Parts needed for 4.5-inch BL Gun restoration.

Hi guys,

We are currently restoring a 4.5-inch field gun Which is far from complete. The carriage and many of the parts are the same as the more common 5.5-inch gun. If anyone has any bit cluttering their garage and would like to see them go to a good home, please let me know.

Best regards,

James.

Edited by James Shopland

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes we were very lucky to find a barrel and yes it does have the jacket; doubly lucky :)

All we need to do now is find a 5.5-inch barrel for the other carriage!

Below is a marking we found on the outer leg of the left trail (looking from the breech end).

Any ideas anyone?

4.5 Restoration4.JPG

The reason I asked is that these pictures are of the markings I found on my 5.5's [ATTACH=CONFIG]74386[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]74387[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]74388[/ATTACH]

Sorry Mel,

Nothing quite so exciting just a plain old white circle. Having said that I will take a closer look over the whole gun. Thanks for the photo though. How long have your had your 5.5-inch?

James.

Hi James, I found the markings on the jacket on the opposite side to the oil gravity tank, and as far as I know they are for the Herts & Beds Yeomanry, 201 Field Battery. I have seen some old pictures with markings/numbers on the trail, but I think from memory they were on the other side of the carriage from yours, though this is not to say they wouldn't have been on both sides. I will try and find them again!! I got them in 2007. Cheers, Mel :)

Hi James, I found the markings on the jacket on the opposite side to the oil gravity tank, and as far as I know they are for the Herts & Beds Yeomanry, 201 Field Battery. I have seen some old pictures with markings/numbers on the trail, but I think from memory they were on the other side of the carriage from yours, though this is not to say they wouldn't have been on both sides. I will try and find them again!! I got them in 2007. Cheers, Mel :)

Thanks Mel.

You have two 5.5-inch? I am rapidly coming to the conclusion one is enough or so my girlfriend would have me believe!

You are right about the markings :) I will take a closer look over the weekend. Obviously my barrel and carriage were never matched in service but we might find something, somewhere.

Where are you based? I might have to impose and take some pictures of your guns.

Best regards,

James.

4.5 Restoration3.JPG

Hi James, I am based in Bradford!! Just let me know what you want pictures of and I'll do them for you no probs. Send me a p.m with your details and a list of the areas you need pics of. I have attached a pic of the trail markings, I will have to try and find the others as this is not brilliant. Cheers, Mel 48-4887-QQQ8G00Z.jpg

Hi James, I am based in Bradford!! Just let me know what you want pictures of and I'll do them for you no probs. Send me a p.m with your details and a list of the areas you need pics of. I have attached a pic of the trail markings, I will have to try and find the others as this is not brilliant. Cheers, Mel [ATTACH=CONFIG]74397[/ATTACH]

Lol, well, at lest you are still in England! Your offer is much appreciated. I have photographed a number of guns including the one at Firepower and the one for sale at R&R Services but there is always something you miss. Something I have noted is the differences between the welded trail and the riveted trail; do you you when they changed the design?

At the moment I am trying to measure and locate the two nuts that hold the barrel to the recoil system along with numerous other bits such as sight, sight bracket, tools, spades and 'elephant' cover to name but a few!

Yours etc....

Edited by James Shopland
Incompetence.

The old girl was used as a test platform and then ended up at Stafford Armouries minus barrel and recoil system.....

James ,

I believe they came out of shoeburyness,there was a major clear out several years ago.I have a couple of carriages here that came from the clear out.

The guy you bought them from seemed to have a good 'Contact' :cool2: and bagged quite a bit if gear.

Rob...................rnixartillery.

James ,

I believe they came out of shoeburyness,there was a major clear out several years ago.I have a couple of carriages here that came from the clear out.

The guy you bought them from seemed to have a good 'Contact' :cool2: and bagged quite a bit if gear.

Rob...................rnixartillery.

Think you might be right!

Lol, well, at lest you are still in England! Your offer is much appreciated. I have photographed a number of guns including the one at Firepower and the one for sale at R&R Services but there is always something you miss. Something I have noted is the differences between the welded trail and the riveted trail; do you you when they changed the design?

At the moment I am trying to measure and locate the two nuts that hold the barrel to the recoil system along with numerous other bits such as sight, sight bracket, tools, spades and 'elephant' cover to name but a few!

Yours etc....

Hi James, not sure when they changed the carriages. But the Mk2 certainly is more straight forward than the Mk1 type, it must have taken ages to do all that riveting!!! I found a few pictures for you, you may have already seen them though. Cheers, Mel [ATTACH=CONFIG]74403[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]74404[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]74405[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]74406[/ATTACH]

Hi James, not sure when they changed the carriages. But the Mk2 certainly is more straight forward than the Mk1 type, it must have taken ages to do all that riveting!!! I found a few pictures for you, you may have already seen them though. Cheers, Mel [ATTACH=CONFIG]74403[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]74404[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]74405[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]74406[/ATTACH]

Sorry Mel, It wont let me view your pictures :-(

Thanks Mel, I have not seen any of those pictures of the 4.5-inch guns. They are very impressive when set up. We are currently having issues pulling the pin on the central trail lock that the breech is fixed to, when in travelling mode. All fun and games! Thanks again for posting the photos; you are not alone on the PC illiteracy, I certainly struggle too.