Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: On milweb

Default Re: On milweb

wheels are the easy bit, I had 42 at one point ! the engines, gearboxes and rads are also easy to find but the rest of it is not so easy. I still like the one for sale in oz, I don't think the price is too far off either not when you consider a carrier is worth 35k when restored
    Eddy8men AKA Rick Wedlock
    ----------------------------------------------------

1941 mk 1* universal carrier
    194? mk 4 churchill AVRE
    1944 mk 6 Cromwell

Quote Originally Posted by eddy8men View Post
    wheels are the easy bit, I had 42 at one point ! the engines, gearboxes and rads are also easy to find but the rest of it is not so easy. I still like the one for sale in oz, I don't think the price is too far off either not when you consider a carrier is worth 35k when restored
    I'm on the same thinking as you mate, it's the small fixings n fittings that take the time, armour, engine and running gear are all out there to be found. I will give him a go and see where I get, He who dares Rodney, he who dares!!
    Man with a hose..............Hoseman
    BETTER TO BURN OUT THAN FADE AWAY.

go for it i would if new house and baby wasnt taking priority at the moment ,
    hotchkiss jeep
    mvt member
    imps member

I saw it earlier this summer, and was very tempted by it.
    It didnt look to bad and rusty as other I have seen.
    But I was there to look at another vehicle.
    1941 Chevrolet, Cab 12, Gun Tractor, for sale
    1943 Bedford QLC in bits http://hmvf.co.uk/forumvb/showthread...92-Bedford-QLC
    1943 Chevrolet, Cab 13, C30 Wireless 2, chassis and cab only, for sale
    1944 Ariel W/NG
    1944 Scammell Pioneer SV/2S (x 2)
    1945 Thornycroft Amazon with Coles Crane Mk VII
    1955 Austin Champ (04BF45)
    Helped out with various museum restorations: Humber Mk IV AC and Sd.Kfz. 251 Ausf D eg.

I didn't see a steering x shaft anywhere in the pics and without that you are buggared
    Eddy8men AKA Rick Wedlock
    ----------------------------------------------------

1941 mk 1* universal carrier
    194? mk 4 churchill AVRE
    1944 mk 6 Cromwell

I've got a couple of spare cross shafts. It's ALL about the small bits, no cam or rollers, where you going to get a set? Money spent up front to buy the most complete vehicle possible will save more money in the long run. I've got two, one very complete that has been quick and a breeze to do. The other was a stripped hull and its taken about the same money total to do both but I'm still missing lots of the trinkets for the stripped one and its taken three times as long.

You also need to think if you want 100% carrier parts or is "just looks about right" going to be OK? There's a big price difference!! When was the last time you saw carrier bits for sale on here, ebay etc etc. they're not a jeep! Last time a bunch went on ebay the went mental

Ben

I've just had a better look at the photos. The RH track guard is missing (small job) the "inspection hole" behind the front RH idler wheel is a nice addition. I couldn't understand to start with why the armour was all there but there were no rivets, it looks like someone has burnt all the rivets out to remove the upper steel angle frame from the inside, then tack welded the armour together.

It's a good start point for anyone wanting a carrier , but is missing heaps of stuff . But as has been proven with recent carrier sales they are fetching the prices asked . You can't get a better investment than WW2 tracked armour .

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information