Part identification help

matadormike

Question

Hi,

I recently found this lurking near my Spartan, I'm not sure how long its been lurking in the grass since its been parked there on and off since I bought it last year, facing both forward and backward.

photo (1).JPG

Its approx 28mm across flats.

I'm hoping someone can point me in the direction of where its from, I'm thinking final drives, maybe oil level plug.

I'm going to have a good look round the vehicle next weekend if the weather is on my side.

Unfortunately the website below wasn't a great deal of help, and my parts list draws a blank.

http://www.nsn-now.com/Indexing/ViewDetail.aspx?QString=5365998295391

Any ideas?

Many thanks

Mike

photo.JPG

11 answers to this question

The first thing which comes to mind is a fluid flywheel filler plug. I don't have the Fox parts book with me right now, but it looks like it's the right part number in this photo I have of our flywheel..

Dscf0009.jpg

Has the hull been drilled to let the water out? It's possible that whoever did that may have tapped the holes and fitted this as a drain plug.

Chris

Has the hull been drilled to let the water out? It's possible that whoever did that may have tapped the holes and fitted this as a drain plug.

Chris

Thanks Chris,

There are a number of holes in the bottom of the hull, and a part of the hull was removed when it had the diesel fitted and a new sump guard fabricated.

There's a good chance it could be being used as a drain plug, at least if its not originally a Spartan part then its less likely to cause a major issue if its missing, I'm still determined to find out where its come from though.

Thanks again

Mike

I don't know the part Nos. but when I served on CVR(W) the fluid flywheel plugs, the hub oil filler/level plugs and the hull

drain plugs all appeared to be the same. So most likely to have been used as a hull drain plug in your case.

Don't know if this helps. :-)

Edited by ChasSomT.
Brain failure.

Thanks for the replies.

I'll keep looking, its obviously meant to be attached somewhere!

First port of call will be check all the oil levels, then for a drain plug I think.

If its a J60 sump plug it might have got left over from the engine swap.

Cheers

Mike

Mike

It is definitely a J60 drain plug. As you dont have a J60 shouldnt be a problem but im pretty sure the same plug is used in the final drives which could be a problem. From recollection there are at least 3 of these in each fd, one at the bottom for draining and 2 filler plugs one at the front and one at the back so worth checking those. If you dont need it I will give you a couple of quid plus post for it as it looks in good nick !

Cheers

Tim