post war sales catalogues

wally dugan

When l found the first LINN CATRUK I was pleased to find a second one came as a surprise though it's description is different to the first lot number1629 it made £30 pounds in fair condition The second page is for TED and DUSTY and those

who like FIRE engines/tenders SALE JUNE 1948

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Thanks Wally, I had come to the same conclusion, only combinations, but when were they sold then? The RAF used thousands of them! the spares for them were not sold from the RAF till the late 80's!

But they were for sure 500cc bikes, and there were a couple 750cc bikes too, but not many, I have one of them.

Also the 1200cc ones, all with sidecar, so where the 600cc came from????

Cheers,

Lex

LEX wanted to post this sooner but problems with the scanner this a typical entry for a INDIAN motorcycle as you can see

it displays a civilian registration number as a number of them do Have you any figures of how many the british government bought some may have been sold overseas after the war l only collect the sales catalogues for sales held in the UK

REGARDS WALLY

Rik, I assume it's the same as the above:

"this sale took place in june 1948" Only glanced at the Nortons, will have to see if the combinations on the prev. pages were B4's or not?? all listed as 500cc though, but more mistakes have been made with the capacity before!

Cheers,

Lex

Lex, the third item on this latest page, listed as Norton Combination, 500cc was probably indeed a 16H - (RAF) 167490 - Here's a picture of RAF 167352 - a lateish war 18"-wheeled 16H passenger outfit. The serial number is close enough to imply that there may have been a block of numbers issued....but we can't link them to contracts at the moment.

RAF167352_zps2ce7baf8.jpg

The registration number (G)UU allocated to the Indian was a Central London Series issued August 1942-on. Would this have been when new or indicate a transfer from a military to a civilian agency ?

Edited by 79x100

LEX l will have to take that book and read it again while on holiday

79x100

the sale was at BYRAM PARK yorkshire on Wednesday the 8th of april1948 there were 178 nortons for sale in very

good condition and low mileage sold for between 50 and 70 pounds each

REGARDS WALLY

Thanks, Wally. I'll take ten of 'em ! I really do appreciate you posting these pages.

These are most interesting. The April 1948 date seems to have meant that none of the three from Norton contract C5109 were retained long enough to appear in the post-war 'Key-Cards' This is perhaps logical as they are likely to have been struck off some time prior to the sale. If only they'd also included the frame number in the catalogues...

Cheers,

Rich

it has been said that there are mistakes in sales catalogues on the first page you can see that the auctioneer has crossed out BSA and inserted NORTON on the second page a royal navy NORTON not many of these in the catalogues so nice to see this THESE sales were held in 1949 there is evidence that vehicles as late as the 1950s still went in to the sale with there wartime census numbers still displayed

wel2.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

this is the same sale the pages are from two catalogues both the auctioneers one as usual with the sale price the other showing dates this now seems to be appearing more often on vehicles with civilian registration numbers after 1948

this sale was in early 1949

san1.jpg

san2.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

This is for welbike l can not explain why the attachments have been removed other than our computers where replaced

about that time so my apologizes

as is known my interests are all things british military vehicles and there histories the other day l went to see a family that

were regular buyers in the 1940s of ex government vehicles and was given the data plates from some they had owned one is the full set from a 1942 willys jeep vehicle model W-LU 440-M-PERS order number CDLV-242 the plates are undamaged

and have the nice patina that only comes with age and not ruined by cleaning with brasso

welbike.jpg

Thanks a lot Wally!!! first time I see Welbikes listed in the sales cat's!! they were supposed not to be sold in the UK, was this the same sale as above?

Any pictures of the dataplates of the Jeep? am sure other readers will want to see aswell.

Cheers,

Lex

First time I have seen Welbikes listed in the sales cat's!! they were supposed not to be sold in the UK

Lex

In March 1946 in the Commons Mr. Attewell asked the Minister of Supply and of Aircraft Production if it is proposed to allow the sale in this country of a proportion of surplus Army stock of lightweight folding motor cycles, known as Welbike, to individuals desiring to purchase for their own use.

Mr. Wilmot all surpluses so far declared have been disposed of to an export firm for re-sale to America. This transaction was particularly welcome in view of the urgent need for dollars. These machines could not in any case have been used on the roads in this country without considerable conversion to comply with the requirements of the Road Traffic Act, 1930.

I wonder what circumstances had changed that made it possible to auction Welbikes off to the public by December 1947?

Dusty

Thanks Wally, I keep meaning to ask, but what sort of scanner do you use? no offence, but it comes out terrible, maybe the settings can be twitched a little?? don't get me wrong here, I love the info!!.

Dusty, that's interesting info, where did you get it from?

Have a scan here, that speaks for itself, 8000 is offcourse twice as much as they ever made, but still....

585_-_kopie1.jpg

Cheers,

Lex

Edited by welbike

LEX the sale was held on the 8th of December 1947 at BYRAM PARK Yorkshire

hope this works here are the data plates from the jeep l have not cleaned them as l do not know do l want to loose

72 years of patina

REGARDS WALLY

The plate with the serial numbers is from a Canadian contract Willys Jeep quite a bit different in style to the usual plate