WW2 Air Ministry Airborne Compressor Trailer

Ian L

Low pressure pneumatic servicing trolley possibly Mk 1b, A few fitted with elec motor for use in hangars driving pneu tools spray guns etc Most were twin cyl petrol ; we got rid of our last one at RAF Leuchars in 1993- it was still in daily use and reliable better then the rubbish that replaced it !!

• 3 years later...

Saved this postwar (1960 ish) compressor trailer yesterday which will be very useful for parts in the restoration of my prewar one.    The roof assembly is almost the same plus the legs, jockey wheel & towhitch. 

DSC06675.jpg

Edited by Ian L

Ian, you must tell us the name and address of your 'local' scrap yard as you seem to find some interesting loot and far more interesting than my nearest scrappy that is 100% non-military.

BTW - Who is to say the starting handle broke when being used for its intended purpose; someone could have told the Corporal where he could stick it and it broke in the ensuing struggle while trying!

Edited by LarryH57

Low pressure pneumatic servicing trolley possibly Mk 1b, A few fitted with elec motor for use in hangars driving pneu tools spray guns etc Most were twin cyl petrol ; we got rid of our last one at RAF Leuchars in 1993- it was still in daily use and reliable better then the rubbish that replaced it !!

Hi Ted the second one I found is a MK1b but quite different from the AM Air ministry I found 1st of all can you give me any information, dates or original photos of either of them please ?

DSC06752.jpg

Hi Ted the second one I found is a MK1b but quite different from the AM Air ministry I found 1st of all can you give me any information, dates or original photos of either of them please ?

Afraid not Ian; The problem is since leaving service all manner of things will have been done by owners to try and keep them running. However what I must say is : They were "normally" easy to start BUT if the handle shout leap off its obviously much heavier than most !! ouch- make sure the pawl/peg that allows the handle to disengage is functioning correctly and that all guards are securely in place- there are many places that are ready to snatch hands clothing etc on them- don't mean to teach anyone to suck eggs but ----- . I think an e mail to Hendon might produce the ground equipment data book leaflets for you. There is a picture of one in Adkins book on page158 it is shown with the 3 stud hub/rim arrangement. They were prone to carbs overflowing whilst running- yes the mag is directly below the carb; We had one on fire in the GSE workshop- a 1917 Belfast truss hanger - just before we got rid of the last one. We were lucky a couple of lads got stuck straight into it with BCF extinquishers.

finally a blue was introduced for Ground Equipment in the 1950s It was BSC 169 Traffic Blue - unfortunately it was removed from the BS 381c in about 1980, the yellow was BSC 356 golden yellow and the IRR matt green was BSC 285. I have found some RAF documents which allowed certain tactical units to paint ground equipment in BSC 241 matt dark green prior to 285 being universally introduced. Sorry I can't be of more help and good luck.

TED

Afraid not Ian; The problem is since leaving service all manner of things will have been done by owners to try and keep them running. However what I must say is : They were "normally" easy to start BUT if the handle shout leap off its obviously much heavier than most !! ouch- make sure the pawl/peg that allows the handle to disengage is functioning correctly and that all guards are securely in place- there are many places that are ready to snatch hands clothing etc on them- don't mean to teach anyone to suck eggs but ----- . I think an e mail to Hendon might produce the ground equipment data book leaflets for you. There is a picture of one in Adkins book on page158 it is shown with the 3 stud hub/rim arrangement. They were prone to carbs overflowing whilst running- yes the mag is directly below the carb; We had one on fire in the GSE workshop- a 1917 Belfast truss hanger - just before we got rid of the last one. We were lucky a couple of lads got stuck straight into it with BCF extinquishers.

finally a blue was introduced for Ground Equipment in the 1950s It was BSC 169 Traffic Blue - unfortunately it was removed from the BS 381c in about 1980, the yellow was BSC 356 golden yellow and the IRR matt green was BSC 285. I have found some RAF documents which allowed certain tactical units to paint ground equipment in BSC 241 matt dark green prior to 285 being universally introduced. Sorry I can't be of more help and good luck.

TED

Cheers Ted I'll follow up your leads when I can, regards Ian

[ATTACH=CONFIG]123284[/ATTACH]

Cheers Clive I knew you would come to the rescue sooner or later, any more photos or info you can add to Teds bit ? and have you got anything on the much earlier AM Air Ministry compressor ?

regards Ian

Hi Clive I would be very gratefull for sight of the previous Marks; When I left the Service in 2004 no way did I ever imagine I would be corresponding on the subject of RAF ground equipment that against the enemies of age, no spares and user- abuse we managed to nurse along so as to be availible to the end user.

regards TED

Ian are those two I put up for Ted the same as posts #1 & #6 ?

Hi Clive the top photo (mk1) is the same as the blue one in post #6 & the bottom photo is the same as the (mk 1A/B) in post #4 so we are still looking for the very early trolley (AM) as in post #1