Humber heavy utility

Jimmy F

• 3 months later...
  • 4 months later...

Jimmy

I see that you are sneaking up on the top of the bulkhead/windscreen area - we have just been fabricating this area so if there are any measurements or pictures you need give me a shout. The Album of all 440 or so pictures we have taken so far is here and the bulkhead ones should be at the top:

http://s484.photobucket.com/user/RustyTrucks/library/Humber%20Heavy%20Utility

Do you have the screens by the way?

• 2 years later...
...back to our Humber it seems it was one of 3 or 4 made as a development, possibly post war, although our plate suggests it is wartime. Does anyone on here have any information in this??

Jimmy, here's some information from the National Archive. It seems the steering had to be alterted to fit - so it'll be a pain to convert back to original. Enjoy!

I hope things are progressing well.

Humber FWD - coil springs trial.doc

Humber FWD coil springs 1.jpg

Humber FWD coil springs 2.jpg

• 4 years later...
  • 1 year later...

Hi 

I am so pleased to have found this post,

Some good work done here.

I have Just bought a Humber which all the woodwork has been replaced at some point (badly),

and has now rotted away, most of the bulkhead was also cut around,

So apart for a couple of front floor boards, thats all the woodwork.

I cannot rely on any of the wood, as it dose not fit well,  list is too long.

IMG_0004.thumb.JPG.14e1c4f076f689ec2ebc0530ebd06d92.JPG

cab floor and drivers seat wood still there the rest of the wood is replacement, looks really good in this pic.

the rear wheel wells are 6' lower and 6' further out(cut down.

I basically need sizes for everything and a truck load of parts, A radiator as well as I think it has the humber LRC one fitted.

regs

Rupert

• Like 3

Hi

I notice the MoS plate had a "civilian" number,

From what I have come across this is not unusual for Government Vehicle's,

I doubt the RLC will be able help with that ERM, they do a chassis no. search 

the Kirkhead trust maybe able to help.or BBC.

best i can do is London JAN 47-AUG 47 So likely still with the Military/ Govt dept.

Sept 1953, onwards.

I can across some numbers I cannot guarantee the accuracy here.

865-------   CONTRACT S.9323 for two   12/8/1946

Here's An Ex BBC Humber, 

IMG_9857.thumb.JPG.4254190f19d1aacbe6fb5385e61a43c3.JPG

good luck

rupert

Edited by rupert condick

you are   correct the RLC do not hold   government department civilian registered  vehicle  records  you may be lucky that the civilian ERM appears in post war military vehicles sales catalogues those covering the period 1945= 1949

Edited by wally dugan

On the subject of Humber FWDs, can anyone tell me why there are two different windscreen arrangements?  I read somewhere that there were two versions; one general one and a second for senior officers with some variations, including an opening roof.  I also read that these had strengthened window pillars.  Is that the explanation or is there another one?  The BBC vehicle above has the second type of windscreen but I enclsoe below a photo of one in Korea showing it in-service - so it wasn't a post-war civilian refurb.  The second photo was an original Humber one, the first, a private one, possibly from this Forum.

m.png.c0315e053b9233d350fd5ca12fe06dc4.png

l.jpg.6fbd4ee6247ba22f8e4dc649f96f7874.jpg

• Like 1

3 hours ago, 10FM68 said:

I enclsoe below a photo of one in Korea showing it in-service - so it wasn't a post-war civilian refurb.

In service, but Hong Kong 1954-56 according to the website of the Military Vehicle Trust South East Midlands Area/Archive pictures/ China Station.

They may be right, or it may be in Korea - there are so many photos on the internet these days with incorrect captions, it is impossible to be certain of the veracity of any of them.  Either way, it's the windscreen which is of interest to me rather than the location - that it was still in service was the point.

Hi 

the windscreen changed to the rounded type on later models,

the one in the picture  top,

this info would indicate that it had been rebuilt.

90 YG 98 , M4379881, ch.no. 8350254, contract V.3829, FAR.CR 31/12/56,

picture Bottom

is M4379727, Ch.no. 8350100, contract V.3829. of c1941

buy chance had this info,

Does look like Korea though. FAR would be the key. maybe, Far Asia Region?

there where pullman conversions but I do not know much about them.

regs

Rupert

Edited by rupert condick
more info.

Many thanks for that, Rupert, all very interesting.  Lovely trucks - there was a real cracker for sale in Holland not so long ago - about £40 odd thousand as I recall - I'd give my eye teeth for one, though I'm not sure I could even afford the fuel bill!

there should be a very original one in New South Wales, that came from Western Australia a few years ago.

and one from Singapore in New Zealand.

there should be more in aussie but, i only know of two.

the one I have will need some work, my local gym at home.

regs

Rupert

Hi Rupert. The ex-West. Aust. Humber is in Melbourne undergoing a long term restoration. I believe a UK immigrant imported the Humber,  late 1950s. There are more than one in N.Z. A N.Z. govt. Department imported a few in the 1950s.. think it was from Hong Kong. Matthew Lombard has the remains of one. 

Edited by goanna

Hi Rupert

I have been working my way through the ex WA Humber for some time. Everything I touch needs work.

Most Humbers seem to have the square windscreens, late contracts have the rounded version for extra strength I believe, and probably better weather sealing. They all had sliding roof hatches , mine is over the rear seats, the later ones were in a different position moved forward although l haven't seen an example.  I have known your vehicle for many years, I had a visit from Nigel many years ago. Looking at the floor of your vehicle, it looks original up to the rear arches. The 2 'boxes' in the floor were for storage of tyre chains !  Your car looks like it has a Bedford radiator from other pics I've seen as they have a distinctive filler cap. The LRC radiator is the same as the HU.

regards, Andrew

well i am looking for a rad, but might have to go for a made up one,

the radiator could be Bedford although its very similar to the Humber LRC mark II, rad (P.72235),has that Bedford type  top cap,(P.72688)

IMG_0487.thumb.JPG.a06fbaf5259631a4a882cb640e84e7c6.JPG

the Humber rad being P.47611, and cap P.47687

the I C A humber there is a tube on it, I think it was in one other film after ICA.

i check the link.

Edited by rupert condick
more info

A heavy utility features in couple of scenes well into The Guns of Navarone, where Gregory Peck and his gang dress as Germans and travel in a 'German' Humber to enter the castle lasting a few minutes. Quite good for the Humberphile.