post war sales catalogues

wally dugan

On these latest pages I noticed two Stanhay pneumatic hoists, 4x2 listed. Stanhay was the parent company of my first employer where I was apprenticed. They made some basic lifting machines, some based on Fordson Standard tractors and others on a chassis. Jib lifted up by a large air cylinder under it, and big compressor, no hoist rope. They supplied some of these to the RAF during the war for lifting bombs. When I was there they still used two of the machines in the factory, one powered by a Perkins 4 cyl diesel and the other by a Turner V-4 diesel as I recall.

Edited by Richard Farrant

I am still hunting buses & coaches sold off after the end of WWII since impressed vehicles were not returned to their original operators but appear to have been sold off presumably via the auctions. Finding information on this seems almost impossible.

Bill

You might find the attached of interest. It should be remembered that these were not necessarily impressed by the military, they could just as easily have been used by civilian A.R.P. organisations during the war.

I would welcome any information you could find on their original owners.

John

Bus and Coach at auction.doc

• 1 month later...

Wally

you were good enough to find my jeep on an auction list, if you have the time sometime I have found another jeep owner with a jeep that also went to auction at same time. It was s/o 1-4-59 also through ruddington.

12YJ09 is it possible to find out which day and what the batch made. thankyou in advance

Gerry

• 4 months later...
Now I can see the listings but I am not sure why! Great to see these documents.

I am still hunting buses & coaches sold off after the end of WWII since impressed vehicles were not returned to their original operators but appear to have been sold off presumably via the auctions. Finding information on this seems almost impossible.

The registrations give clues. GXD/GLU were mostly Bedford OWBs but included others re-registered. HYV were mostly reregistered frequently having a WD identity as well. GXA/GXN/GXO were re registered for the NFS. The Middlesex O registrations were all ex military and included WD vehicles with military first owners. Dodges and Fordsons. GLK had some Chevrolets for the Pool Board. Most of the non-London regs are original.

• 4 months later...

RICHARD the use of the park serial  numbers seems to have started in the late 1920s and continued to appear until the MOS/ MOD stopped holding  these sales them selves the numbers refer to a file for the vehicle this was the  paper trail  and contained other information  details such as chassis number last holding unit and so forth.

The use of showing details such as engine number chassis number  registration number  stopped in around 1920s and only the registration number appeared in the  later catalogues after this

Edited by wally dugan
spelling

• 3 months later...
  • 7 months later...
  • 6 months later...
On 10/16/2018 at 4:03 AM, welbike said:

Hi all, I got another bunch of sales catalogs in, mostly from the 60's and 70's will go through them this winter, and see what interesting stuff there may be.

Cheers,

Lex

IMG_4181.jpg

Did this catalogue have any small arms or related equipment that was being sold off?

Also has anyone seen a catalogue for items to be disposed of from Ordnance Depot, Weedon in Becks?

Regards

AlanD

Sydney

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hello all very interesting information your all supplying, just out of interest dose anybody have any information about sales at Ruddington 17th June 1983 ? Lot 1925 sale 179. Militant 26BR34. In parks 2 and 3. Any information would be great 

Thank you 

34 minutes ago, Truck257 said:

Hello all very interesting information your all supplying, just out of interest dose anybody have any information about sales at Ruddington 17th June 1983 ? Lot 1925 sale 179. Militant 26BR34. In parks 2 and 3. Any information would be great 

Thank you 

Sold for £660, the two before it 25BR75 & 33BM80 sold for £640 & £780 respectively

22 minutes ago, fv1609 said:

Sold for £660, the two before it 25BR75 & 33BM80 sold for £640 & £780 respectively

Waw thank you that’s great can you remember the truck itself ? Was it a standard green LWB 6x4 Militant ?