brakes!

paul connor

Question

My master cylinder has been repair twice now, as it leaks at the end where the push rod goes in.

It finally gave up the ghost and when the pedel was down it would not return!

So alas i have replaced it, now it leaks from the filler at the top, where the header tank goes in, no big deal just needs cleaning and looking at.

But my brake pedal still does not return? am i stupid and when this is bled will work fine? is it just air in the system? or does it sound like my hydrovac is shot?

hmm, i like to ask before i carry on you see...

any ideas? i hate drums systems!

3 answers to this question

Paul have you checked that the brake pedal return spring is still in place? It is a biggish spring about 5 inches long at the end of the shaft as it goes to the linkage to the brake pedal. Although there is a return spring in the master cylinder it is only to return the cup, an external spring is required to return the pedal linkage.

But at least when you do bleeding, being a Lockhead system, it is much easier to bleed than Girling system fitted to those Land Rovers.

Even if it was a master cylinder that had seized, it is immaterial to the function of the push rod & linkages. I would give all linkages a dowsing in WD40 & when its free grease it up.

The other thing to check is that the brake pedal is not jammed in the floor plate. Over the clutch & brake pedals there is a split metal sheet, that divides to allow access to the pedal height adjusters. I would undo this plate then at least you have a bit more access to see whats going on. If the pedal has rotated a little it will jam or the pedal bent a little. It assumes the arc of rotation = curvature of pedal, which may no longer coincide & will foul the floor plate.

Humber brakes are fine, as I say better than in rotten old Land Rovers which can be a pain. (yes I do like Land Rovers but they are subservient to Humbers)