post war sales catalogues

wally dugan

Lex, you need to click twice with the pointy finger and then you get the plus sign in a magnifying glass and can make it bigger again. Wally's scans are quite readable then.

Your large scan made my browser freeze !

Rick, yes I know, but those red and blue lines, very strange.

My scan isn't that big is it??

Thanks Dusty, it figures, but there were several Welbikes left behind in the UK, my first one came from there, found in an old air raid shelter was the story, bought it for 80 pounds at Beaulieu, lot of money! (in 1984)

Cheers,

Lex

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Thanks for posting those, Wally. The Nortons must have been among the last to be disposed of. All five, 97 YB 52, 88 YB 46, 80 YB 97, 04 ZB 53 and 96 YB 91 are marked "Disposal MKH/1/S/399 4.12.58" on the 'Key Cards' 80 YB 97 had been in service since 1939, although had been rebuilt prior to 1948.

• 2 weeks later...
Thanks for showing us these Wally. These old sales catalogues are as rare as hen's teeth. Is the whole folder full of sales catalogues? I would love to see more if possible.

Dusty

New to Forum and am doing a local history project on the Byram Estate. The post indicates that the catalogues or some pages could be seen. How?

Also of interest because my wife's granddad was a security guard on the estate during the war. Prior to vehicles it was also an ammunition dump.

• 3 weeks later...

Selling in guineas, I notice, and a Foden 10 ton 6x4 making an extraordinary 2600 Gns (£2730). That's nearly £100,000 based on RPI or £242,000 based on relative earnings! Must be an error noting it down, surely?

Would a TSM Coach be a Tilling Stevens?

Selling in guineas, I notice, and a Foden 10 ton 6x4 making an extraordinary 2600 Gns (£2730). That's nearly £100,000 based on RPI or £242,000 based on relative earnings! Must be an error noting it down, surely?

I have seen some dealer adverts for these Fodens and as Wally says, they were very sought after as there was a shortage of heavy lorries after the war, with a lot going for export to get money into the country. All existing road transport was worn out and mostly pre-1940. I have noticed these prices on previous auction catalogues that Wally has posted, there would have been a lot of bidding for them, when you look at what else there was on offer, there was little to compare.

SEAN the prices are correct the local press published the figures and they appear in the accounts kept by the government accountant l have the accounts for all of these sales and FODENs made some of the highest prices been nearly new and much in demand

I have seen some dealer adverts for these Fodens and as Wally says, they were very sought after as there was a shortage of heavy lorries after the war, with a lot going for export to get money into the country. All existing road transport was worn out and mostly pre-1940. I have noticed these prices on previous auction catalogues that Wally has posted, there would have been a lot of bidding for them, when you look at what else there was on offer, there was little to compare.

Ah. so there's independent confirmation, that's interesting to know. I guessed they must be new or nearly new and of course the post-war situation justified demand, but even so that amount of money seemed disproportionately high. It is an astronomical price - what, 2 to 4 or 8 times modern equivalent? Some people obviously had very deep pockets!

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Seasons greetings Wally-

If Caterpillar is the manufacturer then it could be the D8s used on the Normandy beaches by the RE Inland Waterway Cos in conjunction with the Rhino Ferries , or by the Beach Rcy sections of REME, The RN also had some at Normandy with the Landing Craft repair units.

If they are using Caterpillar to descibe a Tracked vehicle they could be BARVs

TED

well first thank you TED DEGSY and RICHARD the word CATERPILLAR in this case has been used in its Descriptive form

the first page is from the catalogues sent out to the public the second page is from the auctioneers own copy he has added

in ink the words Studebaker 10 cwt amphibian tracked vehicle A comment on the second page the dark shading this is from the paste / glue used to stick the pages in to his account book and it showing through though it is not visible to the naked eye