Wolf wiper repair?

My Wolf wiper motor now wants to work continuously. I have the tested voltages at the connector & the conclusion is that the 'parking' switch is defective. Unfortunately it is sealed up in the metal box that has a soldered on lid. Tapping it suggests that it is filled with epoxy resin or similar.

Dsc06053a_zps52892b9c.jpg

Has anyone managed to effect a cure by dissecting the box? I assume it is the larger box? Very annoying that there is a failure of the switch in an otherwise working item. These motors are very rare & expensive I know of one for sale for £500 although it doesn't really look like mine.

Wolfwiper2_zpsb73ecb32.jpg

Then I had an idea :idea:

I simply cut the green feed to pin 4. Now when I turn the wiper switch stalk to 'off' then it stops! I have to judge the switch off point just as the wipers are going down. But to save £500 I think I can put up with that.

Only other draw back is that pressing the screen wash button turns on the wiper & won't stop until I switch the stalk to an 'on' position & then to 'off'. There seems more of a delay with this but I can learn.

But has anyone successfully repaired the switch inside the sealed box though?

Silly question but can't you just fit a standard landrover wiper motor? It looks like from the the pic that there are a pair of braided wires, which could be for radio suppression? All the standard landrover motors I have changed (too many for my liking! Especially if you have to change the cable, wosre still if changing the wheel boxes on a Transit engined 110 with the full dash!) Anyway back to wiper motors, all the ones I've changed they just have one connection plug, undo the mounting bracket. Pull the motor to see the other side and there is a plate held by about half a dozen if that bolts. In there you can disconnect the cable linkage and as far as I can remember the park switch is in there on the gear wheel.

Hope this makes sense and is of help.

Dougy

• 2 years later...
Dougy it is 24v. Even FFR Defenders are 12v automotively. I have ordered a normal limit switch which I gather will solve it.

Clive,

Did you manage to successfully instal a new limit switch, only I have the same issue on my Wolf. Bizarrely my wipers self park if I bring the vehicle to a halt!

Vince