BSA Folding Paratroopers Bicycle

Just picked this up today.

Have been after this one for several months and finally got hold of it.

No it wasn't a bargain but i do like it.

Needs a lot of work, a lot has been replaced but was a practical local find and what is left isnt in too bad a condition.

Handlebars are the main thing that are wrong as the rest i can work around. Pedals, seat, brakes, sprocket are wrong. Not sure about the wheels. I think the front wheel may be wrong as it is made by "Phillips" which i havnt headrd from beeing on any others. Havent had time to look at the rest in detail.

A few photos below.

If anyone has or knows where i can get parts i would really appreciate it.

DSC07567_zpse34f30dd.jpg

DSC07572_zpscda6012e.jpg

DSC07576_zps0a0a8822.jpg

Hi Martyn,

I completely stripped and restored my folding BSA (No. R40884) a couple of years ago. I took several photos of restoration if you need any detailed shots....just let me know.

Parts do appear on Ebay, but as you say the prices are high. Last year someone seemed to be breaking bikes and selling the parts via ebay as that way they made more!

One tip: I'd recommend not trying to spraypaint the frame, as very difficult to avoid runs. I brush painted mine with high quality brush and three tins of Humbrol paint from local model shop!

Hi Martyn,

I completely stripped and restored my folding BSA (No. R40884) a couple of years ago. I took several photos of restoration if you need any detailed shots....just let me know.

Parts do appear on Ebay, but as you say the prices are high. Last year someone seemed to be breaking bikes and selling the parts via ebay as that way they made more!

One tip: I'd recommend not trying to spraypaint the frame, as very difficult to avoid runs. I brush painted mine with high quality brush and three tins of Humbrol paint from local model shop!

Many thanks for the advice.

I'll have to just keep an eye out on ebay but i can start with what i've got.

In guessing they were either Service Brown or OD. What colour did you use?

Many thanks for the advice.

I'll have to just keep an eye out on ebay but i can start with what i've got.

In guessing they were either Service Brown or OD. What colour did you use?

check inside of frame were the steering bearings are mounted , usually you will find the correct colour there , mine had this ( like a lot of ammoboxes have , 25 pr etc) green on it , some are Brown .

are they common ? what kind of money do they go for?

( Martyn: don't want to highjack your thread, but you might want to get a carrier for your BSA too!)

I have seen some very good repro ones at shows for around £50. This one is war date stamped onto metal frame and cost a bit more. In use by Commandos....

BSA_airborne_Everest_Carrier_RM_1944_empty.jpg

BSA_airborne_Everest_Carrier_RM_1944_full.jpg

check inside of frame were the steering bearings are mounted , usually you will find the correct colour there , mine had this ( like a lot of ammoboxes have , 25 pr etc) green on it , some are Brown .

Yes Maurice, inisde the headstock was where I found some original olive green paint, so mine one kept that shade as far as possible.

( Martyn: don't want to highjack your thread, but you might want to get a carrier for your BSA too!)

I don't mind :-D , it s interesting to hear about other peoples and about the accessories. I think the carrier is low on my priorities at the moment, as you could probably guess the handlebars, wheels, brakes etc are more of a priority :-D .

But interesting to know the carriers are still available, will have to keep an eye out at some shows this year.

I think the company that supply repro everest carriers is Battledress and Bayonet,I have a feeling they may do other parts too,also google colin mac gregor stevens ,he has a website with some useful info including links to parts suppliers.When I needed handlebars for one of mine I found a close match on an old civvy bike in the local council tip

I think the company that supply repro everest carriers is Battledress and Bayonet,I have a feeling they may do other parts too,also google colin mac gregor stevens ,he has a website with some useful info including links to parts suppliers.When I needed handlebars for one of mine I found a close match on an old civvy bike in the local council tip

Thanks for the info. I checked out Battledress and Bayonet but it seems they mainly have the finer detail products like handlebar grips and transfers.

The Colin MacGregor Stevens site is very good! Unfortunately all the pages work except for his "Parts" page which would have been very useful :D

As you say i may be able to make do with some vintage bike hanlebars and fabricate a T bolt.

Wheels seem to be my big problem at the moment. I dont fancy buying new tyres and tubes as i think the current wheels are too narrow. Would rather just buy tyres and tubes for the proper ones.

I had one in the early fifties, it was brown and had not been repainted. My first MV but I was teased unmercifully by other kids who thought it wasn't a 'proper' bike, in those days they were almost worthless.

Thanks for all the advice so far!

Slowly coming apart, havn't been able to get the headstock apart as of yet as it requires a BSA tool to undo.

My main concern at the moment is wheels. I do not think the ones i have are originals. Does anyone know if they had standard BSA wheels? Or at least what size they are.

DSC07592_zps1f21e7a4.jpg

Thanks for all the advice so far!

Slowly coming apart, havn't been able to get the headstock apart as of yet as it requires a BSA tool to undo.

My main concern at the moment is wheels. I do not think the ones i have are originals. Does anyone know if they had standard BSA wheels? Or at least what size they are.

Hi Martin,

wheel/tyre size is 26 x 1 3/8, the rims were Dunlop and the hubs are BSA manufacture.

Regards

Gary

Hi Martin,

wheel/tyre size is 26 x 1 3/8, the rims were Dunlop and the hubs are BSA manufacture.

Regards

Gary

Thanks for the info.

The ones I have at the moment are 26 x 1 1/4.

I suppose at least they are similar to get by with for now