Bedford MWD restoration

Bit more progress today with the passenger side rear wheel box being finished

[ATTACH=CONFIG]123855[/ATTACH]

Then it was time to fire the old girl up and get it out of the shed, that's after removing all the accumulated crap from under it :D

[ATTACH=CONFIG]123856[/ATTACH]

I have to complete a number of jobs on the drivers side so need to turn the truck around to allow access.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]123857[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]123858[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]123859[/ATTACH]

Safely back in loads of stuff to do.

Wish mine look this good! Well done! :clap:....Malvern ?

• Like 1

I've only carried out the briefest of searches online, but the only device I can find that seems to fit the bill (8-inch, muzzle-loading projector still in use by the Second World War) is this, the 'Livens Projector':

Livens Projector

Basically a big chemical mortar that according to the article, remained on the books until the "early years of the Second World War", but obviously wouldn't have had much use operationally. Possibly a prime candidate for 'repurposing' the boxes?

Kevin

I seem to recall reading about an airfeild defence system used during the battle of Britain where rockets carrying a wire rope were fired in front of oncoming enemy aircraft I cannot remember what it was called or the caliber of the rockets used will continue to trawl my book collection in the hope of more info, could this box have been used to carry the charges as I'm struggling to think of anything else that used electric fused charges.

What you are thinking of is Z Batteries. Developed up Dear Old Fort Halstead in the 1930's . Both they and the Navy were looking at basic shotgun approch to mass bomber formations, throw a load of proximity fused ordnance up, and see what came done. There were batteries at Lessons Hill in Kent on the South East edge of London and at Kenley airfeild, near Carsholton that I know of.

Looking splendid out in the sunshine Jeremy, you've obviously had better weather than we have further west !!

the anti aircraft system you are thinking of is the The Parachute and Cable Defense System also known as as “Fizzing Onions” this was made up of boxes containing the rockets and cables raised above the ground by 2 feet and the boxes were set out in lines with 60ft between each box. When fired electrically 480ft of of steel cable rose to an altitude of 600ft, a parachute would open slowing the descent of the cable the idea being that enemy aircraft would fly into the forest of cables, when the increased drag on the aircraft would put the aircraft out of control.

Funnily enough I have just been writing about the use of this system in a piece I'm currently working on

Pete

There was a steam powered system like this used on His Majesty's Small Warships, mostly requisitioned fishing craft. It was steam powered tube that threw a grenade and wire up. Not popular so reports go. :D

Thanks Danny and Alex it's nearly done, and it only took 4 years :nut: as usual the devil is in the detail and like most restorations are they ever complete 100% :D there is always that small detail etc or that bit of kit that's needed, I'm still looking for odd bits for my Norton and I've owned that for 33 years :cool2: that's another thing about owning different flavours of millitary vehicles there is always something to be found at a sale or auto jumble to help empty the pockets :wow:

After losing a few days due to man flu I managed to drag myself down t'shed to get some of the myriad of small jobs finished on the drivers side

20170312_182553.jpg

Fitting angle iron to side boards.

20170312_145244.jpg

Fitted the timber above the tool box and finished the rubbing strakes.

20170312_145227.jpg

Angle irons to the wheel boxes both sides.

Edited by rampant rivet

• 3 weeks later...

Wheel box's finally finished along with the mudguards / mudflaps.

had a problem with the fitting f he front wings, decide to take off the bckts that help stiffen them up, only to find the offside bckt distorted bit of gent persuasion and all is well :-D

100_6503.jpg

bedford and mossy pics 023.jpg

Edited by rampant rivet

well lets see if things have improved, had a look at a pair of spare front wings this morning and found this - anchor and letter A on front of nearside wing. Any ideas chaps ?.       

after swapping the bckts and re profiling one I have now managed to re fit the wing and sorted the mud flap .

Hmm same old problem still !!!!! ??????

100_6537.jpg

100_6538.jpg

Edited by rampant rivet

well lets see if things have improved, had a look at a pair of spare front wings this morning and found this -

anchor and letter A on front of nearside wing. Any ideas chaps ?.

after swapping the bckts and re profiling one I have now managed to re fit the wing and sorted the mud flap .

Hmm same old problem still !!!!! ??????

Jez.. to he left

of the anchor and A marking is a plate mounted by four screws/riverts .I have the four holes on my wing and wondered what they a are for ??????

anchor and letter A on front of nearside wing. Any ideas chaps ?.

Hi. This marking was used by HMS Vectis, Cowes on the Isle of Wight. We have an MWD on the IOW that was "Left behind" after the war that served at HMS Vectis. During restoration this marking was found. However no Gtee is was not used elsewhere. HMS Vectis was involved in the naval planning for D-Day.......so presume it was a Naval marking

Not a massive amount of progress lately, Flat spot sorted by tweaking the timing a bit but still more to do to get the engine running sweet mid range. Can't for the life of me find my spare dizzy so will persevere with the one fitted at the mo.

Have managed to sort out both rear view mirrors and O/S wing refitted with re profiled bckt which made a vast difference on its fit. N/S wing final fitting along with mud flap next to do.

100_6541.jpg

Edited by rampant rivet