statement.

You can always reach us at the SOE group on Facebook or via the contact form on the SOE website

Thanks for the update. At least you have my entry so should be hearing soon. If I don't hear anything I can chase anyway

• 2 months later...

Had another show team meeting last night. Finalised some bits and bobs. A number of us are heading up to the show ground this weekend to do some 'gardening'

Looking forward to seeing you all up at the show again.

Looking forward to it.

As always there is an open invitation to bring any ignition components for testing particularly screened systems. Very few people take me up on this, there is no catch, no fee.

I can test distributor capacitors, rotor arms, coils, insulation breakdown in screened cables, sparking plugs & measure HT up to 20Kv.

Although I have previously tested coils by resistance, inductance & insulation breakdown. I have now built a device to run up an ignition coil so you can see the sparks fly. Also I can now measure insulation leakage up to 200 gigohms using a 5Kv source.

One might assume resistance stays constant but as far as insulation breakdown goes the resistance goes down with increased voltage. The 5Kv source allows sparking plugs to be observed as to whether any spark they produce is actually where it is meant to be!

I will be with my Pig & probably the only one there - that is Pig I mean :D

I have now built a device to run up an ignition coil so you can see the sparks fly

I took Clive up on this offer recently to test some 24v parts.

I can most definitely confirm that the 'Sparks' do indeed fly. :cool2: