WW2 British 1 Ton 2wheel GS Trailer

Ian L

Right grand job, have really enjoyed following this. I envy you with a trailer that age and data plates in such good condition.

Dead impressed.

Robin

Thanks Robin.

Took this photo just as we were going out this evening and the heavens opened up, should tell if the new canvas is water proof :sweat: if not my double mattress and the rest of my gear is going to get very wet tonight.

DSC02785.JPG

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

John,

The socket is not listed in the 1943 Vocab and I am wondering if they are in fact postwar and to feed brake lights, if fitted to the trailer (the term "Trailer Connector" would indicate it was on the vehicle). I recollect someone telling me they were fitted to the early Series 1 Land Rovers in army service.

regards, Richard

Hi Richard,

Providing power to brake lights would make sense. The WO ID List with the drawing of one is dated 1949. Did trailer brake lights starting to be fitted immediately post-war?

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Richard,

Providing power to brake lights would make sense. The WO ID List with the drawing of one is dated 1949. Did trailer brake lights starting to be fitted immediately post-war?

Hi John.

I fitted the WW2 socket instead, plus the convoy light & switch. wiring up can wait until I get home.

DSC02808.JPG

DSC02809.JPG

DSC02813.JPG

DSC02811.JPG

• 4 months later...
  • 8 months later...

Hi Ian,

really outstanding work with your trailers! Could I ask for small help? My friend in Czech Rep. owns one 1ton GS trailer. He found it in very poor condition with many parts missing (wheels, mudguards, rear plate etc) . Now he finally bought pair of original wheels and he wants to build replica of mudguards. It is possible, please, to measure basic dimensions? It means basic width and legth of mudguard sheet and width of reinforcement?

GS trailer.jpg

Hi Ian,

really outstanding work with your trailers! Could I ask for small help? My friend in Czech Rep. owns one 1ton GS trailer. He found it in very poor condition with many parts missing (wheels, mudguards, rear plate etc) . Now he finally bought pair of original wheels and he wants to build replica of mudguards. It is possible, please, to measure basic dimensions? It means basic width and legth of mudguard sheet and width of reinforcement?

[ATTACH=CONFIG]115106[/ATTACH]

Hi PaKlo the trailer in your photo looks American ? these are the sizes copied from the original's.

28 cms wide.

80 cms long.

Reinforcement 4cms from the edge.

DSC04256.jpg

DSC04253.jpg

DSC04252.jpg

DSC04251.jpg

Thanks a lot Ian. The trailer is really British GS 1ton, but wheels and mudguards are used from Czech trailer and hook eye and front wheel were used from American trailer, because only frame and basic body survived.

Still have a pair in the workshop for you Ian , think these are the ones for your other trailer . on the picture are the ones for my trailer as the edge is a bit different .

Guy.

Hi Guy, your man does a fantastic job fabricating these wheel arch's, you must give me some dates when your over in the UK again so that I can collect them.