WW2 Air Ministry Airborne Compressor Trailer

Ian L

Firstly Clive many thanks for these , comparing I can now say It was only the MK 1b I encountered in my time; I note the drive train set up on the MK 1b was the reverse of the MK 1 & 1a . There was a version with solid wheels but I expect it was no longer in service when your edition of the AP was published.

Ian your post one example could be an electrified MK1 ? or its precedessor with the solid whee its possible wheel stud number and or rim types could be post RAF/RN service changes ?

Attached a rare colour shot of a camouflaged MK1 in service.

Clive any of these old items are of interest to me if you ever have the time to pull them out

regards TED

3216843183_d73e9bd0de_o.jpg

3216843183_d73e9bd0de_oc.jpg

Edited by ted angus
add pictures

Ian I have looked through the 81 trolleys in Section 4F but the only ones that bear any resemblance to #1 are the three I have posted up. Bear in mind this listing is circa 1960 & may post-date the use of #1.

Hi Clive I think we need to go back 10 years at least for the Trolley in post #1 ? the clue is AM & King's Crown would date it pre 53 ? & I'm sure I found somewhere it was 1936 ish ?

Firstly Clive many thanks for these , comparing I can now say It was only the MK 1b I encountered in my time; I note the drive train set up on the MK 1b was the reverse of the MK 1 & 1a . There was a version with solid wheels but I expect it was no longer in service when your edition of the AP was published.

Ian your post one example could be an electrified MK1 ? or its precedessor with the solid whee its possible wheel stud number and or rim types could be post RAF/RN service changes ?

Attached a rare colour shot of a camouflaged MK1 in service.

Clive any of these old items are of interest to me if you ever have the time to pull them out

regards TED

Hi Ted fantastic photos mate, I think that trolley is the same as the blue one in post #6 ? solid wheels with wheel arch's & a roof hatch at the rear, the early one in post #1 has a solid roof like the 1B & folding handles at the front like the mk1 10cwt GS trailers.

I'm still convinced its pre-war ? keep looking boys ;)

According to the scans from Clive, the Mk1A has JAP 55 engine, this is a twin cylinder and dates from 1940's, the Mk1B had a Petter PA2 which I am sure was introduced in early 1950's. This leaves the Mk1, which appears to be an air cooled flat twin, but not entirely sure what make. I am sure it is not a Petter PU8 as the spark plugs are in wrong position, this was a wartime engine (there may have been an earlier version?), other flat twins used my military, were Norman, Bradford, Douglas and Coventry Victor, but not sure if it is any of them. The owner of the restored one in blue paint might know.

According to the scans from Clive, the Mk1A has JAP 55 engine, this is a twin cylinder and dates from 1940's, the Mk1B had a Petter PA2 which I am sure was introduced in early 1950's. This leaves the Mk1, which appears to be an air cooled flat twin, but not entirely sure what make. I am sure it is not a Petter PU8 as the spark plugs are in wrong position, this was a wartime engine (there may have been an earlier version?), other flat twins used my military, were Norman, Bradford, Douglas and Coventry Victor, but not sure if it is any of them. The owner of the restored one in blue paint might know.

Hi Richard I've been doing a bit of homework & consensus is that it may of been fitted with the Petter PU8 ? which is period & had a military application.

https://wn.com/petter_pu8_flat_twin_stationary_engine

One of the Petter Universal group of engines produced from 1931 to 1945. This is an 8HP horizontal twin version. Large numbers were supplied to the War Department duriung the second world war where they were used to power generators and also landing craft. This example has a WD tag and number. There are two power shafts, one at at 900rpm and one at 1800rpm.

Anyway correct or not that's the motor I will be looking for if anybody knows of one for sale ?

Petter PU8 1.png

Hi Richard I've been doing a bit of homework & consensus is that it may of been fitted with the Petter PU8 ? which is period & had a military application.

https://wn.com/petter_pu8_flat_twin_stationary_engine

One of the Petter Universal group of engines produced from 1931 to 1945. This is an 8HP horizontal twin version. Large numbers were supplied to the War Department duriung the second world war where they were used to power generators and also landing craft. This example has a WD tag and number. There are two power shafts, one at at 900rpm and one at 1800rpm.

Anyway correct or not that's the motor I will be looking for if anybody knows of one for sale ?

Hi Ian,

I know the PU8 as we had them come through REME workshops for repairs. The cowling on one of the photos that Clive posted looked the same but I thought the spark plug was in a different position, maybe it was an earlier version. There are still a few turning up but as most that you see drove equipment via a flexy shaft they are of little use.

Richard

Hi Ian,

I know the PU8 as we had them come through REME workshops for repairs. The cowling on one of the photos that Clive posted looked the same but I thought the spark plug was in a different position, maybe it was an earlier version. There are still a few turning up but as most that you see drove equipment via a flexy shaft they are of little use.

