Para light weight

plainmilitary

Hi guys

Having just aquired a rather sorry looking SER3 Light weight, i am trying to find some info on Para light weights.

The reason for this is I am going to dress her as one of these vehicles. I have found one picture that is small and does't give much away on what goes where.

Does anyone out there have any pictures I could use in the build of my vehicle. This is my first attempt at this sort of thing so it will be slow but I am going to do a build in progress.

Also can anyone point me in the right direction to sorce a tail gate for a AP landy.

Many thanks

Tony

Tony,

The split tailgates turn up on ebay quite often. There is also a good book my Mark Cook called 'The Half-Ton Military Land Rover' which has hundreds of good photos. You should find one of those on ebay too!

Chris

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Chris

Might have to take you up on that offer. Going to give Paul a ring tonight and try and arrange something for the weekend. Pete has brought another landy which we are going to strip for bits. If anyone wants bits for a SER3 station wagon give me a few days to see what we need and the rest will have to go.

Picked my LW up yesterday and well what can I say. The main bolk of it is there IE rolling chasie, body work but the rest is in a big box. Its going to be fun trying to find were everything goes. I will take some pics today and post them on the condition you don't laugh at it. This will be my first attempt at restoring a land rover so please bear with me.

Tony

OYA the engine is in a big box as well. The military reg num is 2020KG is this normal? I allways thought it started with numbers then letters then numbers. :dunno:

Chris

I went over and had a look for my self today and yes you are right. The real REG is 02 GF 79. We had a good look around it and it is going to take a bit of work but nothing we can't handle.

I have also got some pictures of her which I will post real soon.

Tony

Hopfully I have got this right.

As you can see she is going to take a bit of work.

LW2.jpg

LW1.jpg

LW6.jpg

LW19.jpg

LW9.jpg

LW8.jpg

LW14.jpg

This will give me the chance to get my big tools out and start grinding and sanding.

Thanks for not laughing chaps.

Edited by Marmite!!
Tried to repair links, all broken

Nice new toy.... bit of weld and a bit of paint it will get there...

just yo let you know the surples shop up hursts has now been closed but both the yards are still there....

they had lots of nets and stuff at the one in the village...

Hello Cris

Is it the yard that sells all the steel that has closed or the one that does the scrapping. If the one that does the steel is still there I should be able to get hold of the bits im looking for. I will post some more pics of her soon now that she is totaly striped.

Sorry didnt explain my self very well

there was a good surplus store in the mobile at the yard just out side the village got LOTS of stuff really good and cheap to.... it has now closed tho.

both the yards are still open. the one in the village has more useful stuff..i.e. pioneer kits, ammo tins, cam nets jerry cans, plates, .. but i have a couple spare if needed,

if you get stuck i take you up there somwhen... got to know them quite well.

when ur about call me and i come over for a look see... would be nice to see them

Cris

Thank god for that you had me worred for a while there. If Joe had closed then that just leaves Colin and he does'nt do much in the way of surplus. Mind you from what iv heard Colins not to spiecal at the moment.

I have your number I will give you a shout some time over the weekend, Come over the farm and have a look at the old girl. She has now allmost been stripped down to nothing though. Found some more rust holes on the chassic which will need some work but they are very small.

Looking at her I would say that the guy that had her before me must have spent some money on it cos there has been some major repair work done in the past. This is good new for me, I dont need to do it :banana:

Cheers for the heads up on Joe.

Polecat Paul,

My 12v GS Lightweight 49HG92 was with 7 Para RHA 1984-1990. Were you with them at that time and do you remember 49HG92?

Have you any idea what a bog standard LW would have been used for. I doubt mine was a recce vehicle. All I know is that my 12v GS had a manpack radio fitted in the back.

Thanks in advance

Hi guys

Having just aquired a rather sorry looking SER3 Light weight, i am trying to find some info on Para light weights.

The reason for this is I am going to dress her as one of these vehicles. I have found one picture that is small and does't give much away on what goes where.

Does anyone out there have any pictures I could use in the build of my vehicle. This is my first attempt at this sort of thing so it will be slow but I am going to do a build in progress.

Also can anyone point me in the right direction to sorce a tail gate for a AP landy.

Many thanks

Tony

Hello Tony.There is a re-inactment group called (5th Airborne Brigade) and they have a website.They have a Para LtWt within the group which one a best vehicle award at war and peace last year.There are some pics of it on there site.But im sure if you made contact with them they will provide you with more pics.You can find the group through milweb.Go to support services then click on (clubs and societys) and its listed there.All the best.

• 2 years later...