How does the crash tender appliance on back of the Fordson Wot.1 and Austin K.6 work

fastcar66

The FORDSON WOT1 A is 1945 crash truck .It had its own FORD V8 power unit that drove the foam making pump that supplied the top nozzle & a hose connection both sides of the pump house The first picture was taken by myself at WESTLANDS about 1978 .I went to buy it . All so AUSTIN K2 AEC 6x6 MATODOR . Don't know wot harpenden to them .I do have pictures of the 1942 WOT 1 crash tender i restored if you want then posted .Can copy information from 1945 operations manual if you want it (Don't think crash body was put on a K6 only by AIRFIX ) T CORBIN

Trying to find info on this appliance is nearly as rare as rocking horse poop.

Thanks T.Corbin for the valuable info you have given, i have nearly finished building the models but am stuck on how the pump actually worked ( curiosity ) and how the pumping control panel looks. im more than interested in how the pump worked.

I would love a copy of the 1945 operations manual as well as any pics you may have.

Cheers and thankyou for your support.

The Royal Navy version of the early Thornycroft Nubian crash tender had the same rear facing monitor set up (I think). The RAF had the same chassis with a similar cab but different fire fighting equipment and was known as the Mk5.

One of these RN versions survives at the Museum of RAF Firefighting at RAF Scampton if you wanted to see the set up in the flesh.

The Canadian airforce also used the type - picture below...

CanadianThornycroft.jpg

The one at Scampton has appeared elswhere on the forum, pic here when it was at Manston:

DSCF0016.jpg

The Ford flathead V8 was used (mounted just behind the cab) as a pumping engine.

Hope of help!

Edited by Paul H

• 6 years later...