Richard

Hi Richard thanks for the heads up on the drive shaft issue, I have just joined the Stationary engine forum so we will see what turns up.

Cheers Ian

• 3 months later...

Project has moved forward massively, this turned up on ebay a few weeks back & I won it for £220 including the correct tool kit and a massive amount of other 'stuff' that I don't need.

Engine is a WD unit & was rebuilt in 1945, lots of nice brass data plates.

PU 8 1.jpg

PU8 2.jpg

PU8 3.jpg

PU8 4.jpg

PU8 5.jpg

PU8 6.jpg

FYI...seen in the Malta Air Museum about a month ago. It is apparently fully operational.attachment.php?attachmentid=126219&stc=1attachment.php?attachmentid=126220&stc=1attachment.php?attachmentid=126221&stc=1

Its post war 1960s same as I one I've just broken :cry: only just come out of service I believe, very wrong if its in a WW2 museum.

DSC06675.jpg

DSC06676.jpg

DSC06677.jpg

Its post war 1960s same as I one I've just broken :cry: only just come out of service I believe, very wrong if its in a WW2 museum.

The museum is not only WWll but also covers post war so it is in keeping. It is a very good museum with many interesting exhibits.

The museum is not only WWll but also covers post war so it is in keeping. It is a very good museum with many interesting exhibits.

Hi Tony it does look a very nice restoration, it appears to be missing its data plates so if anybody has the museums contact details I will willingly send them my plates and other parts left over from breaking mine.

• Like 1

Somebody on the stationary engine forum sent me these photos of a restored prewar trailer like mine with the correct PU8 engine fitted.

It is located in the aircraft museum at Flixton near Bungay in Suffolk, I am yet to make contact with them & go to have a look at it.

RAF trailer restored in museum #1.jpg

RAF trailer restored in museum #2.jpg

• 2 months later...

I won 3 more engines in Northumberland 'blind' on ebay for £150 the lot a few weeks back & they were delivered by 'Shiply' yesterday so I had not seen them until then.

2 engines are only fit for spares & do they have 1960 rebuild plates on them but the 3rd engine is NOS & still all wrapped up in sticky cloth, even the plus caps have been pulled off & wrapped individually.

DSC07451.jpg

DSC07452.jpg

DSC07453.jpg

DSC07454.jpg

DSC07455.jpg

DSC07456.jpg

The toolbox padlock key was missing so I carefully removed the lock in-case it can be repaired at a later date, I was amazed when I opened the lid & found a complete tool kit & spares all sealed up & as good as new condition. What a find.

DSC07457.jpg

DSC07458.jpg

DSC07459.jpg

DSC07460.jpg

DSC07461.jpg

DSC07462.jpg

DSC07463.jpg

DSC07464.jpg

DSC07465.jpg

DSC07466.jpg

DSC07467.jpg

Excellent! A really nice surprise.

Yes indeed Adrian, as far as I can tell this is a original WW2 tool kit as the last PU8 engine built was F24200 in 1945 (started in 1936ish) & this engines number is F13??? the other 2 engines are incomplete and have 1960s rebuild plates but this engine has never been unwrapped.

• 2 years later...

Just got back from Bungay Air museum in Suffolk who have a compressor trailer identical to mine (except there's has an unbraked axle & 19" wheels) & on the information board is this copy of a photo of the compressor in use pumping airbags to lift a crashed Wellington bomber.

Question is ? what book did this photo come from as I would like a clearer photo rather that the photo I took through a glass screen ?

DSC00588.JPG

DSC00587.JPG

DSC00585.JPG

Edited by Ian L

On ‎8‎/‎11‎/‎2019 at 10:39 PM, Runflat said:

Perhaps, not much help.  Nevertheless these may be of interest.  IWM photos CNA 2259 and CNA 4662:

CNA2259.jpg

CNA4662.jpg

Hi Alan they are a massive amount of help mate, that's the prewar type that I'm restoring with PU8 petrol engine, 16" Easiclean wheels, braked axle & mudguards. spot on, any more ?

Making a fresh start on this project after over 2 years away from it due to poor health, the axle, brakes & wheels were totally rotted out & U/S due to it sitting in a scrap yard for 40+ years so I had to find a replacement.

What I found was a WW2 AFS pump trailer which although only had 3 stud wheels the size & style (easicleans) are the same & once the hub caps are fitted you wont know the difference,   the axle had to be made narrower by 12" so that was cut & welded with a solid steel strengthener bar fitted in the centre, the spring brackets & brake pivot also had to be cut off & welded in their new positions

DSC00647.JPG

DSC00648.JPG

DSC00643.JPG

DSC00644.JPG

DSC00645.JPG

DSC00646.JPG

DSC00649.JPG