Ryam sugar mill Baldwins

We have seen a lot of replica WD Baldwin makers plates for sale recently (usual price about £65). I thought it would be interesting to show a pair of Baldwins which have just been imported in to the UK from the Ryam Sugar Mill in India. Both will be restored but I don't think it is going to happen quickly:

DSCN3324_zps2bea0ed4.jpg

DSCN3353_zpsf2819833.jpg

Ryamsugarmill_zps8fd33188.jpg

DSCN3364_zpsd1856940.jpg

DSCN3329_zps064a4301.jpg

DSCN3326_zps241351bd.jpg

DSCN3325_zpsa8acbef6.jpg

This one has also come back, but I cant remember the make. Steve will remind me:

DSCN3363_zps9662d287.jpg

At the same private collection is this WW1 WD inspection car:

DSCN3343_zps49cfada8.jpg

DSCN3346_zps11737fc2.jpg

The 4-wheeler looks like a PORTER, but I cannot find a photo of this type in any of my WW1 rail book collection. Edit: Aha - it may not be a WD engine then!!

Those Baldwins must have been worked pretty hard - it is surprising that they have been so little altered appearance-wise. The Hunslet equivalent is a much more aesthetically pleasing design!

Edited by N.O.S.

The 4-wheeler looks like a PORTER, but I cannot find a photo of this type in any of my WW1 rail book collection. Edit: Aha - it may not be a WD engine then!!

Those Baldwins must have been worked pretty hard - it is surprising that they have been so little altered appearance-wise. The Hunslet equivalent is a much more aesthetically pleasing design!

4-6-0 was a typical mid to late 19th century design from the US....

these are the wheel configurations used by most designs of the times for `prairie work`...that is to say hauling passangers and freight across the west...

reliable, sturdy and easy to build & maintain....forget the winchester and colt....these are the real tools that won the west...

the indiginous tribes knew it as well....which is why they were attacked at every opportunity..

several versions were made....the `long stack`....coal burners....and of course the famous `diamond stack`....such as those seen in many a western....these were the woodburners.....