Austin Champ parts catalogue

simondema

Question

Hi all

I was fortunate enough to purchase yesterday a veritable treasure trove of Champ parts ranging from petrol filters to the tiniest grommets and everything in between.

They are still all packed in their original greased paper and in their original tiny boxes, carefully stapled and still retaining their 1950's smell.

I have been trying to work out how to check the parts number on my Champ illustrated spare parts lists (WO CODE 13577 A.C.A F.V.M.E 0094) as it appears what is written on the boxes does not match the catalogue. As an example on one of the boxes it states:

FV 15653

2F.5153

BRACKET & BUSH

P P QTY 1

What the hell does all that mean, and how does it apply to the catalogue, if indeed it does???

Thanks

Simon

Champ 1624

image.jpg

3 answers to this question

Hi all

I was fortunate enough to purchase yesterday a veritable treasure trove of Champ parts ranging from petrol filters to the tiniest grommets and everything in between.

They are still all packed in their original greased paper and in their original tiny boxes, carefully stapled and still retaining their 1950's smell.

I have been trying to work out how to check the parts number on my Champ illustrated spare parts lists (WO CODE 13577 A.C.A F.V.M.E 0094) as it appears what is written on the boxes does not match the catalogue. As an example on one of the boxes it states:

FV 15653

2F.5153

BRACKET & BUSH

P P QTY 1

What the hell does all that mean, and how does it apply to the catalogue, if indeed it does???

Thanks

Simon

Champ 1624

Hi Simon,

I do not have a Champ parts book here, but knowing the British books well, there should be an index of FV numbers in it. The FV number is in effect, the drawing number and was used in early parts lists for parts specific to that vehicle and proprietary parts were given their makers number. Not sure if the Champ part numbers were later codified in to NSN (NATO stock numbers). That explains the first line, second line is I am sure the Austin Motor Co. part number, then description and P P mean packed and preserved with a quantity of 1 in the package.

Your parts book could be an Australian one and it will be interesting to see how the parts are listed, could you scan a page so we can see what numbers they list?

regards, Richard

Simon (and Richard),

The Spare Parts List is the British War Office variety and like the Champ, it is very difficult to follow !

I'll see if I can walk you through it using the FV 15653 Bracket and Bush as an example.

Firstly, look at the Numerical Index to catalogue Numbers in the rear of the book and you'll notice that the numbers themselves are in order - if you ignore the letter prefixes eg RE, FV, GB, CU and whatever else.

Here on Page ix, is the part # FV 15653, about a third of the way down in the second last (RH) column. The last column (on the right of the part #), shows the actual listing in the Parts List book, which in this case is G2.

Champsparepartslist_0002_zps4c4d4aca.jpg

So we head off to Page G2 and here's where it gets confusing - as if you're not already !

There are two pages marked G2. One is the actual listing of parts -

Champsparepartslist_0001_zps1740f0e3.jpg

... and the other is a Plate diagram.

So first we go to the parts list page marked G2 and scroll down the "Catalogue Number" column (the second one) till we come to the part # in this case FV 15653. In the first column marked "Item Number", it is #52. The description is "Bracket control lever with bush".

From here we move laterally to the "Plate Reference" column and find the numbers 1-5. Directly above these numbers is one in bold type - in this case G3.

The G3 figure is the plate diagram number and the 1-5 are the actual numbers on the plate diagram.

Champsparepartslist_0003_zpsd9476aa9.jpg

Easy isn't it !

BTW, that's a nice looking steering wheel !

Jack

Brilliant!

Thanks Jack, I will go back and look over the manual. I have so many tiny boxes, grease paper-wrapped items and other loose items it's hard to know where to start from.

I have a lot of work in front of me.

The steering wheel had many cracks in it and had rusted rods poking through the plastic (Bakelite?). I have treated the rusted parts with anti-rust and then used a art epoxy putty I use to restore shark jaws (that's another hobby) which hardens like concrete and can be painted over. It's amazing.

Regards

Simon