Artillery aiming device

Hi all, does anyone have any detail pictures or plans for the artillery aiming device that hold either a Bren or Enfield rifle on the barrel for drill purposes. How was it operated? We would like to make a replica for our 6pdr. One like this:

file0055.jpg

Probably a modification to safe costs on ammo. one round of .303 much cheaper as 6 pounder shell

Exactly thats the purpose. Just wondering if there are any more pictures. Has the devise survived in any museum? I can see the trigger was string operated but what was on the other end?

• 6 years later...
39 minutes ago, Adrian Barrell said:

Sub calibre normally refers to a smaller calibre gun fitted inside the chamber and bore of the larger piece, such as the link Tim posted which puts a 6 pdr barrel inside a 9.2 Howitzer.

The 75mm Pack Howitzer sub-caliber is a 37mm Gun barrel mounted on top of the 75mm Pack Howitzer barrel... I will find the pics... I assumed the link I posted would be the same arrangement.

• 1 month later...

I think they were special spotting rifles with a cartridge that matched the trajectory of the BAT. The one I was offered was a standard Browning M2 HB but was marked as LxxxAx and had a AC style backplate, no sights and a solenoid trigger. I really wish I’d bought it but I purchased a standard US GI M2HB instead.

just done a search and it looks like they were the L6 and L21 ranging guns.

18 hours ago, Tarland said:

The "BAT" series of post war recoiless anti tank guns used .5 cal spotting "guns"

These were the M8C & used a .50" SHORT round. I know, I worked on a LOT of them! Also have a Magazine for one of these.

WWA sold a handful a few years back, & they had no Mags as I recall?