restoration British 1 ton GS trailer.

guy66

The axle back in to it's place, we have a rolling trailer. next job will be the fitting of the mudguards.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]105995[/ATTACH]

Looks great Guy, shame the 'new toy' got in the way so it wont be at W&P this year ? or will it ?

Hi Rick I got them for Guy a couple of year ago from ToTec Tyres but he no longer sells this pattern then I found another dealer in Manchester England and had the last 2 but it looks like he's got some more back in stock ? https://www.bigtyres.co.uk/tyres.html?a_application=undefined&a_size=&ax_sw=18970&a_construction=&ax_rim=18868&ax_od=&ax_pro=

Thank you for that information Ian. I will chase them up in a few weeks. Too many other things happening at present.

Regards Rick.

Thank you for that information Ian. I will chase them up in a few weeks. Too many other things happening at present.

Rick, The BKT pattern is the same pattern Olympic used to make uptil about 5 (?) years ago, so you might get lucky in Australia. From what I have heard they are/were used on crop sprayers.

Lovely work on the trailer Guy.....and brilliant work on the fenders! I would love to hear how you did those.....do they have the edges folded and a wire inserted? One day I will have to make a set for my Chev C8, so would love to hear about your experience.

Alex

• 1 year later...

It was imposible to resist the temptation to collect a extra 1 ton trailer and surely for a nice price.

But there are some tricky bits missing , axle have been modified with bigger wheels and the front hook and jockey wheel are missing.

So if there are parts around just hive a shout. I still have a bad axle that I can repair , just missing one 13" wheel for it.

Guy.

attachment.php?attachmentid=125789&stc=1attachment.php?attachmentid=125790&stc=1attachment.php?attachmentid=125791&stc=1attachment.php?attachmentid=125792&stc=1attachment.php?attachmentid=125793&stc=1attachment.php?attachmentid=125794&stc=1

IMG_2287.jpg

IMG_2288.jpg

IMG_2286.jpg

IMG_2275.jpg

IMG_2283.jpg

IMG_2284.jpg

Edited by guy66

Under several layers of paint I found these inscriptions on the rear door.

96 must be REME , but division sign is not so clear . There where a lot of layers paint over each other but I can see some sky blue as a base colour.

attachment.php?attachmentid=125797&stc=1

1 ton trailer.jpg

Had a good look at the trailer and as it is still so original (except the axle) I think I will rebuild this one and use the missing parts from my other project.

Took the metal floor out that had been added by the previous owner.

attachment.php?attachmentid=125882&stc=1attachment.php?attachmentid=125883&stc=1attachment.php?attachmentid=125884&stc=1attachment.php?attachmentid=125885&stc=1

IMG_2292.jpg

IMG_2293.jpg

IMG_2294.jpg

IMG_2295.jpg

Started to repair the bottom edge of the side plate work and removed some extra paint on the back number . It looks like the yellow and red bit on the number had a extra cote of paint on them and the number was changed . Is this modification a post-war change ??.

attachment.php?attachmentid=125959&stc=1attachment.php?attachmentid=125960&stc=1

IMG_2296.jpg

IMG_2297.jpg

Trailer is completely stripped and of to be sandblasted .

Took the home made axle from under the trailer and it was made of two front wheel hubs .

These two hubs came from a military vehicle but I don't know from witch type .

If interested these are surplus to me , with the two 20" wheels.

attachment.php?attachmentid=126183&stc=1attachment.php?attachmentid=126184&stc=1attachment.php?attachmentid=126185&stc=1

IMG_2301.jpg

IMG_2302.jpg

IMG_2303.jpg

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Trailer is almost ready, axle and towing unit with jockey wheel back on the chassis.

Now looking to cut some planks for a new floor and there will be some work on the rear hatch as this was really the worst bit on the trailer .

Will rivet a new plate on to the original angled iron construction of the rear hatch.

Still had some new made mudguards from my 1st trailer project that I can use for the moment but looking to repair the original mudguard that where on the trailer .

So it looks I can get this trailer ready for next War & Peace show , will be a nice tow behind the Bedford QL.

attachment.php?attachmentid=127279&stc=1attachment.php?attachmentid=127280&stc=1attachment.php?attachmentid=127281&stc=1attachment.php?attachmentid=127282&stc=1

IMG_2340.jpg

IMG_2342.jpg

IMG_2344.jpg

IMG_2346.jpg

Edited by guy66

new floor in the trailer and started do repair the rear hatch , Imperial size rivets are on order to rivet everything back together.

The two identification plates are also back on there place!

Also started to clean some accessories, lightning and the T- plate for the back side .

attachment.php?attachmentid=127353&stc=1attachment.php?attachmentid=127354&stc=1attachment.php?attachmentid=127355&stc=1attachment.php?attachmentid=127356&stc=1

IMG_2348.jpg

IMG_2347.jpg

IMG_2349.jpg

IMG_2350.jpg

Hello.

Did some extra work on the trailer , started to repair the sandblasted original mudguards and riveted the rear panel in to the tailgate. So almost done, just some extra spray work and some electric stuff .

attachment.php?attachmentid=127474&stc=1attachment.php?attachmentid=127475&stc=1attachment.php?attachmentid=127476&stc=1attachment.php?attachmentid=127477&stc=1attachment.php?attachmentid=127478&stc=1

IMG_2351.jpg

IMG_2353.jpg

IMG_2355.jpg

IMG_2357.jpg

IMG_2361.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Just some extra work on the trailer , rear hatch in to paint and the census numbers painted on the rear and the sides . Made the missing handbrake rods, on this type of trailer you only had a parking brake.

Now the repair off the mudguards and some easy removable lighting on the back and we are ready .

attachment.php?attachmentid=127673&stc=1attachment.php?attachmentid=127674&stc=1attachment.php?attachmentid=127675&stc=1attachment.php?attachmentid=127676&stc=1

IMG_2364.jpg

IMG_2365.jpg

IMG_2366.jpg

IMG_2367.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Trailer ready for it first trip to Wings and Wheels meeting here in Belgium, mounted a hinged panel on the back with modern lighting and the number plate that is easy to get rid of on a meeting .

So now we can start again on the Morris Commercial C4. :-D

attachment.php?attachmentid=128494&stc=1attachment.php?attachmentid=128495&stc=1attachment.php?attachmentid=128496&stc=1

IMG_2374.jpg

IMG_2376.jpg

trailer ww.JPG