New recruit - Looking for GMC Jimmy Info?

twotrombones

Hello all - I'm a new owner of a 1941 GMC Jimmy truck and keen to learn...

Looks like this group is a real knowledge base and look forward to interacting with all.

I'm a trombone player in a 18 Pice Big Band - ECHO 42 and we play for a lot of 1940's themed weekends and events all over the UK. When we are on a 40's gig - we become a RAF Wing Command Band of the period dressed and sounding as such. So this new truck will be come part of our 40's show dressing if an outdoor event.

SO Does anyone have any information on GMC truck being used on loan to the RCAF or RAF in wartime england?

any help or pointers would be most welcome.

cheers

Paul

I only know that the British Army had a batch of early GMC 6 x 4s (civilian bonnet/mudguards) originally destined for France but which were diverted when France fell.

Certainly the USAAF received plenty of British vehicles to support their early airfield operations until sufficient U.S. kit became available, but I have no information on possible supplies the other way.

Either way, you couldn't get a better truck to convey all those 40's vibes around :-D

Although I've never heard of any GMC's being used by the RAF I wouldn't be at all surprised to hear that an RAF band had been transported to a Yank dance in a jimmy, they certainly used them as taxi's for the local females. :-D

• 2 months later...

many thanks - that's what we guessed

;)

Although I've never heard of any GMC's being used by the RAF I wouldn't be at all surprised to hear that an RAF band had been transported to a Yank dance in a jimmy, they certainly used them as taxi's for the local females. :-D

I only know that the British Army had a batch of early GMC 6 x 4s (civilian bonnet/mudguards) originally destined for France but which were diverted when France fell.

Certainly the USAAF received plenty of British vehicles to support their early airfield operations until sufficient U.S. kit became available, but I have no information on possible supplies the other way.

Either way, you couldn't get a better truck to convey all those 40's vibes around :-D

sorry for delay as just working out how these threads work

but thanks...