war and peace show at beltring 2014

griff66

On reflection I liked Beltring, as the camping was easier for people like me who could not spend 10 days on site. In view of the new 'be on site for the week' rule this year I could just as well come in a civi camper as the public didn't come by my MV where I was camping at all! At Beltring I could still arrive on the last four days and feel welcome by the organisers and still be allowed to park up on my Club stand nearer the action. The other thing at Beltring was the ability to play after hours; I loved the tracked vehicles doing a circuit of all the fields at Beltring and got some good photos but I don't think this happened at Folkestone this year did it! While the arena at Beltring wasn't perfect, the view was much better than the Racecourse where vehicles disappear from view on the far side. Another thing that annoyed a few amateur photographers at Folkestone was the insistence on taping some kind of safety notice to each wooden post in the arena that evidently formed the edge of a 'a vehicle no go area' from that point up to the public barriers; surely these didn't need a notice on each one and instead could be disguised as something else? Even adding fake barbed wire would help make the arena more photo friendly. On this same point it would be good if the white vans, toilets and other plant be moved or at least hidden on the other side of the arena and red an white tape removed. I know that people attend for many reasons and that taking photos is one important reason.

From the Official War & Peace Facebook page https://www.facebook.com/warandpeacerevival

Folkestone Racecourse - grass seed is coming on! (24 photos)

Haig's, Quiet Camping, Living History, Patton's, Dannatt's, Col H Jones and Kitchener's fields have all been re-seeded. And it's all coming up beautifully! — at War and Peace Revival.

• 3 weeks later...

I was looking at the official website the other night with the fancy timer.

I couldn't find the prices, have they yet to be announced for 2014? What does it typically cost to bring a vehicle in?

Just having some crazy thoughts for July 2014 :nut:

I think there are two problems.

1. we have all got used to the Beltring layout, good or bad. When we get used to Folkestone I think we will wonder why we bereaved the loss of Beltring

2. it was the first year. The organisation were pretty agile at this years event (with the stupid one way system being canned mid way through) so I think they did a sterling job, have learnt some things from the new venue and am sure it will be even better next year.

I did not feel I needed to stay trhe entire week, and in fact had to leave early due to some work commitments. As for cost, considering the facilities were better, and they kept the cost of camping the same...seems a bargain to me.

Mick

I think the price is GBP 25 per vehicle (any type), and includes admission for 2 adults and 2 children.

approx 30 quid for couple of weeks camping if support vehicle as well another 30 quid ish

Cheers have to see if I can be in UK at the right time this time

• 4 months later...

Working in the public transport industry, altough id attend if the show was nearer to the Midlands (living in London), however, for the vast amount of international friends, it is an attractive location.

Also, for UK visitors, schools etc, you couldnt get any nearer to a main railway station..... 7 mins to Ashford and only 58 minutes London to Westenhanger.

although we're there for our own holiday and fun, without larger visitor footprint, we're snookered.