Identify Truck with Searchlight

Berisford

1937 all UK military vehicles displayed a county council civvy reg number, this is a R.E. TA unit. The Army reg is on the door in small letters. It looks like a Thornycroft ZS/TC4 a purpose built Searchlight truck with a generator under the bonnet in front of the engine.

TED

Edited by ted angus

Many thanks for the rapid reply to my request Ted. Thornycroft eh, so obvious to see when you know! A good looking truck for its year. So were the regular registration plates used through he war years?

Edited by Berisford
Spelling

YOUR question about civillian type registration numbers this stopped been used on military vehicles after the fall of france

and was replaced by a system refered to as cenus numbers all vehicle numbers would start with a prefix letter this would tell you what the vehicle was IE A was a ambulance Z trucks under 1 ton and so on This would be followed a series of

numbers example Z 123456 the RAF and NAVY adopted there own system l hope this helps abit to understand

YOUR question about civillian type registration numbers this stopped been used on military vehicles after the fall of france

and was replaced by a system refered to as cenus numbers all vehicle numbers would start with a prefix letter this would tell you what the vehicle was IE A was a ambulance Z trucks under 1 ton and so on This would be followed a series of

numbers example Z 123456 the RAF and NAVY adopted there own system l hope this helps abit to understand

Just to add a bit to Wally's In the 1930s both CC reg and census numbers ran together, whilst vehicles displayed their CC reg number in the prescribed manner they frequently also carried their census number. There seems to have been a prescribed layout for the census number with the prefix letter above the numerals .

TED

12.jpg

Edited by ted angus

Just to add a bit to Wally's In the 1930s both CC reg and census numbers ran together, whilst vehicles displayed their CC reg number in the prescribed manner they frequently also carried their census number. There seems to have been a prescribed layout for the census number with the prefix letter above the numerals .

TED

Am I seeing things, or does the blurb for the Humber Snipe say 9 feet 5 inch ground clearance?

• 1 year later...

they are 400 indep sl btry 51 Northamptonshire reg RA ta, somewhere in Italy in 1943, I'd love to know what the vehicle markings ment, i know 400 battery where sent to north africa in january 43 with the 30 surrey sl reg, then after being in algers and tunisia they whent to italy later in 43 but not sure who with? as searchlight seemed to be in short supply and seem to have been split up? (my dads in the top pic 3rd from left sitting on the step in vest).

• 3 years later...
  • 3 years later...