London dukw sinks....

Hoseman

Missus just heared on the news that one of the Thames` DUKW has sunk!

No further info, tried to google but just get their website and promo photos.

Apparently 30 people had to be rescued and caught fire causing passengers to go overboard!

Any further info??

fire will kill any ship. it is one of the most feared of all problems aboard....how the fire started is the mystery, if it has the diesel engine then to get diesel burning is a very hot exhaust and a fuel leak onto it I guess....seems to me its not the end of the world for the DUKW's at all...

If you follow that thought through its the end for anything old...especially when carrying people..and even more so when they are paying passengers....but it doesnt need to be....

this problem wasnt a dukw problem it was a failure of a modern part likely that maybe should have been spotted sooner...or maybe it was like many things a basic failure of a component that no one could foresee,,,

A few weeks ago I went on a DUKW ride in my village.

When unloading I looked at the propellor and was pleasantly surprised to see there were rods welded between the sides to avoid big debris being caught by the screw.

They also had a lot of lifevests in easy reach.

It was a bit cold and rainy but had fun.

He floated it and drove a small bit over the beach to get the whole amphibious experience.

A few weeks ago I went on a DUKW ride in my village.

When unloading I looked at the propellor and was pleasantly surprised to see there were rods welded between the sides to avoid big debris being caught by the screw.

They also had a lot of lifevests in easy reach.

It was a bit cold and rainy but had fun.

He floated it and drove a small bit over the beach to get the whole amphibious experience.

I was reading that on d-day loads of dukws sank in the heavier than expected waters...mind you dukw preferable to the DD shermans, 5 kms in heavy water no bilge pump, no spray sheet, no buoyancy aids other than the skirt and less than 5 km per hour...pure madness in the sea even in flat calm let alone a force 4 to 6.

.... I think the DUKW would be the best amphibian ever made, it is by far the most seaworthy.

Of course a GPA, Half-Safe, did the most miles in the ocean, but no way the DUKW isn't the most seaworthy vehicle.

Gordon

My partner and I have been on one of the yellow london duck tours, it was funny, informative and my partner really enjoyed it, yes the water was within easy reach of the windows but we payed and we took our chance, that was our choice and responsibility ,it's a shame but we were obviously lucky

My partner and I have been on one of the yellow london duck tours, it was funny, informative and my partner really enjoyed it, yes the water was within easy reach of the windows but we payed and we took our chance, that was our choice and responsibility ,it's a shame but we were obviously lucky

dont think its supposed to be luck that you survived

Around 1981 we took the ferry from Westminster Bridge to Greenwich. The commentary was entertaining - as we approached the then new Docklands development the tanoy announced:

"Ladies and gentlemen, if you look on the south bank you will see some of the docks and warehouses that has been bought by the ....... and what is being turned into luxury houses and flats. They have done more damage in 3 months, than what Jerry did during the whole of the war".

disaster can strike with everything.

yes, i would take my unofficially adopted daughters on such a tour.

they can swim, know of the dangers of hypothermia etc.

i did hear one say about my 88lw, yep.. roll the dice and live a bit.

she is 12 and adventurous. :-D

disaster can strike with everything.

yes, i would take my unofficially adopted daughters on such a tour.

they can swim, know of the dangers of hypothermia etc.

i did hear one say about my 88lw, yep.. roll the dice and live a bit.

she is 12 and adventurous. :-D

That is the attitude I like to hear, fall down, get up and carry on.........from one who very nearly drowned, together with my wife, when tipped into Windermere.

That is the attitude I like to hear, fall down, get up and carry on.........from one who very nearly drowned, together with my wife, when tipped into Windermere.

scary moments, I was planning on swimming the channel 6 years ago, but then had a serious motorcycle accident....I now struggle to swim 25 yards of the pool without stopping and getting my breath, if I were tipped into any heavy water I am afraid it would be rather more serious than it was....

I still forget this and go jetskiing without my life jacket, wet suit but no life jacket...daft...

Life jackets really do save lives...they should be accessible...

I think we should remember that these tour Ducks (yes I know how I have spelt it!!) bear very little resemblence to a wartime DUKW so direct comparisons cant be made

The only thing that may be original is the propellor!!

Having been to sea in a DUKW off Skegness in 1960's, the Normandy beaches in 1970's and Channel Islands in 1980's, I always felt safe as I was open to the elements. However the DUKWs which have started doing river tours have so much roofing and wet weather side screens that they have put me off going on them, as I would not like to be caught up in all this stuff if they capsized.

Not sure about the DUKW's used in London and Liverpool but I have just returned from the States and while in Boston, MA, I went on a Duck Tour.

The Ducks there are all new, built to the same size and appearance as the original WW2 DUKW's but have diesel engines, auto boxes, better seals, axles etc.

Apparently dependant on spec they range from $300,000 to 400,000 USD each new. :wow:

However, when put in context that each Duck can earn up to $5,000 a DAY......