London dukw sinks....

Hoseman

A finance company is trying to sell the defunct Liverpool dukws, apparently they are in a bit of a poor state and been vandalised while in storage

The one they used in Cammell Laird Shipyard for the boyancy teste is in ok condition as been in the yard since before trials! Ive got pics of it being lifted out of the dry dock after it failed boyancy tests, think its still parked up in the yard there!!!

I dont think these would be very viable projects tho, they have been significantly altered inside and out.

The only part I recognised inside was the dash and hull, everything else is missing. Major internal and external surgery has been performed for seats, safety and roadworthyness.

Try to dig pics out when I get a minute

just read the report, yes it does depend a lot on the companies doing as they have been told...sensible as long as it is done...just shows how tough it is to run a business, cutting safety corners is one of them...

interesting that the fire on the london dukw was caused by the installation of the foam...safety isnt always safe...

I would have thought the best way to keep a duck afloat if it were to try to sink would be with external buoyancy aids...and surely these days they can use non burning foam...

I actually think the duck is done for after this, it looks highly unlikely that it can carry enough foam to actually achieve the correct safety levels, only choice is to cut the fronts and rears off, weld in at least a foot of extra length and fill with buoyancy aids, non flamable, then go to town with the normal filing of the void spaces with safety bagged removable foam, so it does not soak up oil and diesel and become a fire hazard....with this work you have a working solution, or you just sell up buy a purpose made bus and get on with the tours, or you buy a proper boat...

The hulls for a lot of these were new build by company in the Mansfield area ,sothat they could pas the requied regs at the time .The old hulls sat in the yard as paterns so may still be there .This was about 6 years ago when i was servising there fourklift.

• 5 months later...

hi guy there is nothing wrong with the tour ducks they may be old but they can still earn their keep the London tour duck did not sink and for the two that sank in Liverpool I was there the first one sank because a fitter who drained the ducks each night did not tighten up one of the drains underneath and it came off I know because I was driving the sais duck at the time and managed to get all passengers of before it sank it was whacky 4 and the second duck sank because a tyre left in the dock by the red bull stunt team was picked up by the prop and ripped a large hole in the bottom that was whacky 1 I drove all four of them and did seven tours a day. they do break down a lot but they are fun to drive. regards ian