Who do Hogspears Ebay items go for such stupid/high prices?

Scotch Harry

Some prices have gone a bit crazy.

Three hundred quid for a 68 smock and 58 webbing is a lot.

Maybe the pics and presentation from hogspear help? It gives the impression of provenance? Believe it or not I once got a DPM arctic parka 44/58 webbing bits and smock/lightweights all for £20 from hogspear but that was a few years ago.

I have to admit I once put a huge bid in on a green windproof and some maps and documents from the Oman campaign that were supposed to come from a SAS officer (I was outbid) and the listing ended at nearly £700!

Hogspear is one of a few traders that have somehow acquired this air of authority and impeachable reputation (despite some very dodgy stuff!) and people now just assume that if something comes from them it must be special and worth the prices they ask.

There have been rumours of them keeping a close eye on the obits section of the papers and swooping in, putting pressure on the family to sell at a price that's rather low considering what they sell it for. Although as i say, a rumour, and nothing has been proven in a court of law. Yet.

• 1 month later...

I am a bit out of my depth here so may well be wrong, but this seems a lot to me:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1980s-Falklands-War-Era-British-Army-Parachute-Smock-with-Para-Wings-Ref-NFL-/141148829128?_trksid=p2047675.l2557&ssPageName=STRK%3AMESINDXX%3AIT&nma=true&si=PiyabT2OWx3neu5zYB601musfik%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc

OK it has the pre-NATO sizing and a hat with it, but surely it isn't worth as much as that?

I am a bit out of my depth here so may well be wrong, but this seems a lot to me:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1980s-Falklands-War-Era-British-Army-Parachute-Smock-with-Para-Wings-Ref-NFL-/141148829128?_trksid=p2047675.l2557&ssPageName=STRK%3AMESINDXX%3AIT&nma=true&si=PiyabT2OWx3neu5zYB601musfik%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc

OK it has the pre-NATO sizing and a hat with it, but surely it isn't worth as much as that?

I was also keeping an eye on that as I have an identical one:

http://hmvf.co.uk/forumvb/showthread.php?25137-Latest-Acquisition-77-Pattern-Para-Smock/page2

My one was about £40. I may have got it a little cheap as it was badly listed, but £200+ more..?

Sorry to pick on Mr Hogspear but wonder how much this ordinary 59 Patt Denison will go for,on pretty much a high price now as it is.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/141104470633?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1438.l2649

:wow: I've just sold one for £40 to a mate of mine, this particular lad collects Denison's ,he has some rare bits of kit and has just paid £1000 for one from the Hartenstein Museum with certificate of authenticity.

Edited by Davey089

:wow: I've just sold one for £40 to a mate of mine, this particular lad collects Denison's ,he has some rare bits of kit and has just paid £1000 for one from the Hartenstein Museum with certificate of authenticity.

You mean the museum itself is selling Original items?

You mean the museum itself is selling Original items?

Yes , this lad bought it through the museum along with the certificate . He has quite a collection of Denison's through the years 1st and 2nd pattern's, very knowledgeable lad on airborne and Special forces kit , he also has a nice collection of original BD's .

Edited by Davey089

As has been said about Hogspear before,yes he has a constant steady supply of stuff,some very very rare and exotic which you would expect to go for big money but even his run of the mill bog std items go for 2,3,4 times their realistic values,which for him as a seller he isnt going to complain I guess!!

Perhaps you need advise , or to read up on how to study the form for Shill bidding (bidders past history - now badly presented on eBay UK , I did read the reason was to make it very difficult / almost impossible for interested parties to gain evidence for wire fraud in the USA)

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Oh for heaven's sake... Here's hoping I bump into one in a charity shop or at a car boot sale* for a fiver. Going by their eBay appearance frequency, Denison smocks per se aren't rare.

*Got a '77 type DPM Para Smock at my local one on Sunday for £2:-D

If it arrives,just picked up what looks like a nice 59 Patt Denison for £20,and that was on Ebay so why people pay this sort of money I have no idea.

I thought my searches were pretty tight, but I never spotted that and I can't find it in completed items, so you must have searching honed down to a positively forensic standard.

Are you quite sure you haven't bought a one-sixth Denison by mistake......? :-D